News Tomorrowland love

ImperfectPixie

Was out there 10 days ago. The silver looks like cheap enamel spray paint. cringe worthy.
Silver can be such an issue if you don't go all-in and use a chrome or a brushed silver finish. A lot of silver paints look cheap and turn brown over time, Silver foil (works similar to gold leaf) would work if it's something that isn't going to be touched (but I would assume there's too much within reach of guests to use that, not to mention that the process is time consuming). There are one or two paints that are nice (One-Shot makes a decent silver), but they get pricey when you're talking covering large areas.

jt04

One more bump. I found the white legs that @MadTeacup mentioned. This doesn't work guys:
T0SkuXT.jpg

@wdwmagic, in case you want to do a TL update.

And crediting the person that mentioned it of course:

Would rather they go back to original supports. But if not the white looks better than dark grey. More sci-fi-ish. The Incredibles is a good comparison as someone mentioned.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm witholding all judgment until it's finished...I just wish I knew when that would be (I guess by the time TRON opens?)

Edit: Also, did they officially announce the '94 Tomorrowland refurb prior to all of the changes, or was it after they did most of it?

trainplane3

I'm witholding all judgment until it's finished...I just wish I knew when that would be (I guess by the time TRON opens?)

Edit: Also, did they officially announce the '94 Tomorrowland refurb prior to all of the changes, or was it after they did most of it?
Same. Even though I'm not feeling well about this, I still have to wait till Tron opens to give my final opinion. Just like what I did with Riviera yesterday.

build_it

I wonder if they aren’t just sticking to one issue at a time. Get all the upper supports back to original and clean out the clutter. Then go back and continue to make changes. If a slightly simplified leg painted white is a shorter term fix while they work on more noticeable areas, I can live with that.
I also wonder if there is a plan to redo/update the facades more in the future and they might hold off on these until that point.
Just some thoughts....

Donaldfan1934

I wonder if they aren’t just sticking to one issue at a time. Get all the upper supports back to original and clean out the clutter. Then go back and continue to make changes. If a slightly simplified leg painted white is a shorter term fix while they work on more noticeable areas, I can live with that.
I also wonder if there is a plan to redo/update the facades more in the future and they might hold off on these until that point.
Just some thoughts....
On one hand, I really appreciate your optimism. On the other hand...
1581405065885.gif

Last edited:

The Visionary Soul

I’ve no idea where this project is now going TBH
I fully expect as many surfaces to be painted white as possible. Then, when the ride opens, they will do extreme projection mapping all over Tomorrowland to make everything look like the world of TRON at night, complete with a rousing custom Daft Punk musical store. Hey, I can dream, can’t I?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I fully expect as many surfaces to be painted white as possible. Then, when the ride opens, they will do extreme projection mapping all over Tomorrowland to make everything look like the world of TRON at night, complete with a rousing custom Daft Punk musical store. Hey, I can dream, can’t I?

Is that in the land that has other sympathetically themed, suitable and cohesive attractions where MILF and Buzz are and SGE was?

And a fixed SM?

trainplane3

I'd almost be ok with that.

I was thinking this could only be a test area too. It's off to the side, mostly hidden, and not all of the legs are white. If they had scrims around all of them, why didn't they all get painted? They do look really bad in person with the 70s roof supports so if this is a test, let's hope they stop while they're ahead.

britain

If I had to make lemonade from these lemons, maybe do something like this. Still isn't that great. It acknowledges the bright color accents they've been adding to the buildings, but at the same time those accents have been deliberately cutting across the contours of the surfaces. My solution below accentuates the contours. Sigh... I dunno.

1581443068138.png

awoogala

Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like they have been trying to find the right IP. It feels like they have made several movies that would fit well in this area.
Meet the Robinsons had an absolute Tomorrowland/futuristic look that could have slid in there. (My family loves this movie, but I know it wasn't a huge success).
Tomorrowland movie also looked like a mockup for Tomorrowland in the park. I mean, there were moments in the movie I said "that is absolutely made to go where blank is in the park". (again, my family adored this movie, but it wasn't a huge hit).
Were either of these ever seriously considered to be IP for that area, or am I just seeing things?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom