Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

skiir97

Do the problems come down to only one or two stubborn reliability issues in AAs, vehicle systems or software? Or are they playing whack-a-mole with multiple, interrelated problems.

Don’t know how true it is but I remember reading a post somewhere on these boards that one of the major problems was WiFi connectivity being dropped (though I think they’ve fixed that issue) and sometimes the elevators not locking the vehicle in place (or sensors not detecting that the vehicle has been locked) causing the entire ride to fault immediately.

MickeyLuv'r

With any character: people have an emotional connection to characters they know. If we don't know Vi, we don't know how to react.

Over the history of WDW, if you look at successful WDW attractions, most are either based on characters we know from movies/stories or else stock characters- such as pirates. If you look at WDW shows/attractions that didn't last, many of them had little known characters.

Rich Brownn

Do the problems come down to only one or two stubborn reliability issues in AAs, vehicle systems or software? Or are they playing whack-a-mole with multiple, interrelated problems.
Consider this: there are at least 19 doors just in the ride themselves. A misstep on 18 of them would cause a ride stop. Thats just the doors, not even counting AAs, projections, sound, lighting that all have to synch up with the trackless cars. :D

mikejs78

Premium Member
With any character: people have an emotional connection to characters they know. If we don't know Vi, we don't know how to react.

Over the history of WDW, if you look at successful WDW attractions, most are either based on characters we know from movies/stories or else stock characters- such as pirates. If you look at WDW shows/attractions that didn't last, many of them had little known characters.
Sure. Like Splash Mountain.

Tom Morrow

I like the concept of introducing new characters to the IP in the land, but they should be there in addition to more characters we know. Vi seems to be there in place of them. I see her almost every time I visit, but she is usually just walking somewhere and most guests don't even realize she is a character.

Consider this: there are at least 19 doors just in the ride themselves. A misstep on 18 of them would cause a ride stop. Thats just the doors, not even counting AAs, projections, sound, lighting that all have to synch up with the trackless cars. :D
Yep. The amount of moving parts and systems that have to communicate with each other on Rise is perhaps higher than any other ride in existence. This is one reason why theme park operations nerds, the ones who aren't being contrarians, are so awestruck by it.

MickeyLuv'r

Sure. Like Splash Mountain.
Thanks for mentioning Splash.

Some of us are actually old enough to recall the Disney movie.

Most other folks immediately recognize the characters are classic folk characters: the sly fox, the trickster rabbit, the dumb bear.

The sly fox is right out of pretty much EVERY children's folks tale, isn't it? Fox and the Crow, Gingerbread Man, The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Wasn't that archetype also played upon in the recent Zootopia? We were supposed to assume the fox was the bad guy, and the lamb was innocent?

Brer Rabbit comes right out of (African) American folklore, and African traditions before that. At the time the movie was made, Americans actually told folks tales to their children, so they may well have (likely) known these specific tales. Are you old enough to know the tall tales of Paul Bunyan? Pecos Bill?

Most of the early Disney fairytales long predate Disney. As soon as you saw the witch, you had some idea she was a bad guy, right?

And to bring it back to Star Wars, the original movie was full of classic character types.

ImperfectPixie

Thanks for mentioning Splash.

Some of us are actually old enough to recall the Disney movie.

Most other folks immediately recognize the characters are classic folk characters: the sly fox, the trickster rabbit, the dumb bear.

The sly fox is right out of pretty much EVERY children's folks tale, isn't it? Fox and the Crow, Gingerbread Man, The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Wasn't that archetype also played upon in the recent Zootopia? We were supposed to assume the fox was the bad guy, and the lamb was innocent?

Brer Rabbit comes right out of (African) American folklore, and African traditions before that.

At the time the movie was made, American adults actually told folks tales to their children, so they would have (likely) known these specific characters. I don't know, are you old enough to know the tall tales of Paul Bunyan? Pecos Bill?

You know most of the early Disney fairytales long predate Disney, right? As soon as you see the witch, you have some idea she's a bad guy, right?

And to bring it back to Star Wars, the original movie was full of classic character types. As soon as we see Darth Vader, we have a pretty good sense, he's a bad guy.
I remember Song of the South, and it kills me that today's society is so quick in their desire to bury history just because some of it is uncomfortable. I have a set of Disney books from the 1970s that my boys love to read that includes the stories you mentioned. We also have the American Legends DVD (by Disney) that includes some of the old favorites like Paul Bunyon and Johnny Appleseed, as well as at least one new animation (John Henry).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep. The amount of moving parts and systems that have to communicate with each other on Rise is perhaps higher than any other ride in existence. This is one reason why theme park operations nerds, the ones who aren't being contrarians, are so awestruck by it.
Rise is awfully complicated, but I’d still venture Energy was a comparable attraction with its complicated bleeding edge for 1982 technology when it first opened.

Mike S

Rise is awfully complicated, but I’d still venture Energy was a comparable attraction with its complicated bleeding edge for 1982 technology when it first opened.
I’d say the better examples would be Imagination and Horizons. Those two couldn’t even make it for opening day.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I like the concept of introducing new characters to the IP in the land, but they should be there in addition to more characters we know. Vi seems to be there in place of them. I see her almost every time I visit, but she is usually just walking somewhere and most guests don't even realize she is a character.

They already have Ray, Kylo, Chewie and now R2 running around so it’s a good start.

I really like the Vi character but I know who she is and what she’s up to. Most people don’t. Having her be more incorporated in the Kylo show would help a lot.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't know I'd call myself a 'park operations nerd," but a thing has to actually work to make me feel truly awestruck by it.

As Wyatt Earp said, "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."

I also like these quotes:

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking." Henry Ford

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." Bill Gates

"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity; without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Before anything else, preparation is the key to success." Alexander Graham Bell

Doug Means

Sorry i was not willing to surf this entire thread, but looking for a tip...If its just me and my wife trying to get a boarding group, should we both be on the app trying? If this is so does she need her own MDE log in?

aluisi

Sorry i was not willing to surf this entire thread, but looking for a tip...If its just me and my wife trying to get a boarding group, should we both be on the app trying? If this is so does she need her own MDE log in?

Make sure both your ticket and your wife's are added into the app before you enter the park. You can have her download the app and add both of your tickets to her own profile. It would be a good idea to have two separate profiles. I am not sure how the app would act if you had you and your wife both logged into the app under one profile (AKA your's on both phones) I haven't tested it.

You both can try for a boarding pass. But here is where you need to be careful. Once either of you snag a boarding pass it will state on the other persons phone that you are already in a boarding group if you leave your boarding group you will be added to a new one (or it would say back up). People get trigger happy and dont read. So make sure if you are both trying for it the second it says you are in a boarding group to not go any further or you will lose your initial group. I did it with 6 people all our tickets linked into each others profiles and I told them you see it say you are in a boarding group to stop and just close the app. I also got stupid excited and yelled 16!!! when i got us all a group so that stopped them and took their attention off the app lol.

Marc Davis Fan

I've been informed that a big percentage of the downtime is due to the mechanism that locks the ride vehicle into the simulator base (specifically the sensor systems that ensure it's locked in correctly). Can anyone corroborate this?

If they care enough about the experience, this means they might be able to develop a new version of that system, so it minimizes those problems. Unfortunately, especially under current management, it's possible that they might change the ride experience instead - which, needless to say, would be tragic considering the accomplishment this attraction represents (and how it allows Disney to once again stand out against its competition).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom