Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

SuddenStorm

I'm reminded of entry level CM's wielding their status as a sort of validation for the nonsense they spew on Disneyland fan sites. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than "Well, I used to work that and this obscure piece of history is actually completely false, the official Disney line is ....". Cast members aren't insiders, and they aren't historians.

I've always enjoyed WDW Pro's posts- but he has said a lot about changes in Lucasfilm that I haven't seen actually happen yet. And being an insider in one thing doesn't make you an authority for every facet of the Walt Disney Company.

DarkMetroid567

Like that remastered Metroid Prime trilogy?

I keep my Wii U around just to play my disc of Metroid Prime Trilogy if I ever feel like it.
I'm reminded of entry level CM's wielding their status as a sort of validation for the nonsense they spew on Disneyland fan sites. Nothing makes me roll my eyes more than "Well, I used to work that and this obscure piece of history is actually completely false, the official Disney line is ....". Cast members aren't insiders, and they aren't historians.

It's soooooo bad. I remember on my Discovery Day (epcot orientation) our trainer told us that Spaceship Earth was self-cleaning. I wondered if he had ever looked at it.

mharrington

Work has been continuing as of today.

For how much longer, though?

It should be noted that unlike the Avengers E-ticket ride, the Mickey ride is, as far as I know, a clone, with only the entrance and queue being different. As such, I think it should not be put on hold because it's not a new and different ride, it's a clone and as such, it should be less costly to do than something brand new (which I believe the Avengers ride is).

lazyboy97o

For how much longer, though?

It should be noted that unlike the Avengers E-ticket ride, the Mickey ride is, as far as I know, a clone, with only the entrance and queue being different. As such, I think it should not be put on hold because it's not a new and different ride, it's a clone and as such, it should be less costly to do than something brand new (which I believe the Avengers ride is).
Being a clone only describes the guest experience. You still have an entirely new facility being built. Even if both versions were in a new building, the Florida building would not be allowed in California and vice versa.

mharrington

Being a clone only describes the guest experience. You still have an entirely new facility being built. Even if both versions were in a new building, the Florida building would not be allowed in California and vice versa.

But even so, it shouldn't be that hard to install the equipment and all that into the facility after it's been built, should it?

MadTeacup

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually believe this is not true. It's my understanding that Disney uses California Building Codes worldwide, meaning that every new, from-scratch attraction built in Florida and California could be cloned EXACTLY on the other coast. It's crazy to think that Tron is currently being built to withstand large-scale earthquakes.

RobWDW1971

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually believe this is not true. It's my understanding that Disney uses California Building Codes worldwide, meaning that every new, from-scratch attraction built in Florida and California could be cloned EXACTLY on the other coast. It's crazy to think that Tron is currently being built to withstand large-scale earthquakes.
It needs to withstand large-scale swamp sinkholes.

mandelbrot

Personally, I just want all of the ride duplications to stop and go back to giving each resort their own unique attractions instead and add some more that are not based on IPs.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

lazyboy97o

It is not true. The California Building Standards Code and the Florida Building Code are both based on the International Building Code so they have a lot of similarities. While we tend to think of California as having more and stricter regulations than Florida where the two codes differ from the model code are in different areas and therefore a building designed for California would fail to meet Florida’s requirements. Walt Disney World then has the added layer of the EPCOT Building Code which aligns with or is more restrictive than the Florida Building Code. The big differences between the California and Florida codes are related to earthquakes and hurricanes, issues that are actually rather site specific. If the TRON building were being built to handle earthquakes it still could not be copied to Disneyland because the geology of the Magic Kingdom is different and that plays a major roll in how a structure is designed to handle an earthquake. There was the story over the summer about Smuggler’s Run in Florida not having the right size storm drains because it was designed for California, but the size of gutters is one of those differences between the codes that would not pass in Florida.

Disney would also have to exclusively hire architects and engineers licensed is California and Florida, and then rehire them for clones that occurred at a later time for reusing drawings to work.

socalifornian

OC Register article from yesterday

>>“This attraction actually has a B story,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Kevin Rafferty said. “First one ever that has a B story in addition to the A story. It’s very clear and it’s very fun.”

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway trackless dark ride debuts March 4 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland in 2022.<<

PiratesMansion

>>“This attraction actually has a B story,” Walt Disney Imagineering’s Kevin Rafferty said. “First one ever that has a B story in addition to the A story. It’s very clear and it’s very fun.”

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway trackless dark ride debuts March 4 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and in Mickey’s Toontown at Disneyland in 2022.<<
"The thing was, I found out—and Walt agreed—that this was not a story-telling medium."

My point of view on all of these attractions is that they are a series of experiences. You aren’t telling a story in the Haunted Mansion any more than you are trying to tell a story in Pirates of the Caribbean. You’re showing some pirates in a lot of interesting situations, but you don’t really have a beginning or an ending. They’re a series of situations, not a story."

Both quotes by Marc Davis.

So I'm sure this B-story stuff will be SUPER effective.

mharrington

So does that mean that the Mickey ride in Disneyland will not be delayed after all?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom