News ‘The Muppets Present… Great Moments in History’ Returns for a Limited Run in February

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
At Mel’s Diner in Pigeon Forge TN... fun little find!!
image.jpg

I really will never understand why this show is seasonal. Of all streetmosphere shows to make seasonal.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
It was great seeing this today. There were 10 showtimes on the sign. They only did the Paul Revere show today, and not the second show. It’s so good, I wish it would come back for good.

I wonder what happens with the puppeteers who perform this show. Were they fired and brought back for this weekend, or reassigned somewhere else? There don’t seem to be so many puppeteer jobs at WDW and this show requires a lot of practice and rehearsal, I would think.

7F5444F6-68A5-485B-996C-71E5F49E859C.jpeg

C174A0D2-60F7-4F1D-AAB9-12A170FE559D.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

I wonder what happens with the puppeteers who perform this show. Were they fired and brought back for this weekend, or reassigned somewhere else?

I’m pretty sure they all work elsewhere. Entertainment cast members typically work multiple shows around the parks. The non-Paul revere show used an equity actor that may have to have legit rehearsals before performing again due to equity rules.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I’m pretty sure they all work elsewhere. Entertainment cast members typically work multiple shows around the parks. The non-Paul revere show used an equity actor that may have to have legit rehearsals before performing again due to equity rules.

Yeah, there was no town crier today, as with the other show. A Cast Member just threw down the rope for us to stand behind and left.

mm52200

Puppeteers fall under the Character department and have the ability to be trained multiple shows, parades, different trained roles and do meet and greets and dining so they are being scheduled elsewhere. As long as their Muppet skill keeps being refreshed and those performers stay with the company they can keep bringing it back seasonally. The towncrier was on an Equity contract for that role only, and once that contract was canceled it’s not feasible to bring him back, also like others have pointed out it’s cheaper to operate without him.

Sweet Thing

Agreed. As sad as it is to see the Town Crier cut, I‘d rather have some daily version of the show that’s cheaper because of no Equity actor than have no show at all.
They should rewrite the show and have a Muppet like Sweetums from Muppet Vision 3D take over the town crier role. That would be a really cute on brand interaction in the show. And they should definitely have more GMIH stories.

erstwo

My daughter and I were so exited to come across this show this weekend. I love the Muppets. I had no idea this was only reopened this weekend.

We really enjoyed it. Too bad it's not year round.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Puppeteers fall under the Character department and have the ability to be trained multiple shows, parades, different trained roles and do meet and greets and dining so they are being scheduled elsewhere. As long as their Muppet skill keeps being refreshed and those performers stay with the company they can keep bringing it back seasonally. The towncrier was on an Equity contract for that role only, and once that contract was canceled it’s not feasible to bring him back, also like others have pointed out it’s cheaper to operate without him.

I still say it'd be better if the puppets were filmed footage and they interacted with a live towncrier. (If we're talking budget friendly performance) Would it look hokey? perhaps. But It'd work just the same. Of course we'd lose the puppeteers which I suppose would be an insult to Muppet purists.

TrainsOfDisney

I still say it'd be better if the puppets were filmed footage and they interacted with a live towncrier. (If we're talking budget friendly performance) Would it look hokey? perhaps. But It'd work just the same. Of course we'd lose the puppeteers which I suppose would be an insult to Muppet purists.

At that point it’s not a live show though. You could replace the characters in the parade with video screens on the floats and save a lot of money too.

Disneyson

Yikes, I would say no no no. Screens look terrible in sunlight, not to mention you’re losing the performance and instead watching a YouTube video in the sun with a live heckler, essentially. That’s ignoring the essential point of the show, which is seeing the Muppets live.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
At that point it’s not a live show though. You could replace the characters in the parade with video screens on the floats and save a lot of money too.

I guess my point is; would it make a difference. What's live*? A puppeteer doing the same script and motions day in and out? I get it though. I would be slightly miffed but as a last case scenario I could see it working. But yes, I would be disappointed.

TrainsOfDisney

I guess my point is; would it make a difference. What's live*? A puppeteer doing the same script and motions day in and out? I get it though. I would be slightly miffed but as a last case scenario I could see it working. But yes, I would be disappointed.

I think you’re underestimating the quality of the pupetteers. What they are doing is not easy and if you watch from show to show you will see lots of differences that make the show unique and special.

Why not just film the dapper dans and let them sing in the windows on Main Street? They just sing the same songs everyday right?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think you’re underestimating the quality of the pupetteers. What they are doing is not easy and if you watch from show to show you will see lots of differences that make the show unique and special.

Why not just film the dapper dans and let them sing in the windows on Main Street? They just sing the same songs everyday right?

Because that's not the same. And watching from show to show is something the typical WDW visitor is definitely not interested in doing. For all intents and purposes the show plays as normal. The minutia of advanced puppeteering details are hardly a dealbreaker, IMO. It would be different sure and a downgrade but it's not like it's unheard of. Pretty sure SeaWorld does something comparable. This would be an upgrade to that because it features a live performer for interaction. The feel would be the same. And theoretically the show would be similar. At least, to the typical layperson which is what we're talking about. Again, I don't condone the idea but think it could work. And work well; if they're in such a budget conscience mindset. Dapper Dan digital decor would be something else entirely, IMO.

If a nixing a live puppeteer is the "Absolutely no way no how dealbreaker" - I certainly understand that POV.

TrainsOfDisney

If a nixing a live puppeteer is the "Absolutely no way no how dealbreaker" - I certainly understand that POV.

Well for 1 it’s not a dealbreaker. But your argument could be applied to every live show. Why pay the costume characters in the beauty and the beast stage show, you could replace them with video right?

You’re also spinning what I said. I was saying the puppeteers are very much performing a live show. I wasn’t saying the average guest would watch it multiple times.

The 2nd argument is the equity performer is more complicated than the puppetters, which is why he hasn’t returned. It would actually be a better argument to replace the equity performer with a video screen the puppets could interact with.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom