News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

TrainsOfDisney

WDW in 2020 opening a $17K/year club would be like if Wal-Mart opened a VIP lounge in the back of their stores.

This is the same resort that sells thin, faded t-shirts, looks to cut staffing wherever they can, delays routine refurbishment, ignores show quality, makes cuts to the quality and variety of food menus etc.

I mean, sure you get a "private" lounge at EPCOT so you don't have to drink with the great unwashed, so it must be worth it.

Don’t forget free Mickey ice cream bars. If I ever joined I would be certain to eat my annual fee in ice cream bars! That would show them! That’s about 10 per day... challenge accepted!

TrainsOfDisney

If Disney changed the terms and everyone signed the same contract, there would be multiple potential remedies and Disney could end up having to pay out significant damages.

That all depends on the specific terms themselves, though. Disney could have included a clause that the terms were subject to change etc. but for this kind of exclusivity I would imagine the signatories would be aware of such a clause.

As an aside, it sounds more like joining a nice country club (i.e. money alone isn't enough to get you in) than something like the DVC.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I just highly doubt Disney didn’t include a clause where terms are subject to change. Disney isn’t having them sign a contract for their benefit, but for Disney’s so that Disney can kick people out if they start selling club access like that guy in California was doing, that’s why there is an interview process.

UNCgolf

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I just highly doubt Disney didn’t include a clause where terms are subject to change. Disney isn’t having them sign a contract for their benefit, but for Disney’s so that Disney can kick people out if they start selling club access like that guy in California was doing, that’s why there is an interview process.

I'd love to read the contract myself.

Even with a clause like that, though, it typically doesn't mean they actually can just change anything they want. With exclusivity being part of the deal, it wouldn't be too hard to bring multiple causes of action against Disney if they suddenly opened it up to a huge number of people.

Benjamin_Nicholas

If Disney changed the terms and everyone signed the same contract, there would be multiple potential remedies and Disney could end up having to pay out significant damages.

That all depends on the specific terms themselves, though. Disney could have included a clause that the terms were subject to change etc. but for this kind of exclusivity I would imagine the signatories would be aware of such a clause.

As an aside, it sounds more like joining a nice country club (i.e. money alone isn't enough to get you in) than something like the DVC.

Also, think about the membership pool of 33 at present: Some highly wealthy, powerful and intelligent folks. There are several owners in Golden Oak- and also members of 33- who are billionaires with the legal teams to match.

If Disney pulled a fast one, they would have a true storm on their hands.

UNCgolf

Also, think about the membership pool of 33 at present: Some highly wealthy, powerful and intelligent folks. There are several owners in Golden Oak- and also members of 33- who are billionaires with the legal teams to match.

If Disney pulled a fast one, they would have a true ****storm on their hands.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that -- Disney likely wouldn't want to anger some of those people even if the money isn't a big deal to them.

But I decided to stick with the legal aspect since Disney would probably be open to a lawsuit that could cost them even if none of the people involved were important or powerful in any way. Of course I'm just speculating since I haven't seen the contracts myself.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that -- Disney likely wouldn't want to anger some of those people even if the money isn't a big deal to them.

But I decided to stick with the legal aspect since Disney would probably be open to a lawsuit that could cost them even if none of the people involved were important or powerful in any way. Of course I'm just speculating since I haven't seen the contracts myself.

I also really don’t think Disney would change it that drastically... they will do what they do best. Lower the value, raise the fees, and increase the capacity but still keep people satisfied enough.

TrainsOfDisney

Is 20% off meals a make-or-break issue for you for whether to sign up for a club that costs tens of thousands of dollars every year?

That was a real question though... California gets a dining discount in the park don’t they? I know they used to, I bought the premier pass in Disneyland right after it came out and several cms would try to ring it up as club 33 when I showed them my card because they didn’t know what it was.

That was like 10 years ago though so who knows what it’s like now.

I also noticed DL gets free upgrades and concierge level access at Disneyland hotels.

disney4life2008

Animal Kingdom location is a joke. An exclusive membership between lion King and avatar with a guard standing at the entrance. I'm surprised they didn't build it out towards the Savanah or AKL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom