News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Next Big Thing

I actually think getting ride of the InnoEast Breezeway would look better with InnoWest demolished. I don't think they'll do it though because it's a shade structure that people hide under that also and is right next to MouseGears, so people hiding from sun or rain end up shopping a lot of times.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I actually think getting ride of the InnoEast Breezeway would look better with InnoWest demolished. I don't think they'll do it though because it's a shade structure that people hide under that also and is right next to MouseGears, so people hiding from sun or rain end up shopping a lot of times.
They need every bit of shade and shelter they can get with West being removed.

Idiots.

KBLovedDisney

I just heard that the lights in the ground are now gone
tenor.gif

AJDMB05

I just heard that the lights in the ground are now gone
tenor.gif
They'd be dumb to not bring them back though, right? Disney's all about Instagram-ready spots, this has to be such a minimal cost for something that we'd all appreciate. I know it feels like they enjoy deliberately stomping out our favorite memories from the park but this would just be cruel.

DreamfinderGuy

I’m really wondering how long the 2023 core is gonna last. CommuniCore lasted about 11 years, Innoventions 25. And when that time comes, what happens to the structures there? I really doubt they tear down the egg, but who’s to say if Moana will even still be relevant?

Figment82

I’ve been looking at some old CommuniCore photos and videos, just trying to console myself with all the recent closures and demolition. I came across this 1984 video with William Shatner explaining the WorldKey system. Aren’t Stargate and Sunrise Terrace swapped on the map? Or perhaps my eyes are seeing things.

So much potential in those buildings. :(

AJDMB05

I’m really wondering how long the 2023 core is gonna last. CommuniCore lasted about 11 years, Innoventions 25. And when that time comes, what happens to the structures there? I really doubt they tear down the egg, but who’s to say if Moana will even still be relevant?
This is honestly my biggest issue with the way the parks are headed. All this "more timeless, more relevant" talk, I don't think Moana is going to be remembered by many in the top 10 of Disney/Pixar movies ten years from now. This just doesn't feel like it's going to work for very long after it's built.

jt04

This is honestly my biggest issue with the way the parks are headed. All this "more timeless, more relevant" talk, I don't think Moana is going to be remembered by many in the top 10 of Disney/Pixar movies ten years from now. This just doesn't feel like it's going to work for very long after it's built.

That is why the IP will not overwhelm the new feature. Sort of like The Seas pavilion is not all Nemo. These IPs can easily be updated or swapped for new ones.

jt04

The core is being built as a permanent feature IMO. Basically it is a flex space that can host any content or event and as such can evolve as tastes and future customers/guests demand.

I expect we will eventually see two or three such 'spaces' at Epcot. And possibly these will become standard at all theme parks. IMO of course.

Josh Hendy

I agree about Moana ... far from a classic IMHO. To me, Atlantis is a similar film story wise, but better in almost every way.

Bocabear

I agree about Moana ... far from a classic IMHO. To me, Atlantis is a similar film story wise, but better in almost every way.
While I am not a fan of the Moana Water feature, remember that Splash Mountain is based on Song Of The South....which was completely forgotten when they built that attraction... A great attraction can make any IP relevant... I have huge doubts that the Moana Water splash zone will be a great attraction... I think it will just be a part of the landscape as you walk to Soarin' and The Seas...

Josh Hendy

I have huge doubts that the Moana Water splash zone will be a great attraction... I think it will just be a part of the landscape as you walk to Soarin' and The Seas...
Ok should be fine for a splash zone, just part of the landscape as you say, like the Test Track spray zone thingie.

Bocabear

Ok should be fine for a splash zone, just part of the landscape as you say, like the Test Track spray zone thingie.
Exactly...But we are losing so much of the park to accommodate this change... If they just added it to the walkway to The Seas without tearing down building, it would have been fine... Especially if they overhauled The Seas to match...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They'd be dumb to not bring them back though, right? Disney's all about Instagram-ready spots, this has to be such a minimal cost for something that we'd all appreciate. I know it feels like they enjoy deliberately stomping out our favorite memories from the park but this would just be cruel.

People are happy taking pictures in front of a purple wall, why spend anything more?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The core is being built as a permanent feature IMO. Basically it is a flex space that can host any content or event and as such can evolve as tastes and future customers/guests demand.

I expect we will eventually see two or three such 'spaces' at Epcot. And possibly these will become standard at all theme parks. IMO of course.

Oh, you mean like the Communicore buildings could have been used as flexible spaces if they just gutted them, cleaned them, and repurposed them?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Leaving aside the question of whether or not an IP attraction belongs in Epcot, I actually think Moana was one of the better Disney films of the decade. Certainly better than Frozen, even if it wasn't as successful.

jt04

Oh, you mean like the Communicore buildings could have been used as flexible spaces if they just gutted them, cleaned them, and repurposed them?

Yes, but I think they are going for an eclectic mix of architecture over being creatively constrained by symmetry. Each structure being unique gives Imagineers more "leeway". See what I did there? 🗽

TwilightZone

I've been sharing martins vids on epcot to a friend of mine gradually, I share this because he's outside the disney fandom and I think his thoughts on epcot classic attractions would be interesting and maybe a bit helpful to those in the fandom. Forgive me if this doesn't exactly fit here.
Wonders of Life: Goofy about Health stuck out like a sore thumb in an otherwise IP less pavilion. The preshow for Body Wars is boring (probably because it over explains), but the ride itself is solid and a lot of the special effects still age well.
Innoventions: what happened to Innoventions is depressing, especially when it used to be a lot of cool gadgets and stuff. Understandable why the buildings aren't being used for that anymore, but does agree they should have been modified for smaller things rather than go away forever on one side.
Imagination trilogy: Figment's cgi model is the most impressive thing about the 90s and 00s one. Very fluid and cartoony for the time period. He hates how figment's character became annoying. Doesn't mind what happens to the ride as long as Figment is kept in some sort of attraction and not used just as a mascot or gone forever. Noticed a lot of unamused/bored kids on the 00s version of the ride.
Test Track 1.0: Looked fun, the post show is a bit too "car commercial" for his tastes though.
Horizons: Kinda boring and a bit overrated. He views it as charming and found the space segment and ending enjoyable, but found the rest of the ride lacked a certain "wholeness" other attractions I've shown him had.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

Exactly...But we are losing so much of the park to accommodate this change... If they just added it to the walkway to The Seas without tearing down building, it would have been fine... Especially if they overhauled The Seas to match...
Yes agreed, an even easier fix. Adjust the wave pump at The Seas entrance so that it would spray you as you enter the beach freezer queue. Problem solved. CM could hand you a Coke too. The Seas, Moana and Club Cool all in one. LOLnotLOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom