The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

Disneyland has brought back the Walt-era popcorn boxes:

4F696191-8B8A-4173-BBB1-B8781A9440C5.jpeg

4BAA91C1-F29B-4916-A6F0-22F692DA516A.jpeg

26A0BCF7-044D-49F1-A1CD-65FB07D58B5C.jpeg

Of course these come back AFTER my visit. I want one.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Last edited:

Rich T

Random popcorn-related thought: Anyone else here remember those classic clear-wrapped stale bricks of sweetened pink popcorn that were always sold at circuses and ice shows? Does that item still exist? (I haven’t been to an arena show in ages).
(Update) According to a feature story:
1) The company went under recently
2) It was mainly a SF Bay Area thing
3) Mainly remembered by people over 60 (Sigh)
DCD34074-ECBA-4AB9-864A-2E32F4A7A243.jpeg

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Not Disneyland related, but I just found out this was a thing:

I've been going through a lot of 90s Vegas videos and there is so much stuff that's now gone. Not just MGM Grand Adventures theme park, but the Wizard of Oz display with AAs, the Pirate show in front of Treasure Island (now just a mall in front of "TI"), the boat ride through Luxor and its cheesy simulator ride and 3D show. None of it compares to Disney, but I love how hard they tried and just the fun of it all. At least the Forum Shops still have its AA/water/fire show.

Now all the themed Vegas hotels are just "modern" and the focus is more on shopping than anything else.

brb1006

I've been going through a lot of 90s Vegas videos and there is so much stuff that's now gone. Not just MGM Grand Adventures theme park, but the Wizard of Oz display with AAs, the Pirate show in front of Treasure Island (now just a mall in front of "TI"), the boat ride through Luxor and its cheesy simulator ride and 3D show. None of it compares to Disney, but I love how hard they tried and just the fun of it all. At least the Forum Shops still have its AA/water/fire show.

Now all the themed Vegas hotels are just "modern" and the focus is more on shopping than anything else.

Here's footage of the Merlin show.

solidyne

I did that Luxor boat ride, hoping it was like Rio del Tiempo or Maelstrom. It wasn't.

Darkbeer1

I did that Luxor boat ride, hoping it was like Rio del Tiempo or Maelstrom. It wasn't.

Oh my gosh, what a Hot Mess the Luxor was when it first opened. I was invited to come and give them input when they realized what they ended up with, even before it opened. (The trilogy and boat ride)

And there wasn't much they could do to modify things without major surjery, which happened quickly due to the responses of the guests.

Practical Pig

Just popping in to say that, while rewatching the D+ The Mandalorian , I think that this, condensed into a movie timespan, or something like it that also relied on essential storytelling based in emotion over spectacle, yet supported with just enough spectacle, is the way Disney should have approached their reboot of the film franchise. It feels far closer to Star Wars roots than those over-inflated attempts.

This small screen endeavor is far better than the Disney tentpole SW films.

Darkbeer1

Kiwiduck

I randomly saw a snippet of that on YouTube the other day while researching things to do in Las Vegas. - I read that the boat would take you to the elevators after you checked in which sounds like the best thing ever. I would love to have experienced that but sounds like I didn't miss much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom