Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Ah yes, hello again cranky old guy who feels the need to reply 7 times in a row instead of using the multi-quote feature of the forums.

How are the clouds today? What's the problem you're yelling at them about today?

Looks like ROTR is running pretty smoothly today at DLR at least.
I like this one

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't think capacity has anything to do with track or untracked. It's mainly a function of how many people you can load and unload in a given time.

Rise of the Resistance actually has more people per show (or per dispatch, if you want to call it that way) than Indy does. Indy is 12 people per show, while Rise is 16.
I meant a tracked ride is more reliable and does not breakdown as much plus Indy meets its capacity while Rise is not close to running the daily capacity it is capable of

Ismael Flores

Thanks, I made it special for you. 👨‍❤️‍👨

Too bad there's no grandpa option on that emote.
for future use maybe these might work
1 copy.jpg
2.jpg
3 copy.jpg

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They aren't selling Disneyland. They're selling pictures of Disneyland. Slight difference there. If Disney had a problem with what vloggers are doing, Disney would shut them down. Instead, Disney rewards them with freebies and early access to things like Rise.

Personally, vloggers are a matter of indifference to me. My comment was one of bewilderment that people get so worked over them.
I disagree. To me they are profiting off a park they have nothing to do with. They are guests and guests are allowed to film their own adventure.so they are not breaking any park rules in that regard. But what I take issue with is when lets say they have a video dedicated to The Haunted Mansion for example, while they may cover the ride's history and such and go on a ride through pov, by monitizing the video they are making money off the imagineers who worked hard on it to complete Walt's vision as a tribute to the boss. Many of whom are long gone. "Here is this ride many worked on so watch my video so I can get paid by you tube off the hard work of those dead imagineers and put money in my pocket by showing you someone else's dream. Oh and DisneyNut145 gives me a $20.00 super chat and says 'have a churro on me while I milk the dead and profit off Disney!' Fresh Cooked!!!" That's my problem. You wana film your trip for your own enjoyment? Fine. Have at it. When you turn it into "a job" and start to make money off it is where I draw the line.

Last edited:

Stevek

wait, I thought you had to be IN the park to board a group but watch this at 2:30.

I need to say though that they did enter Disneyland but just left right after. And then boarded the group outside. I'm sure it's easier that way with better connection.

I read multiple people discussing how they went in to the park (they are now "officially" in Disneyland) and then went to the Grand Californian, sat by the fire and waited there until 8am to get their boarding pass. Really no need to physically be in the park, you just have to have had your ticket/pass register that you entered the park.

BubbaQuest

This makes sense to me. The app doesn’t care where you are, as long as your ticket has been scanned.

My only concern is APs stopping by at turnstile open, leave, check in at work, and then only return if they get a boarding group that works for them. Potentially could be a good thing as empty boarding groups would move faster during the day, but unfortunately standby groups still have to wait until *all* boarding groups are done.

I like the idea of letting multi-day guests attempt to check in first. At least it feels like the occasional visitor might get a chance.

Darkbeer1

I read multiple people discussing how they went in to the park (they are now "officially" in Disneyland) and then went to the Grand Californian, sat by the fire and waited there until 8am to get their boarding pass. Really no need to physically be in the park, you just have to have had your ticket/pass register that you entered the park.

Some good news for Disney Hotel Guests.

So get your whole family/group to get up and into the park as quickly as possible, then head off to breakfast. At opening, someone attempts to get a BG. Now you know how to plan your day. Head to DCA, take a nap, go to GardenWalk and Flightdeck, head back to DL, etc.

disneygeek90

wait, I thought you had to be IN the park to board a group but watch this at 2:30.

I need to say though that they did enter Disneyland but just left right after. And then boarded the group outside. I'm sure it's easier that way with better connection.

I assumed you could do this but hadn't seen anyone risk it. People are confusing the phrase "in the park" as some sort of GPS tracking on the app when it actually just means "your ticket has been scanned in for the day." Good to know!

Last edited:

TP2000

There's a part of me that wishes that the boarding system would prioritize passes as follows during this first month:

1. Hotel Guests
2. Day/Multi-Day Tickets
3. Passholders

I'm guessing they could easily build the system to recognize tickets based on these purchase categories.

Sure, that's probably how it should work for this. But they obviously can't because the ride has such incredibly low capacity even when it's working.

There are only 2,400 Disneyland hotel rooms, but assuming a busy weekend when they are at near capacity (often) and a conservative 2 people per room on average (probably closer to 2.5 or 3 with kids and bunkbeds, etc. but let's just go with 2) that gets you... 4,800 people automatically eligible for Boarding Groups before the park even opens. That's over half the BG's they have to give out on an 8am to Midnight day.

Then start adding the tens of thousands on multi-day tickets, the tens of thousands on day tickets, all staying in the 25,000 hotel rooms in the Anaheim Resort District or driving in to the 22,000 parking spaces the Resort uses for theme parks, and that's before you even touch Annual Passholders.

In short, Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn barely has the daily capacity to handle the Disney Hotel Guests, let alone the official Good Neighbor Hotel Guests.

It's a situation where they are basically running a new E Ticket that has the hourly capacity of the Canoes or the Teacups and they are trying to just prevent a riot on Main Street USA over it.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
My only concern is APs stopping by at turnstile open, leave, check in at work, and then only return if they get a boarding group that works for them.
If I end up at the Anaheim Convention Center soon I may buy a 1 day ticket and do this, and keep extending the ticket 1 day at a time if I don’t get a BG. We always get a 1 hour break...

TP2000

Looks like the ride broke down at about 4:45pm today at Boarding Group 85, and it's still closed heading towards 6pm.

Disneyland closes at 9pm tonight, so I wonder if they'll even bother with an attempt to reopen since they would probably have stopped calling Boarding Groups and closed the ride at 7pm anyway?

Mickeyboof

Looks like the ride broke down at about 4:45pm today at Boarding Group 85, and it's still closed heading towards 6pm.

Disneyland closes at 9pm tonight, so I wonder if they'll even bother with an attempt to reopen since they would probably have stopped calling Boarding Groups and closed the ride at 7pm anyway?

Am I crazy, or has the breakdown been averaging the same afternoon slot each day?

I would load the graph, but I’m between cues of a very loud musical and I just don’t have the time!

Curious Constance

I agree with this. It is a big problem that you can view the video of a ride online without paying, especially if someone profits from it. This also ruins the experience for people who would rather watch a video than see it in real life.

I further think it's terrible people can play through entire video games and post it online, and also profit off it. Game designers spent years on these games yet people are using it for their own monetary gain while ruining the surprise and the experience of playing it on your own.
Do you know how many video games I’ve purchased because my son saw a video of someone playing it online and wanted it? Video game companies send their games to these people hoping they will like them and advertise them to the world for free. One particular YouTube channel he watches had their faces put on a virtual poster and hung up in the bedroom of a video game. They were so thankful that the channel basically launched their game into popularity.

Curious Constance

Reading MiceChat’s tips for obtaining a boarding pass makes me exhausted.

Don’t arrive too early: Anything before 6:30am is too early. There is no guaranteed parking before that time, and arriving early doesn’t help your chances of getting a boarding pass anyway. All you need to do is arrive before the official opening time of the park (8am this past weekend).
  • Move away from the crowds: Once the ropes have been dropped around the hub, try to make your way into the park and away from others before the boarding groups unlock at park opening. We found it easier to get into the “boarding group” section of the app when you are not sharing wi-fi access points with other guests. Many will stay on Main Street and not move around, but doing so could cause them to be sharing an overloaded wi-fi access point and might slow down their connection. We secured boarding passes on both Friday and Saturday while standing on the parade route between Tea Cups and Matterhorn Bobsleds.
  • Check your internet speed: Connect to the Disneyland park wifi and run a speed test on the device you will be using to get a boarding pass. After, disconnect from the wi-fi and run a speed test on your cellular connection (download a speed test app or try Speedtest.net). On Friday we used the Wi-fi and got boarding group 76, while on Saturday we used cellular and got boarding group 7. There is a good chance that it was just random luck, but we can’t ignore that the faster connection speed came alongside a much lower boarding group on the second attempt. We’ll keep experimenting, please let us know your experience as well.
  • Find a clock that counts down seconds: At 7:59 we had the app open to the boarding group page, and a second device had a clock counting down with a “seconds” hand showing. When the time was 7:59:59, we hit the refresh button and ensured that the app was mid-refresh when the clock struck 8am. We then hit the “join boarding group” button and had success. Every second counts, literally.
  • Have your group ready: This is incredibly important. If you want your entire party to be in the same boarding group, only allow one person in your party to arrange your spot. If multiple members of your group all attempt to get a boarding pass, they will most likely end up in different groups! Along those lines, make sure that all members of your party are already linked to the account of the person who is organizing the boarding group!
😰

SSG

Do you know how many video games I’ve purchased because my son saw a video of someone playing it online and wanted it? Video game companies send their games to these people hoping they will like them and advertise them to the world for free. One particular YouTube channel he watches had their faces put on a virtual poster and hung up in the bedroom of a video game. They were so thankful that the channel basically launched their game into popularity.
If only there was a way to not see attraction ride throughs, gamer videos and the like. I curse corporate America for making us watch these things.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Nothing to see here. Just APs who will be back in the next few days to try again. And after they do ride it, ROTR will become another attraction in their rotation... after this whole boarding group thing goes away and it’s easier to get on.

TP2000

Am I crazy, or has the breakdown been averaging the same afternoon slot each day?

You aren't crazy, it breaks down at the same time in late afternoon every day.

But that's because the First Order officers speak with an upper-middle class English accent so they have High Tea in the hangar bay of their Star Destroyer every afternoon at 4:30 and a bunch of cheesy tourists in sweatshirts would ruin it.

It's a cultural thing.

DrAlice

In fact, I’d be curious to know who here (sub-forum regulars) has been consistently visiting Disneyland since babyhood.
My first visit was when I was 4 years old. I've never had an annual pass and have only fairly recently been lucky enough to be able to visit the parks "regularly" (a trip every year or two). And by recently, I mean now that I'm middle aged with a kid. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom