News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

britain

I think new look will be gorgeous. It was bland before.

So, the wrap is most likely a reproduction of Fantasyland '83 concept art. That doesn't mean they AREN'T changing the facade to look more like that, but since it's old art there's a good chance it's not going to look like that at all.

1580742689475.png

Mickeyboof

The Press Release did say “The exterior of the attraction will be completely refreshed with new, fairy tale-inspired details to complement the nearby charming Sleeping Beauty Castle.”

So curious to see which way that leans...

mickEblu

Disagree. The Pinocchio ride is very underrated and works well. The only thing it needs is upgraded lighting like the version in Tokyo.

I think the pleasure island scene needs a lot of work (lighting, projections) and could be cut in half. I’d love for them to add an underwater scene even though it wouldn’t make sense. It’s just such a big part of the movie. The soundtrack for the under water scene is iconic and should be incorporated somehow.

PiratesMansion

Pinocchio is, IMO, the least interesting and distinctive of all of the dark rides.

The only well-realized environment for me is the Gepetto section at the end. The rest of it just goes on from incident to incident without any real payoff. The colors are largely dark, muted, and ugly, which contrasts with the lushness and beauty of the feature film.

But perhaps I'm in the minority, as someone in a position of authority saw it fit to build the ride THREE TIMES. THREE.

I mean, I understand why Peter Pan was built more than three times, it's iconic.
Snow White, four times? Sure, spookhouse ride, an original.
Mediocre versions of Pooh four times? Sells merchandise. I don't like it, but understand it from an exec level.
Pinocchio, three times?
...?
What does Pinocchio offer that the other rides don't?

disneyC97

And in Paris they were able to do the awesome one side Fantasyland/one side Adventureland facades/theming of the adjacent restaurant.

Professortango1

Pinocchio is, IMO, the least interesting and distinctive of all of the dark rides.

The only well-realized environment for me is the Gepetto section at the end. The rest of it just goes on from incident to incident without any real payoff. The colors are largely dark, muted, and ugly, which contrasts with the lushness and beauty of the feature film.

But perhaps I'm in the minority, as someone in a position of authority saw it fit to build the ride THREE TIMES. THREE.

I mean, I understand why Peter Pan was built more than three times, it's iconic.
Snow White, four times? Sure, spookhouse ride, an original.
Mediocre versions of Pooh four times? Sells merchandise. I don't like it, but understand it from an exec level.
Pinocchio, three times?
...?
What does Pinocchio offer that the other rides don't?

Pinocchio captures the film perfectly. It is a story about how dark and twisted the real world is and how there is danger and corruption around every turn. We are constantly venturing into what should be fun worlds that have an underlying danger and grit to them. We go to the theatre and celebrate fame, but we see that the performers are slaves and in cages. We visit an amusement park that is both fun and unnerving only to see it melt away to mountains of garbage as the kids are transformed and captured. We finally start following the directions to return home and are attacked by Monstro. It is a daring journey.

PiratesMansion

It's also a spookhouse ride. It's supposed to be dark and disturbing.

Which seems to reinforce that there's nothing particularly distinctive about the ride, especially with your conventional Snow White ride next door. It's redundant and less effective than the older, more historically notable one next door. That is, unless Snow White changes dramatically. Cue the refurb!

That's the answer; if Pinocchio is pivoted to be the only spookhouse ride, than Snow White is free to be reformulated into the frilly princess ride of a merchandiser's dreams.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think the pleasure island scene needs a lot of work (lighting, projections) and could be cut in half. I’d love for them to add an underwater scene even though it wouldn’t make sense. It’s just such a big part of the movie. The soundtrack for the under water scene is iconic and should be incorporated somehow.

I think you would need a completely new ride to capture the underwater scene and being inside the whale. It would be like entering the star destroyer hanger in ROTS.

Professortango1

Which seems to reinforce that there's nothing particularly distinctive about the ride, especially with your conventional Snow White ride next door. It's redundant and less effective than the older, more historically notable one next door. That is, unless Snow White changes dramatically. Cue the refurb!

That's the answer; if Pinocchio is pivoted to be the only spookhouse ride, than Snow White is free to be reformulated into the frilly princess ride of a merchandiser's dreams.

One is a chase and the other is venturing into a dangerous world. One has a villain chasing you and the other has you running into shady characters and traps at every turn. They are different. Saying they are the same is like saying US is the same as Halloween. Both involve scary people in onesies with sharp objects, but the films are completely different stories and feels.

PiratesMansion

One is a chase and the other is venturing into a dangerous world. One has a villain chasing you and the other has you running into shady characters and traps at every turn. They are different. Saying they are the same is like saying US is the same as Halloween. Both involve scary people in onesies with sharp objects, but the films are completely different stories and feels.

I'm not disputing that, just saying that it could provide an avenue for Disney to go as frilly-girly-princessy as possible in the Snow White redo, if "they" felt they already had the spookhouse genre covered in some capacity.

Now, Snow White does just about everything more effectively than Pinocchio barring the ending, so it wouldn't be my choice for them to do that. But I could see some toady exec making that argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom