Animatronic’s Hand Falls Off During Performance of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress

KevinPage

CDE47F1E-51B7-490E-8BAD-41E16A4F86B2.gif

Tavernacle12

I know the show eats people, but it's past time to renovate it. The animatronics need fixing and the last scene needs updated. Better to renovate now than to wait for it to be beyond repair.
I have noticed poor show at CoP since 1996. It's grown worse and worse. After nearly 25 years, I don't have faith that Disney has any substantive plans to fix things. More along the lines of the monorail's silly "refresh."

They did refresh the entire paint scheme (twice, the first one got wrecked) and the signage fairly recently. There's also been plenty of murmurs about the last scene redux happening at some point, the money just keeps winding up somewhere else (I got the impression this is sort of the same vein as how we keep seeming to not quite get the BTM update).

Worth noting, too, that neither this incident nor the earlier damage from the kid that rushed the stage seems to have put it in serious downtime. I think in both cases it was open again fairly quickly without lasting damage.

Goofyernmost

I know the show eats people, but it's past time to renovate it. The animatronics need fixing and the last scene needs updated. Better to renovate now than to wait for it to be beyond repair.
What do we update the last scene to be that would be significant. Disney stopped trying to predict the future a long time ago. However, as a historical statement it fits in with Tomorrowland exactly the way it is. How do we appreciate the millennium we are currently in without a reminder or a depiction of what life was like during and up through to the 21st century. It is a classic attraction that shows what life was like up until this century. It is a very entertaining way to educate those that are to young to ever have experienced what their parents, grandparents and even great grandparents dealt with before modern technology slammed us all.

To me it seems like we should all try and appreciate it for what it is and not constantly think it needs to be changed. Besides the real attraction is that the audience actually goes from theater to theater without taking their lazy 21st century butts of the seat cushion. Not bad for 56 year old technology and honestly has anyone ever seen anything like that elsewhere? In WDW it is the detail that tells the story, not how modern it does or doesn't look. The last time there was a push to make changes, we almost lost it completely. It will go eventually when the maintenance cost exceeds the return. It will happen, and anyone with any sense of history will miss it. In the words of Joni Mitchell, "We don't know what we've got till it's gone." We are all too anxious to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

Tony the Tigger

Like father, like daughter. (There was just another thread about the daughter missing a hand.)

I’d like to see them restore the first scene to the original. First, film the current 80’s scene. Also, film a new final scene (it could even be animated.)

Then when you ride, you’ll have multiple possible endings: the original, the 80’s (projected) or something that takes you quickly from the 60’s to the future (projected.)
I’d love all three, but obviously each scene has to be the same length of time in order for it to rotate proper

dreamfinder

Isn't that the same scene where someone climbed up on stage? I think I see the butter churn over his shoulder. Wouldn't be shocked it it got impacted internally, and they just didn't notice it until now when it fell off.

donaldtoo

I have always thought/felt (other than it needing the TLC it deserves) that any of the scenes in CoP that have changed from the original should be taken back to what they were. It was meant to showcase and celebrate the progress through the turn of 20th century history and up to the time period it was produced.
The final scene is so far removed from the 40’s scene before it that the time continuity just doesn’t feel right and isn’t right, IMO.
I think it needs to be restored back to where it originally was as a tribute to Walt and as a reflection of that period in our history.

WDWFREAK53

My blue sky would be trying to get one more scene in but marni says that’s not possible, so with the handicap of 4 scenes, I would turn the carousel of progress into a celebration of the advances made in the 20th century:

Scene 1: 1900s, no changes
Scene 2: 1940s, no changes
Scene 3: July 24, 1969, have the family getting ready to watch the moon landing. Have Jimmy getting ready to go to Boy Scout Camp, Patty going to a rock concert (and be a hippy,) and have Sarah working in a home office having joined the work force.
Scene 4: New Years Eve 1999: You can still have the Christmas decorations up, but have the family all together to count down to the year 2000 and talk about all the amazing things that happened this century.

It kills me to loose the 1920s scene as it’s probably my favorite but I see no way to have it stay in the show.

So you have a refresh about Progress that would already be 21 years old?

Touchdown

So you have a refresh about Progress that would already be 21 years old?

It’s never going to keep up with the times, the 20th century was an amazing century of technological advances. The Metro-Retro Society would certainly want to highlight the century that brought us the mass assembly line, atomic energy, space flight, computers and the internet.

There really hasn’t been a century that has experienced that much progress in our history and likely won’t be again for awhile.

Parker in NYC

What do we update the last scene to be that would be significant. Disney stopped trying to predict the future a long time ago. However, as a historical statement it fits in with Tomorrowland exactly the way it is. How do we appreciate the millennium we are currently in without a reminder or a depiction of what life was like during and up through to the 21st century. It is a classic attraction that shows what life was like up until this century. It is a very entertaining way to educate those that are to young to ever have experienced what their parents, grandparents and even great grandparents dealt with before modern technology slammed us all.

To me it seems like we should all try and appreciate it for what it is and not constantly think it needs to be changed. Besides the real attraction is that the audience actually goes from theater to theater without taking their lazy 21st century butts of the seat cushion. Not bad for 56 year old technology and honestly has anyone ever seen anything like that elsewhere? In WDW it is the detail that tells the story, not how modern it does or doesn't look. The last time there was a push to make changes, we almost lost it completely. It will go eventually when the maintenance cost exceeds the return. It will happen, and anyone with any sense of history will miss it. In the words of Joni Mitchell, "We don't know what we've got till it's gone." We are all too anxious to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

I'm not ready to quote the lady of the Alberta plains. I don't want to pave anything. I don't want to update anything. I just ask for the care and upkeep a beloved attraction deserves.

Goofyernmost

I'm not ready to quote the lady of the Alberta plains. I don't want to pave anything. I don't want to update anything. I just ask for the care and upkeep a beloved attraction deserves.
Most of us agree to that. I want it to stay as one of a very few enshrined attractions that really was primarily responsible for the Disney Theme parks as we know it. It was unheard of until Walt and crew invaded the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Without that all of the animatronics we know and love today might never have been created. It is far more important then Small World, the Tiki Room, Pirates, Haunted mansion and others.

Parker in NYC

Most of us agree to that. I want it to stay as one of a very few enshrined attractions that really was primarily responsible for the Disney Theme parks as we know it. It was unheard of until Walt and crew invaded the New York Worlds Fair in 1964. Without that all of the animatronics we know and love today might never have been created. It is far more important then Small World, the Tiki Room, Pirates, Haunted mansion and others.

I'd say the Tiki Room is pretty important since it predates CoP, too. But yes.

Goofyernmost

I'd say the Tiki Room is pretty important since it predates CoP, too. But yes.
Yes, it is very important, and it does predate, but even as impressive as the Tiki Room is, it really doesn't hold a candle to the creativity and complexity of CoP. The two really started it. Tiki was that "one little spark of inspiration" that became that magnificent creation.

RobWDW1971

All true - in 1964.

Walt was about progress and the future which was captured in the entire essence of Tomorrowland (which he completely rebuilt in just its first decade to keep it fresh and take advantage of the latest technology) and in this specific attraction for the World’s Fair.

I think he’d be horrified if he came back and saw that it is still going instead of having new stories being told with new technology that are relevant to the current audiences.

I’ve seen this show countless times since it came to DL in the 60’s and it’s beloved, but to me, this is the kind of thinking that allows WDI to be lazy and watch these “museum” attractions just sit and rot. The fact that this show was specifically about progress and was a moment of its time makes it even worse.

COP, we love you. But it’s time....

Goofyernmost

All true - in 1964.

Walt was about progress and the future which was captured in the entire essence of Tomorrowland (which he completely rebuilt in just its first decade to keep it fresh and take advantage of the latest technology) and in this specific attraction for the World’s Fair.

I think he’d be horrified if he came back and saw that it is still going instead of having new stories being told with new technology that are relevant to the current audiences.

I’ve seen this show countless times since it came to DL in the 60’s and it’s beloved, but to me, this is the kind of thinking that allows WDI to be lazy and watch these “museum” attractions just sit and rot. The fact that this show was specifically about progress and was a moment of its time makes it even worse.

COP, we love you. But it’s time....
CoP we love you and like a good old friend you need to stay. I think we can all agree, that Tomorrowland is nothing like it was first envisioned and that is because technology changes faster then they can keep up with it now. That wasn't a problem when Walt first designed it. I still think that there is nothing more important then keeping our past as we progress forward. We can combine the two successfully and truth be known, if our children don't have a way to see where we came from they can't really be encouraged to create on their own. That show is more important now then it was in the 60's and the important thing is if someone doesn't want to see it all they have to do is walk by. There is no guarantee that whatever they replace it with will be any better then what was there already and a whole lot of history will be lost. There really is no win in this. If they wanted to add something new, they have plenty of space to add attractions. Look what happened to that prime property that was occupied by Stitch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom