News ‘The Muppets Present… Great Moments in History’ Returns for a Limited Run in February

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Well for 1 it’s not a dealbreaker. But your argument could be applied to every live show. Why pay the costume characters in the beauty and the beast stage show, you could replace them with video right?

You’re also spinning what I said. I was saying the puppeteers are very much performing a live show. I wasn’t saying the average guest would watch it multiple times.

The 2nd argument is the equity performer is more complicated than the puppetters, which is why he hasn’t returned. It would actually be a better argument to replace the equity performer with a video screen the puppets could interact with.

Your comparing People to Puppets as if they're cut from the same cloth. They're not. Only puppets are cut from cloth. Wocka, Wocka! Beyond that the argument falls apart, IMO. But you're entitled to your opinion. My statement was that the show could be done with screens and be just as effective, possibly more cost effective. If you think otherwise well then that's OK. Thanks for your time.

Disneyson

Because that's not the same.
This would be an upgrade to that because it features a live performer for interaction.
Dapper Dan digital decor would be something else entirely, IMO.

Just curious, why do you personally feel that this is the case, that it’s ”not the same” to replace the Dapper Dans with screens? Because you can see the performer’s faces? Or because the walk freely? Or is it because they use microphones?

Would you feel similar if the Angler Fish in Nemo was replaced by a large screen? Or if they removed all physical figments from Imagination and replaced them with screens, like the rest of the attraction? The Shaman/Kylo/Elsa/Carnataurus? These characters have B modes, yes. But do you personally feel that they should trash the animatronics and permanently put the B-modes on, or would you ride through feeling a little cheated and ripped off seeing these versions? And, if you personally don’t care, do you really think other guests won’t see it at least feel a severe drop in quality? These questions aren’t meant to be accusatory, just - in my opinion, humans can always tell the difference between live performance, physical figures, and screens. And I find that people are rapidly losing interest in screen-based attractions because they can see those things at home or in the palms of their hands.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
By any other means, I'm simply saying that the show can go on and be just as "effective" (IMO) should TDO want to keep the muppets but not the performers. They could be AAs for that matter. I'm just saying TDO could. Not that they should. As for the "Why?" if it saves them money AND keeps the show around then why not? If it doesn't save them money then this whole discussion was moot. Eh.

That said, Digital Dapper Dans and Screen-based Angler fish is where I draw the line! lol

Disneyson

By any other means, I'm simply saying that the show can go on and be just as "effective" (IMO) should TDO want to keep the muppets but not the performers. They could be AAs for that matter. I'm just saying TDO could. Not that they should. As for the "Why?" if it saves them money AND keeps the show around then why not? If it doesn't save them money then this whole discussion was moot. Eh.

That said, Digital Dapper Dans and Screen-based Angler fish is where I draw the line! lol

Agreed, they could do it (AAs would not behave like these particular Muppets, they can only really get away with it with Statler and Waldorf because they move slowly), but I personally disagree that the would be as effective, but that’s a matter of opinion I suppose. I’m happy to agree to disagree!

TrainsOfDisney

Would the castle show be just as effective with videos of the characters? Disney has done creative video based effects in the windows of MK and Epcot. But those aren’t live shows.

At some point if the worlds most visited theme park can’t afford a puppet show we have bigger problems.

FoozieBear

I still say it'd be better if the puppets were filmed footage and they interacted with a live towncrier. (If we're talking budget friendly performance) Would it look hokey? perhaps. But It'd work just the same. Of course we'd lose the puppeteers which I suppose would be an insult to Muppet purists.

With no offense meant - I think this would be a terrible idea. Loses the whole specialty of seeing the Muppets live. They exist and live within *our* world and now there they are, right in front of your very eyes! To lose a live character for a screen would be the biggest waste of the Muppet property considering their rare ability to feel far more real than any other Disney character.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair... and I’ve got the popcorn ready if magentapanther shows up... I’m a pretty big muppets fan. Seeing the muppets performed live is a big deal to me. At D23 a few years back when I got to see Steve Whitemere perform Kermit and Rizzo and David Goelz perform Gonzo... that was right up there with hearing Richard Sherman sing feed the birds.

FoozieBear

To be fair... and I’ve got the popcorn ready if magentapanther shows up... I’m a pretty big muppets fan. Seeing the muppets performed live is a big deal to me. At D23 a few years back when I got to see Steve Whitemere perform Kermit and Rizzo and David Goelz perform Gonzo... that was right up there with hearing Richard Sherman sing feed the birds.

Agreed! I love Muppet-Vision 3D for instance, but there's a certain magic in the ability to see the Muppets within such close proximity in a live show like this. It's such a wonderful sense of magic that you're immediately swept up within and it works so well. It's cool to see that Disney even managed to integrate the Muppets into live theme park spaces, as its been an obvious struggle ever since Disney wanted to bring Muppet characters into the parks beginning in the 90s.

ImperfectPixie

Would the castle show be just as effective with videos of the characters? Disney has done creative video based effects in the windows of MK and Epcot. But those aren’t live shows.

At some point if the worlds most visited theme park can’t afford a puppet show we have bigger problems.
I don't worry about WDW not being able to afford it...I worry about management *thinking* they can't afford it.

awoogala

So you want Sam Eagle on a spit???? ;)
no, I just thought maybe one AA at the top, greeting you, or inside, wouldn't be amiss. Honestly, I was hoping for a full on Muppets show-like the history one-inside, but I know they would never make me that happy. (I'm against the IP everywhere in EPCOT, but that ship has sailed, so I might as well get more MUPPETS!!)

Cmdr_Crimson

Unless anything is happening to opening they could have Sam going there for the grand opening and perhaps Miss Piggy could oh Pop up and be stunned finding out what it is and hitting him to officially open it up..
CrJYTTvWgAAxgqB.jpg:large

Sweet Thing

I guess my point is; would it make a difference. What's live*? A puppeteer doing the same script and motions day in and out? I get it though. I would be slightly miffed but as a last case scenario I could see it working. But yes, I would be disappointed.
Why not film a show Like Festival of the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast and just show that on screens? Those are just performers doing the same script and motions day in and day out.

Magenta Panther

You would for sure think fotlk would be just as effective without the puppets correct?

What isn't more effective without puppets? FOTLK was a major disappointment for me, even though the puppets used in the show are vastly more appealing than Jim Henson's stuff. The show is mostly just those puppets and costumed performers bouncing around on a trampoline. Feh. What a letdown. I'd take a good 3D film done like Philharmagic over that.

TrainsOfDisney

What isn't more effective without puppets? FOTLK was a major disappointment for me, even though the puppets used in the show are vastly more appealing than Jim Henson's stuff. The show is mostly just those puppets and costumed performers bouncing around on a trampoline. Feh. What a letdown. I'd take a good 3D film done like Philharmagic over that.

Yes!!!! I’ve been waiting for you to chime in!! Where have you been! (That’s not sarcasm by the way, your post just made me laugh out loud).

I can’t imagine what you thought of the old lion king puppet show at the magic kingdom, the one philharmagic replaced.

Magenta Panther

Yes!!!! I’ve been waiting for you to chime in!! Where have you been! (That’s not sarcasm by the way, your post just made me laugh out loud).

I can’t imagine what you thought of the old lion king puppet show at the magic kingdom, the one philharmagic replaced.

I never got to see that. How lame was it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom