News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was surprised at the number of packet drops (almost 6%) on the WiFi in the morning. Afternoon and evenings seem to be much better.

Your requests are likely still going as HTTPS over TCP, but if one of those packets gets dropped, the time it takes to re-transmit is probably significant with respect to which boarding group you get, if any.

Ping packets are 64 bytes long. At 6% loss per packet, there's a decent chance that a single long HTTP request has multiple failures. (I'd have to check the length of an API call.) Heck, we could probably calculate the odds that one guest's request has multiple failures during the re-try.
Pity the poor tourists who have to rely on WiFi.
Test Track opened nearly two years late.
18 months. Though late is the wrong word. The opening was delayed until they were happy they could keep it running at a consistent level unlike Rise.

They had a huge T&A period for TT too.

MJJME

This is a very disturbing trend...……...

Attachments

• ROTR.jpg
    ROTR.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 524

MichRX7

Premium Member
The most depressing thing is seeing MF:SR jump up to a 50 minute wait in the first two minutes. How does anyone get there that fast? I know I can't at my age. Our plan was to rope drop that. And SDD was at 80 minutes by that time.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The most depressing thing is seeing MF:SR jump up to a 50 minute wait in the first two minutes. How does anyone get there that fast? I know I can't at my age. Our plan was to rope drop that. And SDD was at 80 minutes by that time.

Is there a rope drop strategy for this? Is there a rope drop strategy thread I'm missing? Do people try for boarding groups in line for other things or while running to other things?

MichRX7

Premium Member
Is there a rope drop strategy for this? Is there a rope drop strategy thread I'm missing? Do people try for boarding groups in line for other things or while running to other things?

I don't know of a thread, it was just my plan. We didn't FP MF:SR for this reason. Now I'm doubting my plan, but it is a bit late for that. I'll make the kids "fast-walk" there after someone secures a boarding group.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Can someone explain this one? Right now at 8:41am they are on groups 15-23 according to the app. What happened to groups 1-14? Did they already pass through the scan point? Everyone in those groups? Just seems odd that if you have an hour to get there after your group is called they'd all have already gotten there and got on. I only ask because if I get an early number like that I still am going to try and get through MF:SR first if I am able.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Can someone explain this one? Right now at 8:41am they are on groups 15-23 according to the app. What happened to groups 1-14? Did they already pass through the scan point? Everyone in those groups? Just seems odd that if you have an hour to get there after your group is called they'd all have already gotten there and got on. I only ask because if I get an early number like that I still am going to try and get through MF:SR first if I am able.

They don't start at zero every day. I've read a couple theories about the first few groups being test groups for the boarding group system, but I don't know if that's a thing because for sure some people have received group 1 before.

kbass24emtp

This morning, multiple tests on my phone at 8am. Even force-closed the app twice and restarted and was still able to get in regular group (well, at least the screen where it yelled at me that no one was in the park yet). At 8:01, got backup group and the next try all gone.
I too did a test run, but I did none of the tricks. All I did was clear all background apps. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. Had the app open and hit “find out more”. Once I got to the not in park I just hit the back arrow on the top of the app to get to the main screen and started over. Did this three times and got in to a regular group all three times.
Phone is IPhone 11 on att network in St.Louis. We’ll see how it goes for real Saturday when we are in the park.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I too did a test run, but I did none of the tricks. All I did was clear all background apps. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. Had the app open and hit “find out more”. Once I got to the not in park I just hit the back arrow on the top of the app to get to the main screen and started over. Did this three times and got in to a regular group all three times.
Phone is IPhone 11 on att network in St.Louis. We’d see how it goes for real Saturday when we are in the park.

I wouldn't call that "none of the tricks" since that's exactly the Demarke method :hilarious: :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom