Least immersive attraction at DLR?

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
With immersive experiences such as Star Wars really raising the bar for immersion, what attractions at DLR are lacking the most in immersion? Guests clearly want to be immersed in the worlds of Disney and live out their own adventure. So what could be improved by immersion, be it immersing an existing attraction lacking in immersion or being replaced by an entirely new immersive experience?

My first choice would be the carousel at Disneyland.

TP2000

I too want to be immersed in Disney and live my own adventure. It's the main reason why I buy the product.

The least immersive attraction at Disney Resort Anaheim for me is Astro Orbiter.

It's ugly and squat looking and dumb. What's worse, for about 210 degrees of the 360 degree revolution I am forced to look at things that don't immerse me in Tomorrowland; the fancy restaurant in a Midwest small town circa 1905, a Polynesian shack with African elephant tusks, an 1850 Oregon Trail log fort, a pink Bavarian castle, and a Swiss mountain. And if you time it right, you can also see co-eds from Fullerton Junior College dressed up like pixies going on their Diet Coke break behind the bushes.

To fix this, I would move the ride back to an elevated platform in the middle of Tomorrowland where it can be immersed. I would also mandate that the ride once again be entirely staffed by attractive young women in polyester jump suits and go-go boots, to help the immersion of 90% of males between the ages of 15 and 79. That visitor demographic is mostly ignored at Disneyland and they deserve immersion too.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Often times at the park I find myself hungry. However, when I get in line to look at the menu choices all I ever find are regular foods. Things like sodas, burgers, and Lobster Nachos. This is the same kind of food that I eat at home! Where is the magic menu? Having a bite of real chicken completely takes me out of the Disney experience.

PiratesMansion

Most anything in Pixar Pier, especially anything with any elevation changes. Less because most things there are lame and terrible, although that is part of it, but because it is the easiest place to see the outside world from inside the parks. I really don't want to be looking at hotels and sprawl on attractions, thank you.

Yeah, the Monorail fits that description too, but the monorail is iconic and and doesn't feel like it could be moved it to Legoland and fit right in with minimal effort in the way the pier attractions generally do. And the "nothing to look at but the outside world" part of the monorail has gotten shorter since the resort complex has been built up.

Figments Friend

Those tiny restrooms straddled between Main Street and Tomorrowland.
There is also a Cast entrance / exit to backstage right next to them.
Sometimes, one can be swept up in a little crowd of Cast when they are heading back there and i am heading to those restrooms.

Wait, actually....maybe that makes these the MOST 'immersive' restrooms then.
Every time i try to use em' , i almost always end up getting 'swept along' with a small pack of Cast and almost end up behind the wall in 'forbidden territory'.
It's like a 'Cast Member Backstage Magic Experience' for wannabes !

Well, kinda......

Sort of.....

Okay, i'll be quiet now.

-

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Surprised no one's said Autopia yet. You're driving gas-powered go carts for pete's sake. And they're not even remotely fast.

TrainsOfDisney

Surprised no one's said Autopia yet. You're driving gas-powered go carts for pete's sake. And they're not even remotely fast.

The original autopia has a really nice charm to it. I also really like the simple robot scenes that were added to the attraction. I agree it would be nice if they added electric cars, but it’s still a charming attraction.

PiratesMansion

Autopia certainly isn't the biggest or baddest attraction in the DLR roster, but it's in the top tier of car rides out there, IMO. There's definitely a charm to it. Converting the cars to electric would make them even nicer.

Even now, it's still worlds better than, say, the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway.

While I'm sure at some point they'll gut it or shorten it, and that entire secluded back section of Tomorrowland will receive some severe reconstruction surgery, you just KNOW that whatever they do with that area once they get to it won't be nearly as nice or as layered as what is there now. There are so many areas of the resort that are in much more urgent need of attention.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Driving one of the Autopia cars through the little park as the Monorail passes and you watch the bobsleds go in Matterhorn is one of my favorite Disneyland experiences. Even better when the fireworks are going off.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
My bad all. I could've done better. Would be nice if they electrified the cars and made it more futuristic, minus the camping robot(s?)

Blu

Goofys sky school. I’m annoyed eveytime I gotta explaine to my kids how this heap of steal even exists at a Disney park. 2nd is the equally baffling “lobby” for the Hyperion theater. 3rd is everything that happens with the biggest mail it in job monster inc. marquee till your in the first show screen.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Goofys sky school. I’m annoyed eveytime I gotta explaine to my kids how this heap of steal even exists at a Disney park. 2nd is the equally baffling “lobby” for the Hyperion theater. 3rd is everything that happens with the biggest mail it in job monster inc. marquee till your in the first show screen.

Excuse me? This is one of the most immersive yet charming experiences in any Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom