Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Phroobar

I just want to know why you defend every poor decision Disney has made (or seemingly have defended in my brief time here). with Rise of the Resistance. But you deflect. So, I'll just assume it's a fact of life and move on.
It's always the new ones that have no clue how things work around here.

Phroobar

Since a large number of the AP crowd doesn't get a boarding group first thing in the morning instantly leaves the park, it really messes with parking cast members. The M&F parking structure gets left with lots of empty spaces that the parking staff just filled. The parking cast members can't touch those floors because of the way they fill in parking levels. This leaves the parking structures artificially full even when morning floors are mostly empty.

truecoat

Since a large number of the AP crowd doesn't get a boarding group first thing in the morning instantly leaves the park, it really messes with parking cast members. The M&F parking structure gets left with lots of empty spaces that the parking staff just filled. The parking cast members can't touch those floors because of the way they fill in parking levels. This leaves the parking structures artificially full even when morning floors are mostly empty.

I thought they installed a smart parking system letting people know how many spaces are open on each floor?

Phroobar

I thought they installed a smart parking system letting people know how many spaces are open on each floor?
They did and it works great in the evening cause they know which spots are empty and traffic flow is low but it doesn't work very well with a steady stream of thousands of cars parking. That is why they direct you to park. If they didn't, everyone would try to get those few open spots near the elevators causing congestion.

Last edited:

DarkMetroid567

I bet this disclaimer lets them say noView attachment 444986
I think those theme breaking signs around the park, esplanade too?, say something to that effect as well. We’re gambling to get on a theme park ride

I know for a fact that when I worked alongside Guest Relations at DHS, we were able to do this, though. I saw it happen everyday from December 5th onwards.

Keep in mind that signs are very easily missed during rope drop (DL has been better about this) and they are only available in English.

Sounds like entitlement to me.

If I’m paying $150 for a peak 1-park ticket? Sure. I wouldn’t really mind being called entitled for the rest of my life. I don’t owe Disney anything, why should I worry about complaining (without getting out of hand)?

I don’t want to pay $150 for a chance to ride a ride. If I already know I’m screwed by park open, why shouldn’t I try?

DarkMetroid567

And how long before every tom **** and harry would try to do the same thing and posting on facebook "hey, goto DL and just say you couldn't get a BG and you get your money back and get in DL for free!!"

Nonunique. It’s been happening for longer than you think.

Also, the idea is that you’d leave. Disney does tend to be more generous than it needs to, though.

Phroobar

If I’m paying $150 for a peak 1-park ticket? Sure. I wouldn’t really mind being called entitled for the rest of my life. I don’t owe Disney anything, why should I worry about complaining (without getting out of hand)?

I don’t want to pay $150 for a chance to ride a ride. If I already know I’m screwed by park open, why shouldn’t I try?
RotR is not the only ride in the park. Disneyland has lots of other rides for you to enjoy. You are not guaranteed to ride anything. Rides go down all the time. Disney owes you nothing for your $150 except the right to be in their park for the day.

DarkMetroid567

RotR is not the only ride in the park. Disneyland has lots of other rides for you to enjoy. You are not guaranteed to ride anything. Rides go down all the time. Disney owes you nothing for your $150 except the right to be in their park for the day.

There is a big disparity, though. You can get into a line for the Matterhorn at any point of the day and technically be fine, even if it breaks down. No real argument to be made. You’re not guaranteed, but you’re... not not guaranteed.

There’s a different case to be made for backup boarding and the lack of standby line.

Sure, the $150 only grants entry, but it also pays for the world-class guest relations provided. You can always use the price paid as a bargaining chip. Call it entitlement, but I honestly won’t fight anyone for using it.

Phroobar

Sure, the $150 only grants entry, but it also pays for the world-class guest relations provided. You can always use the price paid as a bargaining chip. Call it entitlement, but I honestly won’t fight anyone for using it.
The money doesn't grant you the right to bully a guest relations cast member into giving you special access above anyone else.

shambolicdefending

But, implicit in the way Disney has done all this is the idea that people who wouldn't otherwise be showing up in January would be motivated to, solely by RotR.

In reality, I doubt it's working out that way, but that's the theory.

Professortango1

The money doesn't grant you the right to bully a guest relations cast member into giving you special access above anyone else.

If I bought a one day ticket and didn't get a boarding pass, I'd be asking for an immediate refund of my ticket and parking. I'd be in line at Guest Relations at 8:02, so they couldn't claim that I had already used their services. I have a few friends who have tried 3+ times and still have not received a boarding pass. A friend of mine finally got his this week on his 6th try.

Phroobar

But, implicit in the way Disney has done all this is the idea that people who wouldn't otherwise be showing up in January would be motivated to, solely by RotR.

In reality, I doubt it's working out that way, but that's the theory.
No one is planning a vacation day at Disneyland solely to ride RotR. Tourists think the park will be packed so they aren't showing up in January. The AP crowd is showing up in the morning to ride instead of after work as usual and then leaving. This leaves a very nice uncrowded park which is not what Disney wants for a new billion dollar land.

shambolicdefending

No one is planning a vacation day at Disneyland solely to ride RotR. Tourists think the park will be packed so they aren't showing up in January. The AP crowd is showing up in the morning to ride instead of after work as usual and then leaving. This leaves a very nice uncrowded park which is not what Disney wants for a new billion dollar land.
Sounds like we agree.

BubbaQuest

No one is planning a vacation day at Disneyland solely to ride RotR.

I am. There is no other reason for me to go back to Disneyland right now. I've been hundreds of times over many decades and have found better and/or cheaper options in the past 5 years. The only reason for me to go to any Disney park right now is to experience RotR. More than likely, I'll go to Orlando because I'll also get Tron, real Guardians of the Galaxy, and a better chance of riding.

I understand I am no longer the Disney demographic -- I don't need princess costumes or popcorn buckets, so you're right, paying Disney customers are not planning a day solely to ride RotR.

el_super

Most of these statements are a little contradictory.

If the tourists weren't coming specifically RotR, they wouldn't care if the park was crowded or not, because they typically do not come in January anyway.

If the AP crowd were typically showing up after work, they couldn't really show up in the morning because they would be... at work.

If this is a different group of AP holders, then Disney would have successfully distributed the crowds and while the park would feel less crowded in the afternoon, you'd still have the same number of people showing up over the course of the day.

Mickeyboof

But.... isn’t that the goal of opening a new land? People coming to experience the new land? People focused on the new land?

There’s an ad campaign out right now about how “you’ve done that, but you haven’t done THIS! Now is the best time to visit! Ahora!”

The goal of a new land is for people to come specifically for that new addition.

I mean, people went to universal to ride Forbidden Journey. They didn’t book their trip to ride the other rides. Sure, it’s included in the package... but if your trips goal was to experience the new land, you’ll want to do just that.

People are booking trips FOR Galaxy’s Edge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom