BREAKING NEWS RE Columbia Harbor House

Goofyernmost

Coke is an official sponsor of Disney World though. That doesn’t mean that Disney does or doesn’t get free syrup, but there is a deal that’s for sure. It’s certainly possible that Disney gets the syrup for free or “at cost” in exchange for Disney purchasing bottled drinks at the regular rate.

I worked for a small tourist attraction and we got free coke machines, refrigerators, and servicing of machines in our sponsorship deal. I’m sure Disney has a better deal than we did.
I realize that the deal must be huge, but the thing that is also huge is the amount of coke syrup that is necessary just for WDW alone. A lot of small venues with relatively small consumption would be a good advertising investment. In any business there is a law of diminishing returns and unless there is some other "direct" return it just doesn't make any sense at all. I hadn't thought of the bottle sales. What is it now $4.50 per bottle. It isn't likely that Coke is letting Disney have that windfall without getting a substantial kick in the bank account along with Disney.

Since there is probably a yearly contract between Coke and Disney if people are wondering why they might limit refills, there is a chance that Coke has a limit on how much nearly free syrup they dish out and after that Disney has to pay a higher price for it, therefore, Disney might limit the refills to keep the profit margin up.

Realizing this is all speculation, there can be any number of scenario's involved with this, I am fairly sure, common sense wise, that Coke is not giving away their primary product anymore then Disney allows everyone in the parks for free.

Monorail_Red_77

Quite honestly, I am shocked that any quick service restaurant, save for "food court style" places where you get your own fountain drinks, ever offered free refills.
I usually hit up the self serve restaurants for this reason, like Electric Umbrella or Restauratosaurus. However, getting refills at a quick service where CM's provide drinks are hit or miss. Sometimes I can get refills at Cosmic Ray's and sometimes they say no. I am in the parks on a monthly basis, sometimes more often. At least at the Resorts you get 3 refills after your first fill within a specified time limit.

Monorail_Red_77

I don’t believe they ever offered free refills at any counter service where the fountains were behind the counter. When the fountains are accessible to guests, the price point for the soda is different.
You can sometimes get free refills. I have had hit or miss success at Cosmic Rays for example. I think it depends on the CM. I'm sure though it is general policy not to give them.

Monorail_Red_77

I realize that the deal must be huge, but the thing that is also huge is the amount of coke syrup that is necessary just for WDW alone. A lot of small venues with relatively small consumption would be a good advertising investment. In any business there is a law of diminishing returns and unless there is some other "direct" return it just doesn't make any sense at all. I hadn't thought of the bottle sales. What is it now $4.50 per bottle. It isn't likely that Coke is letting Disney have that windfall without getting a substantial kick in the bank account along with Disney.

Since there is probably a yearly contract between Coke and Disney if people are wondering why they might limit refills, there is a chance that Coke has a limit on how much nearly free syrup they dish out and after that Disney has to pay a higher price for it, therefore, Disney might limit the refills to keep the profit margin up.

Realizing this is all speculation, there can be any number of scenario's involved with this, I am fairly sure, common sense wise, that Coke is not giving away their primary product anymore then Disney allows everyone in the parks for free.

Another fun fact is that the gas stations on property fall under this Coke deal also. The 4 or so gas stations on property do not sell Pepsi products, just coke related.

jaklgreen

I worked for a small tourist attraction and we got free coke machines, refrigerators, and servicing of machines in our sponsorship deal. I’m sure Disney has a better deal than we did.

This is the norm for most restaurants. The company provides the machines and service for the life of your contract with them.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Fear is paying to use restrooms like in Paris and London public facilities.

Oh so true. I can recall a very unpleasant experience I had after eating lunch and then going to see Notre Dame and having to run to a bathroom and having my friend chase behind with change to give the bathroom attendant because I just could not manage to pull out any money. Luckily she saw I was in some distress and let me in a stall while my friend paid her.

Jon81uk

I just live in fear for the day they stop giving free cups of ice water.

In the UK if an establishment serves alcohol they must legally also give free tap water, this is mainly to stop people getting too drunk but it is also nice to know you can't be charged for basic water. Now they could charge for the ice if they really wanted to.

Lilofan

In the UK if an establishment serves alcohol they must legally also give free tap water, this is mainly to stop people getting too drunk but it is also nice to know you can't be charged for basic water. Now they could charge for the ice if they really wanted to.
That's good, I just don't like the pay to use public restroom in parts of Europe.

OG Runner

Wrong name but the CHH does NOT provide free refills anymore. I apologize for the mistake. However, the last bastion of free refills at MK CSRs has been overcome by the penny pinching bean counters. It is a sad day.

How many drinks do you have with your meal? Were you purchasing a small drink and constantly refilling it? Buy one large drink and drink it and leave it at that. Too many carbonated beverages are not good for your health. Disney just wants you healthy enough to come back and spend more money.

markc

Some places do and some places don't. Life is like that. One thing I object to is the implication that Coke "gives" Disney the syrup. Coke no longer needs loss leaders and would be one stupid business if they gave away their product in the massive amounts that Disney consumes them. Discounted, sure! Free no.

It's fine to object to an implication, which is why I'm objecting to your implication that it isn't free. But trust me when I say this (and this is NO implication...).... the syrup is free.

They would have to have a manufacturing plant to provide just what Disney uses.

There you go with your implications that you so detest in others (Just kidding with ya ;)) But you're incorrect. The Coca Cola facility in Florida that provides the syrup for the Florida parks accounts for no more than 5-7% of their daily production capacity. The Coca Cola facility in Ontario California that provides for Disneyland accounts for an even smaller percentage of their syrup "drum" production.

Goofyernmost

It's fine to object to an implication, which is why I'm objecting to your implication that it isn't free. But trust me when I say this (and this is NO implication...).... the syrup is free.

There you go with your implications that you so detest in others (Just kidding with ya ;)) But you're incorrect. The Coca Cola facility in Florida that provides the syrup for the Florida parks accounts for no more than 5-7% of their daily production capacity. The Coca Cola facility in Ontario California that provides for Disneyland accounts for an even smaller percentage of their syrup "drum" production.
Then Coke is the must foolishly run business in the country. You speak like someone that seems to know, so I will assume you do, but I don't understand why they would take a high demand product and give it to a place that has mind boggling profits. Charities, sure! Amateur sporting events, yup but, fabulously wealthy businesses that use that product to produce even more profit. Makes no sense to me.

Goofyernmost

Another fun fact is that the gas stations on property fall under this Coke deal also. The 4 or so gas stations on property do not sell Pepsi products, just coke related.
Coke has really gone soft. There was a time that they told stores that if they carried Pepsi they wouldn't have any Coke product to sell.

Tom P.

Even if your numbers are correct, it would make absolutely no sense for 5-7% of the company's daily production capacity to simply be given away for free. None what-so-ever. I have no inside knowledge of the situation, but that would be a monumentally stupid business decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom