I Should Have Known Better, or, My Meal at Tokyo Dining

Benjamin_Nicholas

Original Poster
I've said it before -Disney knows exactly what they're doing. Evidently their market research is spot on, because they've long figured out that the majority of their current clientele is culinary challenged. Imagine being able to serve average to above average food at a signature location and charge, in my experience, $100+ per plate. Brilliant, really. And the post-purchase reviews keep rolling in: "The steak at Yachtsman was the best I've ever had!" -even though the local Longhorn charges a fraction of the price for equal quality.

You're exactly right.

It's also why I'm glad that Markham's, Bolton's, Capa and Ravello exist in the Disney bubble.

danyoung56

He was agreeing with me that you like bad food.

Doesn't make a dime's worth of difference to me what the masses think. I've enjoyed every plate of Spicy Kazan Roll that I've ever had. There may be some place else in the world that makes it better. But till I am able to make that comparison for myself, I'll put my opinion right up there with anyone else's.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Original Poster
Good grief. Can't people just have different tastes in food without being "culinarily challenged" or liking "bad food"? Must everything discussed here be treated as though it is an epic battle between good and evil?

Foodies are opinionated... And that's fine. Same with winos, frequent fliers and hotel aficionados.

It's fine to have high standards, However it's not fine to make people feel like crap for having a different opinion.

NiarrNDisney

Sorry to hear that! I have found the Sushi at these places to be very good:

Kimonos (Swan) full menu
Splitsville (DS-WS) rolls only
Zeta (Hilton Bonnet Creek) rolls only

Hopefully in the future (should you try them) you will have as great of an experience as I did.

Last edited:

bennyw01

Shame on your for thinking that going to Japan for the sushi is the best place to get it ;)

I co-sign Kona Cafe, Morimoto and if you fancy going further afield Dragonfly Robata (its worth the trip).

Hockey89

Good grief. Can't people just have different tastes in food without being "culinarily challenged" or liking "bad food"? Must everything discussed here be treated as though it is an epic battle between good and evil?
Olive Garden sucks... If someone likes it that is fine, but it still sucks..

OneofThree

Olive Garden sucks... If someone likes it that is fine, but it still sucks..

It's not so subjective as some people like to think. Whether it's cuisine or any number of other disciplines, people have spent sometimes hundreds (or thousands) of years developing and improving their crafts. The argument I see around this board often equates to "well I/some people like it so. . .", and meanwhile, it doesn't take 3 Michelin stars for an experienced palate to recognize a stale menu concept, lack of technique, or poor execution. Sure -everything is relative. I'm genuinely happy for people if they enjoy eating Olive Garden level food. Why the hell not? At the same time, if you tell me it's "great Italian" food, you immediately qualify your own opinion. Another example -people suggesting that the lobster at such and such a Disney restaurant is, and I love this one the most maybe, "Amazing!". All this tells me is that someone has never had the real deal, and doesn't know any better.

Last edited:

Hockey89

It's not so subjective as some people like to think. Whether it's cuisine or any number of other disciplines, people have spent sometimes hundreds (or thousands) of years developing and improving their crafts. The argument I see around this board often equates to "well I/some people like it so. . .", and meanwhile, it doesn't take 3 Michelin stars for an experienced palate to recognize a stale menu concept, lack of technique, or poor execution. Sure -everything is relative. I'm genuinely happy for people if they enjoy eating Olive Garden level food. Why the hell not? At the same time, if you tell me it's "great Italian" food, you immediately qualify your own opinion. Another example -people suggesting that the lobster at such and such a Disney restaurant is, and I love this one the most maybe, "Amazing!". All this tells me is that someone has never had the real deal, and doesn't know any better.
After having Lobster at TFL, Le Bernardin, and Per SE, there is no going back..... I was shocked...

westie

Just curious... Have you been to his flag ship place in Philly or locations in Napa or Vegas? If not, you should.... They are night and day better than his location in Orlando...

I live very close to Napa and the wife and I are taking our daughter to Vegas in a couple weeks, so thanks, I will try the other locations.

Hockey89

I stand by my assertion that anything named "Spicy" at a sushi place can be translated to "off tasting old fish that we mix with spicy stuff so we can sell it to unsuspecting people who like to slather 'wasabi' on it and then dunk it in soy sauce"
This is 1000000% correct.... So funny.... Fake wasabi too....

Phonedave

I like 'crap' food at times. In fact I do like a spicy tuna roll, but I know enough not to judge the quality of the place based on that item. Spicy tuna can be made with just about any garbage fish and it will taste the same because the spice masks any flavor nuances. Even more so for a Spicy Kazan Roll made with spice and drenched in sauce. The quality of the fish and rice does not matter because you really cannot taste it.

Along with the reviews of "Amazing!" I love the reviews where people say "All of the food was fresh and hot". That is entry level for running a restaurant. 'Fresh and hot' is hardly a glowing review.

UNCgolf

"The steak at Yachtsman was the best I've ever had!" -even though the local Longhorn charges a fraction of the price for equal quality.

I haven't been to the Yachtsman, but is the steak really the same quality as a Longhorn? The filet at Flying Fish is vastly superior to a Longhorn or Outback steak and it seems strange they'd get lower quality meat than another restaurant across the boardwalk for what is supposed to be a signature steakhouse. Maybe it's just prepared poorly there.

Also, Longhorn and Outback steaks really aren't bad for the price. Certainly wouldn't rate them as A steaks, but there are much worse steaks out there. I think, price factored in, the worst steak I've ever had is at Ruth's Chris (twice!). The best is a harder pick, but likely it'd be at either the Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC, Bones in Atlanta, GA, or Bistro 90 in Longs, SC (essentially Myrtle Beach -- I was as surprised as anyone, but they have A+ quality meat there and they will freshly cut you whatever you'd like). Flying Fish's steak isn't quite at that level, but quite good.

Hockey89

I haven't been to the Yachtsman, but is the steak really the same quality as a Longhorn? The filet at Flying Fish is vastly superior to a Longhorn or Outback steak and it seems strange they'd get lower quality meat than another restaurant across the boardwalk for what is supposed to be a signature steakhouse. Maybe it's just prepared poorly there.

Also, Longhorn and Outback steaks really aren't bad for the price. Certainly wouldn't rate them as A steaks, but there are much worse steaks out there. I think, price factored in, the worst steak I've ever had is at Ruth's Chris (twice!). The best is a harder pick, but likely it'd be at either the Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC, Bones in Atlanta, GA, or Bistro 90 in Longs, SC (essentially Myrtle Beach -- I was as surprised as anyone, but they have A+ quality meat there and they will freshly cut you whatever you'd like). Flying Fish's steak isn't quite at that level, but quite good.
The last three times at the YM it could have been the longhorn. Steak quality is terrible. I never order filet bc of the lack of flavor so I can’t compare that. I'll never go back...

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The last three times at the YM it could have been the longhorn. Steak quality is terrible. I never order filet bc of the lack of flavor so I can’t compare that. I'll never go back...

I wasn't planning to ever go, considering Flying Fish has an excellent steak in addition to great seafood, but good to know!

JIMINYCR

One of DS's wishes on our upcoming trip was to have sushi. One of his coworkers recently returned and raved about both Kona and Trader Sams sushi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom