News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

TrainsOfDisney

That is a considerable distance further out. Same with Epcot.

I sometimes wonder why they didn’t add security to the entrance... like make it one process. Bag check, metal detector, scan your ticket, and in you go. (Kinda like international gateway... but a bigger scale of course).

TrainsOfDisney

- with more people grouped into one place?

It also distributes risk. One attack wouldn't take out all the infrastructure. God forbid of course.

When they did it this way at Epcot (2005 ish era?) it seemed like people were more spread out than they are now. But the parks were not as crowded during that time and of course the process was a bit quicker before the metal detectors.

Of course it’s a huge win that the monorail is now fully enclosed within security, so some positives with pushing it back too.

mm121

That is a considerable distance further out. Same with Epcot.

I sometimes wonder why they didn’t add security to the entrance... like make it one process. Bag check, metal detector, scan your ticket, and in you go. (Kinda like international gateway... but a bigger scale of course).
Separating security and tickets is a good thing

It enables them to go ahead and screen people so they are then in the secure zone

So then if they want to they can start screening before the actual park opening time.

Plus I think they want some time for guests to transition mentally from what can be a negative experience the security screening into what they want to be a positive experience park entry.

These two tasks are also handled by two different departments. Security is managed separate from park entry from a staffing perspective and presumably a pay perspective

TrainsOfDisney

These two tasks are also handled by two different departments. Security is managed separate from park entry from a staffing perspective and presumably a pay perspective

I wasn’t suggesting 2 departments handle it all. Would be more like Epcot international gateway. Or the way Epcot was in like the 2005 era.

Like I said, I’m sure they consulted with security experts that know more than I do about it. I just know it seems way more relaxed and chill at the international gateway. (The process does, obviously it’s also more chill because it’s less crowded too).

peter11435

That structure is so ugly

Doesn't match with the existing front gate at all.

Anyone have aerials of what this area looked like before this began?

Did they just have temporary tents for bag check?
It’s not finished.

Structurally it’s very similar to the existing entrance and security.

The existing bag check structures and tents are visible in the first photo.

Monorail_Red_77

Separating security and tickets is a good thing

It enables them to go ahead and screen people so they are then in the secure zone

So then if they want to they can start screening before the actual park opening time.

Plus I think they want some time for guests to transition mentally from what can be a negative experience the security screening into what they want to be a positive experience park entry.

I think another big thing is that not everyone who goes through security has tickets yet. In between security check and the tap points you have ticket windows. Unless they moved security to behind the ticket windows, but I’m sure they would rather everyone in the general area to be within the security bubble, ticket or not.

Monorail_Red_77

I wasn’t suggesting 2 departments handle it all. Would be more like Epcot international gateway. Or the way Epcot was in like the 2005 era.

Like I said, I’m sure they consulted with security experts that know more than I do about it. I just know it seems way more relaxed and chill at the international gateway. (The process does, obviously it’s also more chill because it’s less crowded too).
International gateway is the same way as this, just smaller area. You still go through security and then walk a ways and go through the tap points, after the recent refurb work there.

JayKZ

It just feels more like one process there. I like it.
Keep in mind that very few people who arrive at the IG need to purchase tickets. The vast majority are resort guests with MagicBands, or people park hopping from DHS. The only significant exception is Swolphin guests who don't necessarily arrive with pre-purchased park tickets. OTOH, the main entrance has to accommodate day guests and all those staying offsite. Different animal altogether.

DrewmanS

- with more people grouped into one place?

It also distributes risk. One attack wouldn't take out all the infrastructure. God forbid of course.

Security is more about deterrent than prevention. Having multiple layers creates more opportunity to be "caught". Bag screen, metal detector, entrance gate. Spacing out those barriers also makes it more difficult for someone to try and bolt past security. The more security/cast members you have to interact with also increases the likelihood of someone noticing odd behavior. If well trained, your responses to the polite/friendly questions asked by security, tells them more than the quick look in your bag. Spacing out groups of people and making it a hassle to get in, is actually the best deterrent.

TrainsOfDisney

Security is more about deterrent than prevention. Having multiple layers creates more opportunity to be "caught". Bag screen, metal detector, entrance gate. Spacing out those barriers also makes it more difficult for someone to try and bolt past security. The more security/cast members you have to interact with also increases the likelihood of someone noticing odd behavior. If well trained, your responses to the polite/friendly questions asked by security, tells them more than the quick look in your bag. Spacing out groups of people and making it a hassle to get in, is actually the best deterrent.

Ah now THAT makes sense. As soon as you come from the parking lot you encounter security as a deterrent... yeah I get that.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, February 13, 2020. A ground level view of the security / bag check structure under construction in front of the Animal Kingdom entrance. When completed, the structure will be very much like the existing architecture at the park entrance. The concrete in the foreground is a pale green, as the existing pavement at the entrance. The roof is not completed yet; you are looking at the waterproof barrier.

IMG_2814.JPG

Kman101

Nice to see an overview. This project isn't getting a lot of coverage in the blogger world. Likely because they get more clicks on WallCot or the other parks. Anywho, I remain glad they are improving the entrances at all the parks, it's been a long time coming. They were messy and didn't work anymore. I have a few minor nitpicks (shade structures) but overall all of these changes seem like a plus (Epcot and DHS needed it badly and they're much better and it's easier guest flow, IMO).

toolsnspools

I think another big thing is that not everyone who goes through security has tickets yet. In between security check and the tap points you have ticket windows. Unless they moved security to behind the ticket windows, but I’m sure they would rather everyone in the general area to be within the security bubble, ticket or not.
And if you have someone "trapped behind security", they're less likely to see the ticket prices and run away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom