News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

KikoKea

Double post but different news.
That one section of West is still standing as of today. It seems odd they'd leave it up after everything around it has been removed. Is there something unique about this section?
innoventions-west-demolition-world-celebration-epcot-01192020-3.jpg

innoventions-demolition-world-celebration-epcot-01192020-1.jpg

innoventions-demolition-world-celebration-epcot-01192020-09.jpg

Maybe they will incorporate it into the new Festival Center? A nod to the old CC?

RSoxNo1

At the very least, can we get someone to clean the glass? It looks terrible.
Yes it was a dreary day but you can see the obvious dirt/grime streaks on the left of the picture:
RLs3xVd.jpg

The dirt is quite visible from the outside as well, mainly from the top of each triangle panel:
78z7HLY.jpg

I don't have a recent daylight picture.

This is from 10/1/2019
IMG_1485.JPG

trainplane3

Funnily enough I was up there on 10/1 around 530pm and brought a few forum members here up too. One of them commented something like "looks like they haven't power washed it in a while". I think @Figments Friend said it.

In clear sunlight, it doesn't look too bad. When you get close to a lower section of window, it gets pretty noticeable. I'll try to get pictures when I'm back down in a few weeks if I remember.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Gateway Gifts reopened and with it, some new concrete design:
spaceship-earth-walkway-gateway-gifts-01192020-4.jpg

spaceship-earth-walkway-gateway-gifts-01192020-1.jpg

As noted previously (in the Rosewalk Widening thread, I think?), it looks like they're removing more of the original pink pavement and replacing it with a light tan color. This also matches the color they've used in the new main entrance plaza.

Given the locations we've seen so far, it's safe to assume that the entire central spine will have the new tan sidewalks, if not all of Future World as well. With the challenges of replacing this much pavement in an active theme park, it will likely take years to complete the entire patchwork process from beginning to end, as various other projects are undertaken along the way.

While this change isn't an inherently bad thing (though the lighter color is more prone to stains and visible wear, as seen in MK's hub), it is a clear departure from one of Epcot's few park-wide unifying design elements, and one that has become quietly iconic and instantly recognizable over the years. The reasoning for the original color choice is now obsolete (color quality on Kodak film), but it was a careful decision nevertheless, and one that surely influenced other color pallets throughout the park. Given the expense and complex logistics of such a massive undertaking, I can only hope that the new color was chosen with similar care, and will similarly serve to unify a park full of seemingly-disparate ideas.

Interestingly, it appears that they're leaving the curb around the planter as the original color. Perhaps this will be replaced during a future phase, when they have more time to replace the guardrail, or perhaps this will be another example of modern WDI getting a big idea and overlooking some of the details required to fully complete it.

Ultimately, time will tell how this eventually plays out, but it's worth keeping an eye on in the background of all these other projects.

Rich Brownn

As noted previously (in the Rosewalk Widening thread, I think?), it looks like they're removing more of the original pink pavement and replacing it with a light tan color. This also matches the color they've used in the new main entrance plaza.

Given the locations we've seen so far, it's safe to assume that the entire central spine will have the new tan sidewalks, if not all of Future World as well. With the challenges of replacing this much pavement in an active theme park, it will likely take years to complete the entire patchwork process from beginning to end, as various other projects are undertaken along the way.

While this change isn't an inherently bad thing (though the lighter color is more prone to stains and visible wear, as seen in MK's hub), it is a clear departure from one of Epcot's few park-wide unifying design elements, and one that has become quietly iconic and instantly recognizable over the years. The reasoning for the original color choice is now obsolete (color quality on Kodak film), but it was a careful decision nevertheless, and one that surely influenced other color pallets throughout the park. Given the expense and complex logistics of such a massive undertaking, I can only hope that the new color was chosen with similar care, and will similarly serve to unify a park full of seemingly-disparate ideas.

Interestingly, it appears that they're leaving the curb around the planter as the original color. Perhaps this will be replaced during a future phase, when they have more time to replace the guardrail, or perhaps this will be another example of modern WDI getting a big idea and overlooking some of the details required to fully complete it.

Ultimately, time will tell how this eventually plays out, but it's worth keeping an eye on in the background of all these other projects.
Also the redder the concrete, the greener the grass looks (optical illusion)

RSoxNo1

Funnily enough I was up there on 10/1 around 530pm and brought a few forum members here up too. One of them commented something like "looks like they haven't power washed it in a while". I think @Figments Friend said it.

In clear sunlight, it doesn't look too bad. When you get close to a lower section of window, it gets pretty noticeable. I'll try to get pictures when I'm back down in a few weeks if I remember.
I took this picture of bird poop on the underside of one of the triangles. In the imagination pavilion, bird poop defies gravity.
IMG_7337.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even though @Truk777 is our main guy for maps imagery (Nearmap), Google updated Earth about 2 weeks ago (I think?). Images are dated 10/10/19.
View attachment 442572

That's a good find!

Apparently, those are images from Maxar Technologies taken 10/2019. They are newer, but aren't as high a resolution as NearMap or Google.

Google usually updates their map in January (and it can take one to three months to finally appear on Google Earth or Google Maps).

trainplane3

That's a good find!

Apparently, those are images from Maxar Technologies taken 10/2019. They are newer, but aren't as high a resolution as NearMap or Google.

Google usually updates their map in January (and it can take one to three months to finally appear on Google Earth or Google Maps).
I actually did catch they were from a third party but still figured it would be worth sharing since I'm sure people like to look for the latest free maps updates. And 100% agreed, they aren't great quality but they work for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom