Walt Disney World annual pass price increases now in effect (February 2020)

durangojim

One thing I don't understand is why do they only allow in state residents to purchase all the different types of passes? I'd probably buy a Gold still if I could but since we live in Michigan the platinum is our only option.

drizgirl

One thing I don't understand is why do they only allow in state residents to purchase all the different types of passes? I'd probably buy a Gold still if I could but since we live in Michigan the platinum is our only option.
They're willing to offer a better deal to the locals (or those within a reasonable driving distance) so they have a large group they can mobilize any time attendance dares to dip a little. They do that through room discounts, special events and dropping blockout days when necessary. Remember a few years back when they dropped AP blocks right around Easter? Attendance projections must not have been high enough. So they drop the blocks and voila. Instant crowds.

Out of staters are coming when they plan for but are far less likely to drop in on short notice when Disney needs them.

Piebald

I dont get how so many people can afford the US parks to be honest. Seeing families of 8 at GF, seeing families with 4 preteens eating at California Grill, seeing how packed the parks are. At this point its cheaper to fly to Asia and visit one of the resorts for a few days than spend time at WDW.

MrPromey

I dont get how so many people can afford the US parks to be honest. Seeing families of 8 at GF, seeing families with 4 preteens eating at California Grill, seeing how packed the parks are. At this point its cheaper to fly to Asia and visit one of the resorts for a few days than spend time at WDW.

My guess would be some are saving for many years and most are using credit cards for their big once-in-a-lifetime trips.

I have to wonder after it's all said and done, how many of them consider the total experience worth it.

After all, the parks are fun but California Grill isn't that good and neither is the Grand Floridian if you've stayed in any moderately nice hotel before and yeah, you're paying for access but when the express monorail line isn't running and the resort line is full or standing room only as a result, how luxurious does that feel?

I often wonder how many people get home and regret their spending choices after the trip.

It doesn't seem like Disney is that concerned about repeat guests since these once-in-a-lifetime folks are likely to spend far more. I don't like thinking about it that way though because it seems very seedy like a "it's more profitable to fleeces the rubes" business model but...

A year or so ago I was in line in Test Track and there was a man with a son roughly my son's age. The two boys started talking and then the dad and I did.

He owned a car dealership in, I think, Ohio.

This was their "once in a lifetime trip".

He made a joke about how he was surprised the metal detectors were on the way in instead of on the way out because he was sure they were using them to look for any lose change they hadn't managed to get out of people.

The son was having fun, the man was smiling - clearly happy his son was happy - and I assume his daughter and wife who were somewhere else (he mentioned Disney Springs or GF or somewhere but not Epcot) were having fun, too but his joke made it obvious he was fully aware that Disney was gouging him. It was more of a "what can you do?" attitude but I have to wonder how long the good will with the general public will last.

My question isn't about breaking points for what people can spend but at what point they cross the line where people who can still afford it no longer consider it worth the asking price in large enough numbers for it to matter to Disney.

It's like the variable pricing - Disney charges the most for the bussiest days which also happen to be the days you're likely to have the worst possible experience.

Unlike the airline or hotel industry where they do this and everybody still more-or-less gets the same seat/room/experience minus some hassle during the busier times, when Disney charges more for you to be there on New Years, you are far more likely to have a miserable day because everything has insane waits and there is barely room to move around in some of the parks.

Unlike in these other businesses where there may be some secondary issues during busy times the actual core product save for a special fireworks show is actually lower in quality than most other days and yet they are charging a premium...

Imagine being in a fully booked hotel during busy season paying the highest possible price and not having hot water in your shower because too many people want to take showers at the same time or maybe the AC or heat in your room doesn't get very warm or cool because of "demand".

Imagine a flight that takes longer or only takes you 3/4 of the way and requires you to take a bus the rest of the way because the plane was too heavy to fly the whole distance due to being full while charging you more for the "privilege" (plus an upcharge if you want your seat at the front of the bus during that remaining drive).

To me, that's the kind of thing Disney's pricing does which is why it amazes me that so many people seem okay with it.

... but if you only go once-in-a-lifetime, maybe it's hard to see this? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Josh Hendy

My guess would be some are saving for many years and most are using credit cards for their big once-in-a-lifetime trips.

Just saw a headline at a financial news website saying that last December there was a huge uptick in credit card debt.

Good for Disney, good for the people who get the trip of a lifetime

... but when the bubble inevitably bursts there reckoning will not be fun.

Piebald

Just saw a headline at a financial news website saying that last December there was a huge uptick in credit card debt.

Yes I assume most people are highly in debt. I love Disney (I've been a member of this forum longer than some members have been alive) but I grew up in Florida so for my family the experience wasnt quite as expensive. We would do weekend trips and stay offsite and once in a while do an All Star resort or something. Now that I'm older I have an AP and will occasionally dine at a finer location such as Jiko or Yachtsmans but we are also a (edit- lol apparently the acronym for dual income no kids triggers the censor) and earning quite well for the area.

In general it just shocks me when I see what families are dropping on trips there. We travel the world and those experiences are so much less expensive than Disney. Its mind boggling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It appears that for DVC the Platinum and Platinum Plus did not go up?
I had a thought on that...

I think there’s a strong case to be made the reason they did not raise that was strategic to “increase” the “discount” on passes to DVC and Florida...

All of a sudden, overnight...you went from “saving” $100 to almost $200!

Big incentive when selling a timeshare that is very much overpriced, eh?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They are being told to spend when the economics say that the cost of goods/increases are outpacing any income gains below the upper crust of the income distribution charts.

“Things are great...they’ve never been better...and they’re never gonna fall.”

We’ve heard this before...and the real estate bubble scared enough people to use caution for longer than normal...but that’s over now.

seascape

I had a thought on that...

I think there’s a strong case to be made the reason they did not raise that was strategic to “increase” the “discount” on passes to DVC and Florida...

All of a sudden, overnight...you went from “saving” $100 to almost $200!

Big incentive when selling a timeshare that is very much overpriced, eh?
I love my DVC but. if I were to buy today, I would buy Wyndham Bonnet Creek on EBAY. Itbis a much better buy than DVC. I own both. Wyndham has bigger rooms that cost less in maintenance fees but doesn't have vcd Disney Transportation. However as an annual passholder I get free parking at the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love my DVC but. if I were to buy today, I would buy Wyndham Bonnet Creek on EBAY. Itbis a much better buy than DVC. I own both. Wyndham has bigger rooms that cost less in maintenance fees but doesn't have vcd Disney Transportation. However as an annual passholder I get free parking at the parks.
My DVC was a great purchase...

But I would not purchase DVC now for a variety of reasons...price outpacing value is just one of the reasons

RobWDW1971

I have to wonder after it's all said and done, how many of them consider the total experience worth it.

After all, the parks are fun but California Grill isn't that good and neither is the Grand Floridian if you've stayed in any moderately nice hotel before and yeah, you're paying for access but when the express monorail line isn't running and the resort line is full or standing room only as a result, how luxurious does that feel?

I often wonder how many people get home and regret their spending choices after the trip.

It doesn't seem like Disney is that concerned about repeat guests since these once-in-a-lifetime folks are likely to spend far more. I don't like thinking about it that way though because it seems very seedy like a "it's more profitable to fleeces the rubes" business model but...

A year or so ago I was in line in Test Track and there was a man with a son roughly my son's age. The two boys started talking and then the dad and I did.

He owned a car dealership in, I think, Ohio.

This was their "once in a lifetime trip".

He made a joke about how he was surprised the metal detectors were on the way in instead of on the way out because he was sure they were using them to look for any lose change they hadn't managed to get out of people.

The son was having fun, the man was smiling - clearly happy his son was happy - and I assume his daughter and wife who were somewhere else (he mentioned Disney Springs or GF or somewhere but not Epcot) were having fun, too but his joke made it obvious he was fully aware that Disney was gouging him. It was more of a "what can you do?" attitude but I have to wonder how long the good will with the general public will last.

My question isn't about breaking points for what people can spend but at what point they cross the line where people who can still afford it no longer consider it worth the asking price in large enough numbers for it to matter to Disney.

It's like the variable pricing - Disney charges the most for the bussiest days which also happen to be the days you're likely to have the worst possible experience.

Unlike the airline or hotel industry where they do this and everybody still more-or-less gets the same seat/room/experience minus some hassle during the busier times, when Disney charges more for you to be there on New Years, you are far more likely to have a miserable day because everything has insane waits and there is barely room to move around in some of the parks.

Unlike in these other businesses where there may be some secondary issues during busy times the actual core product save for a special fireworks show is actually lower in quality than most other days and yet they are charging a premium...

Imagine being in a fully booked hotel during busy season and not having hot water in your shower because too many people want to take showers at the same time or maybe the AC or heat in your room doesn't get very warm or cool because of "demand".

Imagine a flight that takes longer or only takes you 3/4 of the way and requires you to take a bus the rest of the way because the plane was too heavy to fly the whole distance while charging you more for the "privilege" (plus an upcharge if you want your seat at the front of the bus during that remaining drive).

To me, that's the kind of thing Disney's pricing does which is why it amazes me that so many people seem okay with it.

... but if you only go once-in-a-lifetime, maybe it's hard to see this? 🤷‍♂️
Well said - same for the Disney Cruises - I would guess a significant amount of people using credit (credit cards, personal lines of credit, home equity), etc. to pay for their trips. Amazing that people pay for discretionary entertainment with debt.

Eamethyst

Can I reserve a fast pass for it 60 days in advance?
With the purchase of a ticket or Annual Pass, you can make selections as early as 30 days before you arrive—starting at 7:00 AM Eastern Time. Plus, if you are staying at a Disney Resort hotel, you can make your FastPass+ selections up to 60 days prior to check-in for the entire length of your stay.

Eamethyst

I purchased my gold annual passes yesterday after I posted the threat about the rumors of price increases. glad I did
Disney World increases their prices for tickets and annual passes every Feb. If they are opening a new land like they did with Star Wars the prices increased twice that year.

Eamethyst

Been getting gold for 10 years and always had the blackout dates I don’t call that recent years. Haha. But yes I know all about the other passes I bought regular passes (what is called platinum now) before we joined DVC so were buying those over 10 years ago. ;)
You are right about the passes. Disney World use to offer a ticket that had no expiration date on it but this was in the early 90's. If you didn't use the rest of the dates on the ticket, you were allowed to put it towards an annual pass. Disney for many years allowed their customers to trade in any ticket if had dates left on it for another ticket even if it expired. Annual passes in 90's were $99 and $99 to renew. Disney also had what was called a season pass. It was select dates and it dit have blackout date on it. Disney also offered an after 4pm pass to Epcot. Disney offered several annual passes different names. They had black out dates even in the 90's. Disney always offered a one day pass, Muti ticket pass. Just water park passes and annual passes for the water parks. There was a pass called the select pass, gold, silver, platinum, platinum plus, weekday, theme park select pass. Not sure if I missed any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom