Ticket price increase / FP+ changes coming?

FullSailDan

The saddest part to me is that, while we WDW "experts" used to enjoy the perks of being a regular like navigating FP/FP+ to help our planning and add a few bonuses, it was still possible for newbies and fans alike to drop in on WDW (even just the Magic Kingdom -- "Disney World" to many tourists) and enjoy a day without planning -- and thus open to it all as a pleasant surprise. But now that is less and less possible.
This is the biggest problem. Disney knows they have to figure this out too. There's a lot of research that shows current 40 and under don't like having to plan months in advance for things. They very much prefer spontaneous get up and go experiences. It's hilarious that the initiative to make Disney "easier" has resulted in Disney now being infinitely more tricky to navigate. There are so many things to keep track of in the lead up to vacation now. As someone who doesn't mind dropping 10-15K for 2 people on a weeks vacation, I just have a really hard time wrapping my mind around some of the limitations of Disney's offerings for the price. I'd rather go to a real 4 or 5 star hotel, do local experiences, and maybe take a day trip to a theme park.

doctornick

If there were a mechanism to limit attendance to the number of guests in each park to the level that existed during paper fastpasses then you might have a chance. But all things are not equal.

Also important is in the time of paper FP, many guests did not utilize them - either not realizing they were eligible to use the or just not even knowing they existed. Part of why those "in the know" got great results with paper FP is because many guests never used them in the first place, so their value was concentrated in a smaller pool of guests who benefited greatly. I can recall many times going into the FP line and having others in standby complain about how they didn't "pay for" FP and couldn't use it. Or guests who just didn't understand how to use the FP machines or what it meant to have a return time.

When FP+ rolled out, Disney went hard core into advertising them and making it so people who booked vacations where informed to use them. This increased utilization significantly (which is why they added FP+ to many more attractions, stuff that didn't need them) but spread out the benefit of the system among most guests to an extent that few people get huge benefits out of it like in the olden days.

lazyboy97o

Also important is in the time of paper FP, many guests did not utilize them - either not realizing they were eligible to use the or just not even knowing they existed. Part of why those "in the know" got great results with paper FP is because many guests never used them in the first place, so their value was concentrated in a smaller pool of guests who benefited greatly. I can recall many times going into the FP line and having others in standby complain about how they didn't "pay for" FP and couldn't use it. Or guests who just didn't understand how to use the FP machines or what it meant to have a return time.

When FP+ rolled out, Disney went hard core into advertising them and making it so people who booked vacations where informed to use them. This increased utilization significantly (which is why they added FP+ to many more attractions, stuff that didn't need them) but spread out the benefit of the system among most guests to an extent that few people get huge benefits out of it like in the olden days.
People not knowing about FastPass+ is still a problem. New queues are physically separated near merge in part due to increases in physical altercations.

ImperfectPixie

People not knowing about FastPass+ is still a problem. New queues are physically separated near merge in part due to increases in physical altercations.
Kind of should be expected by Disney seeing as they force people to wait in sometimes hours-long stand-by lines while the fastpass line is kept virtually empty.

CAV

I do not understand all the angst over FP+. Yes, it sucks a little that I have to make reservations 3 months ahead of time for something as silly as a ride - but the rest of FP+ is awesome. I'm the member of my party that is the designated "FastPass Getter." I'm glad that I don't have to run all over the park anymore getting FPs for everyone else. Also, the magic bands are really cool, especially considering all of their other functions.

...and the folks saying that you can't get on the ride are just wrong. The traditional line is there, ready when you are.
What sucks about it is that unless you are planning a vacation 60+ days out, there are attractions, with near certainty, you can not get a fastpass for. As a Florida resident with an AP, the FP+ system is useless to my family. Spur of the moment trips are typified by watching OTHERS enjoying popular attractions.

Jon81uk

All Star has shuttles to the park and possible extra hours maybe some days at a park or another.
The Extra Magic Hours schedule is fairly set in stone. The only thing that is in flux is Hollywood studios due to the changing opening hours in the morning. Otherwise the schedule is quite regular and one park has extra hours every day. Every Sunday has evening hours at DHS, every Wednesday has evening hours at MK etc. The hours happen every day, not some days.

Universal is only more predictable because they have fewer parks and only offer morning extra hours, not evening.
I'm not a morning person so I like the fact that Disney offer a mix of morning and evening extra hours.

However I do agree with your original post in general that the Universal resorts offer better value (particularly now both resorts charge for parking), but as you pointed out, there are still some perks like the airport transfers that Universal doesn't offer.

DisneyCane

What sucks about it is that unless you are planning a vacation 60+ days out, there are attractions, with near certainty, you can not get a fastpass for. As a Florida resident with an AP, the FP+ system is useless to my family. Spur of the moment trips are typified by watching OTHERS enjoying popular attractions.

I REALLY wish they would reserve some percentage of FP capacity for passholders that are only available same day and geofenced that you can only get them if you are somewhere on WDW property. It should be relatively simple to implement from a software standpoint and would seriously add value to the pass. I'm not suggesting holding enough so that every passholder can easily get a FP for whatever they want but at least to have a chance for FP on popular attractions and easily get them for 2nd tier attractions.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Also important is in the time of paper FP, many guests did not utilize them - either not realizing they were eligible to use the or just not even knowing they existed.

I honestly never used them because we didn't have to. if you got to the parks early enough you to fly through the main attractions without a fp. now you can't... not sure if that's due to more crowds or more fp use making the lines longer

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I honestly never used them because we didn't have to. if you got to the parks early enough you to fly through the main attractions without a fp. now you can't... not sure if that's due to more crowds or more fp use making the lines longer
Indeed. I recall mornings where the FP machines at many rides remained covered until close to 11 am.

Disstevefan1

Got in the mail from Holland America Cruise Line a 78 day African cruise leave Ft Lauderdale go completely around Africa into the Med and back to Ft Lauderdale 2 people 40K that comes out to $512/day --state room with balcony. If you have ever been on a cruise the food far exceeds anything at WDW and it's included, service is unbelievable. Wife and I are seriously considering this and finished with Disney and their ever increasing prices and diminished service. Yes Disney has an obligation to their stock holders but their business is based on guest satisfaction which IMO has taken a back seat to stockholders.

You have 40K to spend on a vacation! All I can say is WELL DONE! God Bless you and God Bless America!

Purduevian

I see a lot of people complaining that FP is useless to them because they don't stay on property... Within the last 6 months on 2 separate trips I was able to:

1) Get SDD less than 30 days out
2)Move said Slinky dog dash to an earlier time
3)Move said Slinky dog dash again earlier
4)Get FOP less than 30 days out
5)Move FOP to an earlier time less than 30 days out
6)Get a day of FOP fastpass
7)move said FOP fastpass earlier day of
8) Get day of fastpasses for ToT, RnRC, Star Tours, TSMM, F! in one day after my initial 3(in one day)
9) Get day of fastpasses for Frozen, TT, and Soarin (x2) after my initial 3(in one day)
10) Get day of fastpasses for NRJ(x2), and Everest(x2) after my initial 3(in one day, before leaving around 4)
11)Get day of fastpasses for Pooh (x2), Mermaid, Pan, HM, Pirates, Space, Splash, Buzz (x2), Dumbo, Meet Mickey, Meet Tink, Meet princess, Meet Ariel, all day of after my initial 3. (in one day)

Anyone that says FP is useless to them has given up on the system. Is there an advantage to being an on site guest? ABSOLUTELY, however just because you are limited to a 30 day window or even if it was Day Of, does not mean the system is useless to you.

John park hopper

You have 40K to spend on a vacation! All I can say is WELL DONE! God Bless you and God Bless America!
The wife and I live very cheaply, both retired, house paid off, I fix all that breaks, do all the house and car maintenance and grow a garden. We live of my retirement and the wife's retirement is for vacations and whatever. So yes God Bless America.

BigThunderMatt

Anyone that says FP is useless to them has given up on the system. Is there an advantage to being an on site guest? ABSOLUTELY, however just because you are limited to a 30 day window or even if it was Day Of, does not mean the system is useless to you.

I also don't understand all this garbage people are spouting about people expecting a great time on a spontaneous Disney trip. Disney has never been and will never be a destination that you could just spontaneously visit for a day or two and have a great time (APs aside). Even before MyMagic+, there was a significant amount of pre-planning involved. The people that are complaining about how much they have to pre-plan now are the same people that wouldn't have pre-planned before. It's just that now Disney is up front about the whole "you have to pre-plan" aspect. If you don't like planning things in advance, why are you even going to WDW? It's not like this is some brand new concept that didn't exist 10 years ago.

ImperfectPixie

I also don't understand all this garbage people are spouting about people expecting a great time on a spontaneous Disney trip. Disney has never been and will never be a destination that you could just spontaneously visit for a day or two and have a great time (APs aside). Even before MyMagic+, there was a significant amount of pre-planning involved. The people that are complaining about how much they have to pre-plan now are the same people that wouldn't have pre-planned before. It's just that now Disney is up front about the whole "you have to pre-plan" aspect. If you don't like planning things in advance, why are you even going to WDW? It's not like this is some brand new concept that didn't exist 10 years ago.
My husband and I honeymooned for 11 days at WDW in 2000. Yes, I made some reservations for a couple of dinners, but aside from that, it was a completely spontaneous trip. We did everything we wanted to on the fly and at whatever pace we wanted. It was the most relaxing, enjoyable trip we've ever had.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You are so very wrong. From around 2003-2014 I went to WDW around 20 times. Never planned anything more then, "probably will be at MK this day". Now, I have my days planned down to the minute to insure I get my monies worth. I also now go once every 2 or 3 years instead of 2x per year.

Hank Hill

Even if you told people they didn't "get it" or try to learn about it.

I was at BTMR in the standby line and a kid asked his dad why they couldn't be in the other line, dad said it was because they didn't pay. I heard so I explained that it was free and how to do it. He was really confused. I offered to take him over the the machine after the ride and show him, but he didn't want to. IDK if he ended up using them at all, I am guessing not.

Another time we had some soarin passes we were not going to use, my wife gave them to a couple women walking into the land, and explained they didn't check return times, even if it was hours past the time and they could still be used. They looked at us like we were scamming them, my wife said "have a magical day" and we walked away and I turned back and the woman put them in her pocket, I wonder if she even bothered to try. Probably not.

I am actually surprised how people have adapted to FP+.Sure there are issues, but most people do well with it. But I am guessing it is usually one member of the family doing most of the work and the rest just follow along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom