News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

flempoby

Just saw an article over at showing pictures of the castle moat being drained. The article mentions scaffolding is next. Dissappointed since I'll be there starting 2/28 and between all of the construction at EPCOT, the castle being covered in scaffolding and HS being a general mess, I wish I had delayed the trip for another year or so. Oh well.....

peter11435

Just saw an article over at ***** showing pictures of the castle moat being drained. The article mentions scaffolding is next. Dissappointed since I'll be there starting 2/28 and between all of the construction at EPCOT, the castle being covered in scaffolding and HS being a general mess, I wish I had delayed the trip for another year or so. Oh well.....
HS really isn’t bad anymore. Just Rise.

Just saw an article over at ***** showing pictures of the castle moat being drained. The article mentions scaffolding is next. Dissappointed since I'll be there starting 2/28 and between all of the construction at EPCOT, the castle being covered in scaffolding and HS being a general mess, I wish I had delayed the trip for another year or so. Oh well.....

I saw that same thing and to be honest, I think no one really knows what is next. The only thing we've heard officially from Disney is "in the coming weeks" we'll start to see work being done. Nothing has said it starting now or whatever work being done will include scrim and/or scaffolding. That article said it so matter of fact (like a lot of their articles to be honest) but doesn't have any source material to back it up. The fact is, we all have zero idea what the plan is and worst of all if the castle will get scrimmed/scaffoled up in the coming weeks, shame on Disney to announce this work so late when the plans must have been in place months ago.

Bocabear

Honestly it looks like the scaled back version of something that might have been more elaborate... It is certainly less spectacular than what they did during Disneyland's 50th
1582044211720.png
1582044514973.png

Now some people hated the Magic Mirror, but even if you remove that, there is more elaborate decor on the castle than the new plan...and remember, this was done to celebrate Disneyland's 50th...So we are getting a stripped back version for our own 50th Anniversary ... Just seems like they could do so much more...

peter11435

Honestly it looks like the scaled back version of something that might have been more elaborate... It is certainly less spectacular than what they did during Disneyland's 50th
View attachment 449895View attachment 449896
Now some people hated the Magic Mirror, but even if you remove that, there is more elaborate decor on the castle than the new plan...and remember, this was done to celebrate Disneyland's 50th...So we are getting a stripped back version for our own 50th Anniversary ... Just seems like they could do so much more...
This is not for the 50th anniversary. This is a castle refurbishment and a new permanent art direction for the castle. Any 50th overlay has not yet been announced and will be in addition to this.

Kman101

Not necessary, and there's so many other things that need attention before this, but it doesn't look bad either.

I see what you mean, but I've felt the castle was looking a little drab and tired for a while now so I'm pretty good with this. They were always going to do something for the 50th anyway and this is probably layer one.

Bocabear

This is not for the 50th anniversary. This is a castle refurbishment and a new permanent art direction for the castle. Any 50th overlay has not yet been announced and will be in addition to this.
I am very glad to hear that. If the gold is done right it will be beautiful and certainly make for great pictures. I am hoping we get the fountains in the moat....

ImperfectPixie

What's with all the pink?
Don't mind the gold, but hate the pink...
I really despise the pink...not everything has to be "girly colors". I also think they over-did the gold on the turret supports.

Gold paint doesn’t age well. It starts to look like poo. See Tomorrowland 98 at Disneyland.
I strongly disagree when done right

View attachment 449718
That is most definitely 23k gold leaf, and while yes, the sheets are thin (so thin that when pinched between your fingers, it disappears into your skin...I've done it), the finished gold will generally outlast whatever it is applied to (with the obvious exception being stone). I was a professional woodcarver for 20+ years, and we would regularly see signs, etc. come in that needed refinishing where the gold looked brand new, but the wood was literally rotting away. Gold-colored metallic paint, fake gold foils, bronzing powders...none will last outdoors without tarnishing to the point that they look brown.

Couple of little interesting tidbits...you can't clear-coat over 23k gold on wood...the gold will peel right off due to the temperature changes the wood goes through outside. Yet you MUST clear-coat over 23k gold on vehicles because grit from the road will wear it off extremely quickly.

Shops that go through a high volume of 23k gold leaf can save the "dust" leftover after burnishing and bring it to a qualified jeweler to be melted down and made into jewelry (this really only works for abstract pieces though, as 23k gold is extremely soft...and is why you only see 14k and 10k gold in jewelry stores).

Last edited:

The_Jobu

I really despise the pink...not everything has to be "girly colors". I also think they over-did the gold on the turret supports.

That is most definitely 23k gold leaf, and while yes, the sheets are thin (so thin that when pinched between your fingers, it disappears into your skin...I've done it), the finished gold will generally outlast whatever it is applied to (with the obvious exception being stone). I was a professional woodcarver for 20+ years, and we would regularly see signs, etc. come in that needed refinishing where the gold looked brand new, but the wood was literally rotting away. Gold-colored metallic paint, fake gold foils, bronzing powders...none will last outdoors without tarnishing to the point that they look brown.

Couple of little interesting tidbits...you can't clear-coat over 23k gold on wood...the gold will peel right off due to the temperature changes the wood goes through outside. Yet you MUST clear-coat over 23k gold on vehicles because grit from the road will wear it off extremely quickly.

Shops that go through a high volume of 23k gold leaf can save the "dust" leftover after burnishing and bring it to a qualified jeweler to be melted down and made into jewelry (this really only works for abstract pieces though, as 23k gold is extremely soft...and is why you only see 14k and 10k gold in jewelry stores).
And how would one go about gold leafing a magic band? Asking for a friend

ImperfectPixie

I agree. Every time I see someone do a gender reveal I throw up a little bit in my mouth. But there is one universal truth in the world -- when Disney makes something pink, it's for girls.
That's why I put the words "girly colors" in quotes. I'm a girl, I'm just not a fan of pink.

And how would one go about gold leafing a magic band? Asking for a friend
Good question, lol. I'd have to do some experimenting before I could give a definitive answer though...I've never gold-leafed plastic before, let alone something that needs to remain flexible. I would imagine that if you have a book of gold and some extra magic bands and want to play around, that any paint that adheres well to plastic could be used as a base in lieu of actual sizing (the oily "paint" used for gold leafing) so long as the gold isn't put on until the paint is nearly dry but not dry enough to create spots where the gold doesn't stick, and that finding a compatible clear coat that remains flexible would be the tricky part. How well it would hold up under regular use though is the REAL question.

KBLovedDisney

I agree. Every time I see someone do a gender reveal I throw up a little bit in my mouth. But there is one universal truth in the world -- when Disney makes something pink, it's for girls.
Husband wears purples, blues, reds, Easter colors...I wear black. No I'm not in mourning, well at least not at the moment. I just have always liked black.

I say Disney should start making some more black (and maybe silver) stuffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom