News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Clearly, faith in the Disney WiFi is little to none. I understand the idea of going with your carriers data - but did I read @lentesta correctly, going with the WiFi, in front of Disney Jr, is by far the best option. Or is this just specific to TMobile users?

Yes, if everything wen't perfectly. If it dropped packets or there was something wrong with the server or the wifi decided to get patchy, you'll be well behind a lot of people using cell data.

So the gamble here is you might get a lower boarding group using wifi if everything works perfectly, but you might have multi-second delays if things don't, and with every second there are hundreds of other people getting their boarding groups.

That's how I understood this.

MJJME

Do we have any indication that's the case? The numbers are ridiculously bad the last 6 weeks.
There is no evidence of increased numbers per boarding group.....There hasn't been anything confirmed by Disney or any outsides sources of numbers per group...Also, why would it change? It is an arbitrary number as I mentioned earlier...…...This graph is very telling and doesn't look good at all...….

rotr-jpg.449873

MJJME

There is no evidence of increased numbers per boarding group.....There hasn't been anything confirmed by Disney or any outsides sources of numbers per group...Also, why would it change? It is an arbitrary number as I mentioned earlier...…...This graph is very telling and doesn't look good at all...….

rotr-jpg.449873
Im not a CMT but if this were a stock, I'd say "turn those machines back on and sell Mortimer"

AshaNeOmah

No argument from me, but I just can't seem to consolidate dropping rider numbers this many weeks after the really busy holidays with what I thought it would be by now. I was there from 12/23 to 1/2 and really thought it was going to hit full stride those days they hit 170+. Now it's just embarrassing.

KevinPage

Do we have any indication that's the case? The numbers are ridiculously bad the last 6 weeks.

Nope. No idea if this is Disney’s way of weaning people off this system or increasing the size of the groups to make people “feel better“. Getting a 75 sounds a lot better than 125. Probably makes less complaints at Guest Relations, even though it’s total smoke and mirrors.

Most guests are ignorant and feel better with a 75, then a 125, even if the groups move slower throughout the day and means the same boarding call time.

Also could keep people in the park longer and causing less people to bounce to another park as well.

jinx8402

rotr-jpg.449873

We've seen them change many things about the BG process already, why would it be impossible for them to adjust the amount of people per group? This could allow for them to adjust to get the most efficiency out of calling BGs to the ride and hours of operation.

I think a better look would be at their graphs indicating Groups per hour called compared to delays. Because total number of groups given out and called will absolutely be impacted by total number of people per group.

Here is the boarding groups called per hour:
BG_gph.png

Total count of delays and length of delay:
BG_delays.png

And delays as percentage of the day:
BG_delays_percent.png

Really, the only way to know if it is actually having worst days is the actual number of people exiting the ride per hour, and not BG processing.

MJJME

Its actually approximately the same pace as recent days...….they didn't start until group 15 today so that makes it only 47 groups called through almost 6 hours (8am-2pm)
based on that rate if they stopped calling groups at 7pm they would only call 86 BG's today.....for the 30 days between Dec 15 and Jan 15th they only called under 100 once and on New years eve alone it was north of 200

mikejs78

Premium Member
@
based on that rate if they stopped calling groups at 7pm they would only call 86 BG's today.....for the 30 days between Dec 15 and Jan 15th they only called under 100 once and on New years eve alone it was north of 200
@lentesta Any insight on this? Are they just having awful technical difficulties or has boarding group size increased?

MJJME

We've seen them change many things about the BG process already, why would it be impossible for them to adjust the amount of people per group? This could allow for them to adjust to get the most efficiency out of calling BGs to the ride and hours of operation.

I think a better look would be at their graphs indicating Groups per hour called compared to delays. Because total number of groups given out and called will absolutely be impacted by total number of people per group.

Here is the boarding groups called per hour:
View attachment 449927
Total count of delays and length of delay:
View attachment 449926
And delays as percentage of the day:
View attachment 449928

Really, the only way to know if it is actually having worst days is the actual number of people exiting the ride per hour, and not BG processing.
Correct and I agree with that 100%. That BG per hour looks somewhat similar...…...My only point was people per group is arbitrary and it doesn't matter if there are 10 groups of 1000 or 1000 groups of 10 since they don't have to call the next group until the quene is at satisfactory levels. Now it very well could be that they have changed and increased the people per group but based on BG and backup BG availability I would be surprised if that were the case

lentesta

Premium Member
Len, 2 questions:

1) is this internal feed part of the TP Lines app showing the discrepancy between posted and actual?

2) great article yesterday on cell/WiFi - what location(s) was determined to be amongst the better performing for cell service? (Assuming the network is the same as the one used during your testing)

Thanks!

1) It's Disney's private feed. TP does its own completely independent estimates. I haven't compared Disney's to ours in many years to see how they correspond.

I'm pretty sure Disney is also estimating actual wait time. When that field was part of the MDE feed, we tested the heck out of it to see how accurate it was. We ended up not using it in our models.

2) Thanks! That area over by Disney Junior in Animation Courtyard was oddly reliable. I'm going to see if anything in Echo Lake is also good. TSL was hard to get in to, so I'm not confident in the WiFi over there.

lentesta

Premium Member
@
@lentesta Any insight on this? Are they just having awful technical difficulties or has boarding group size increased?

I believe there's at least one specific technical difficulty that has come up in the last few weeks, that they're working on fixing.

Not sure about the boarding group size - I'll check with Steve, our statistician, who's actually in DHS all day today for this.

jinx8402

Now it very well could be that they have changed and increased the people per group but based on BG and backup BG availability I would be surprised if that were the case
But is that a function of less spots available for BG or the fact that it is now opening an hour later? There were a lot of complaints of people not wanting to be up at 5AM to get to the park at 6AM for a 7AM opening. But I would be there are more people willing to be at the park at 7:30 for a 8AM opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom