News Tomorrowland love

Donaldfan1934

I really wish they'd just taken the opportunity to freshen up the parts of TL '94 that had fallen into disrepair and then dress up everything past Rockettower Plaza in a way that transitions from Buck Rogers to TRON. The new Carousel of Progress sign is a good example of a style that could bridge the gap.
While I agree that the CoP sign is a good example of how to bridge the gap between two styles, I disagree that TL ‘94 should be the style to transition from. The original TL style is at least sleek and clean like Tron is while TL’ 94 was the exact opposite with most of its features being made up sharp edges and visible nuts and bolts.

trainplane3

Look on the bright side. The fact that the legs weren’t cheaply altered while under the scrims means there’s still hope for them to be properly removed later. My guess is their removal would also necessitate the removal of the red neon lights under the track, so I assume that process won’t begin until work on the supports is finally completed.
Oh I'm not going to worry about the legs yet. I will worry if there's an update and they're painted white.

I think they should rework the neon to a LED setup that could change color at night. It'd add a nice splash of color to the land and shouldn't be overpowering since it's adjustable. Even better since the PM already has RGB lights above it that are barely used.

Donaldfan1934

Oh I'm not going to worry about the legs yet. I will worry if there's an update and they're painted white.
Agreed.
I think they should rework the neon to a LED setup that could change color at night. It'd add a nice splash of color to the land and shouldn't be overpowering since it's adjustable. Even better since the PM already has RGB lights above it that are barely used.
Agreed again. Something like that would certainly help it blend in with TRON at night.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Looks like one of the sections of roof supports is done:
tomorrowland-visual-refresh-peoplemover-magic-kingdom-02032020-4.jpg

tomorrowland-decor-construction-peoplemover-magic-kingdom-01252020-01-1.jpg
Now about the "legs"...
tomorrowland-visual-refresh-peoplemover-magic-kingdom-02032020-3.jpg

Wake me up when the bring back the waterfalls.

You know something impressive like this.

266e8be45469a2b22c46622113221e93.jpg

rct247

I'm sad seeing Tomorrowland '94 go. I loved the Sci-Fi City concept. I know many of the elements had that industrial 1930s/1940s futuristic look, they could have been changed ever so slightly to be more modern. The removal of the light columns outside of Monsters was a great example of something that could have been kept.
tomorrowland (83).jpg

It just looked so vibrant and exciting.

Tommorrowland1080t.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sad seeing Tomorrowland '94 go. I loved the Sci-Fi City concept. I know many of the elements had that industrial 1930s/1940s futuristic look, they could have been changed ever so slightly to be more modern. The removal of the light columns outside of Monsters was a great example of something that could have been kept. View attachment 446726

Man, that land would be always busy, even with no one in it.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'm sad seeing Tomorrowland '94 go. I loved the Sci-Fi City concept. I know many of the elements had that industrial 1930s/1940s futuristic look, they could have been changed ever so slightly to be more modern. The removal of the light columns outside of Monsters was a great example of something that could have been kept. View attachment 446726
View attachment 446720

I agree, I am quite fond of the steampunk motif, but do have an appreciation of the smooth futuristic modern touch which was originally envisioned.

The problem right now, is that Tomorrow Land doesn't know what it wants to be.

SplashJacket

View attachment 446720

I actually find these photos very interesting.

Tomorrowland 94' has an aesthetic more similar to Discoveryland and what Tomorrowland is becoming most closely resembles Tomorrowland in Shanghai.

Given that Tron is coming to MK I say the transition is justified and will undoubtedly be an improvement.

That being said, I also did not hate the Tomorrowland 94' aesthetic, however, I feel like it was very half-baked. Had it been executed properly it could have lived up to Discoveryland.

Overall, very excited about the improvements. I would like to see some water features pop up.

MadTeacup

Sorry to be that guy, but clearly you're all missing the work they've been doing on the legs. They've been replacing the ornaments at the top and bottom that look like a heat sink or other-worldly bolt with a flat, round piece of plastic. I believe they've begun painting some of the legs white as well.

I totally agree with all the neon. Replace all the red and blue with programmable RGB LEDs.

20200204_164331.jpg

Last edited:

jt04

I actually find these photos very interesting.

Tomorrowland 94' has an aesthetic more similar to Discoveryland and what Tomorrowland is becoming most closely resembles Tomorrowland in Shanghai.

Given that Tron is coming to MK I say the transition is justified and will undoubtedly be an improvement.

That being said, I also did not hate the Tomorrowland 94' aesthetic, however, I feel like it was very half-baked. Had it been executed properly it could have lived up to Discoveryland.

Overall, very excited about the improvements. I would like to see some water features pop up.

"Sci Fi City" steampunk was a great idea but OG T-Land resonates better IMO because it more reflects what Walt Disney designed in his time. It has become iconic and timeless in every sense.

MadTeacup

"Sci Fi City" steampunk was a great idea but OG T-Land resonates better IMO because it more reflects what Walt Disney designed in his time. It has become iconic and timeless in every sense.
Walt never actually designed anything. He trusted the creative people around him to design wonderful things. It is my belief that despite it negating the original concept of Tomorrowland (a showcase of what the future will hold), the Spaceport theming of Tomorrowland '94 is something Walt would have gotten very excited about. It was a well-planned land with a great story tying all the theming together. Additionally it had fun mini-stories happening throughout, such as RoboNews. If anything, I believe he would have seen a land like TL94 fully funded so that the theming and great storytelling would have carried on throughout the entire land. Mind you, I have no way of truly knowing this. I also hate playin up the Walt nostalgia. Walt's nostalgia was mainly rooted in american history. Otherwise, he didn't exactly strike me as a nostalgic person. I believe the best way to actually honor Walt is by creating change.

jt04

Walt never actually designed anything. He trusted the creative people around him to design wonderful things. It is my belief that despite it negating the original concept of Tomorrowland (a showcase of what the future will hold), the Spaceport theming of Tomorrowland '94 is something Walt would have gotten very excited about. It was a well-planned land with a great story tying all the theming together. Additionally it had fun mini-stories happening throughout, such as RoboNews. If anything, I believe he would have seen a land like TL94 fully funded so that the theming and great storytelling would have carried on throughout the entire land. Mind you, I have no way of truly knowing this. I also hate playin up the Walt nostalgia. Walt's nostalgia was mainly rooted in american history. Otherwise, he didn't exactly strike me as a nostalgic person. I believe the best way to actually honor Walt is by creating change.

I agree to an extent but not all of what you say. MSUSA was never designed to "evolve" thematically. Tomorrowland can keep its original aesthetic for the same reason because that design has become iconic and timeless. Your conclusions are accurate when applied to Future World though. That has been proven repeatedly.

If WDW didn't have so much room to grow, plus potential growth at other theme parks, holding on to the sci-fi city theme would be more important. I think you will see the concept again. Epic Universe?

aladdin2007

okay bare with me...after being there today I don't care for how its looking Im sorry to say, was not impressed with any of it. I kept asking myself where are they going with this ugly place. Nothing is really improving, it looks like they just painted things over, removed some things, and leaving the fins white? I know the original land was mostly white and that looked good back then, but somehow now its just not......star traders has been reduced to barren and blank walls and a boring aesthetic for a store, stripped down to nothing! It has half the merch it use to have! They could have done something really cool and space like in there.

This piecemeal project has been ongoing for how long now? I know most here still say its not done,,,but Im not seeing anything that looks all that good..........the stitch facade looks lousy which doesn't help either.

sorry but I left there today disappointed with it even more, its all just meh. Maybe the massive crowds (wow was it bad) has me disenchanted and worn out but I just wish they would do something on the level of 94's new tomorrowland, an actual full scale concept.
It was discussed some posts back I think but do we know if this is an actual Imagineering project? or just local management choices?

The Visionary Soul

Kinda sorta I think. Pantera Entertainment leads it I think but this is a separate thing. But it is going to work with parks created in TPS I think? I'm not quite clear. I remember TPS being pretty heavily criticized when it came out but I didn't follow that. I'm a Planet Coaster and No Limits 2 person.

I love the TL 1979 project and that's my main reason for following it.
The whole of “Pantera Entertainment” is one guy in his house and then he just farms out the coding to individual people (3rd parties) around the world. Not like a huge company or anything, but honestly not a bad or uncommon business model. But if it’s Pantera, you can bet that it’s the same thing with a different name and lots of upgrades. He wouldn’t dump the engine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom