Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

MJL92

The intersection of circumstances at which Rise sits with regards to opening really doesn't apply to any other attraction.

You nailed it right here. I can't imagine any of the new attractions coming in the next 2 years will be as hyped by Disney as this one was. Not that they won't be better, but there was a special buzz about RotR regarding it's immersion, scale, and length that I can't see happening for a couple of nice copy-paste attractions, and an indoor coaster. Plus the coasters automatically knock out a few demographics. Throw in what we know about the reliability of the ride, and imagine the nightmare of a constantly dumping 2/3+ hour queue.

UNCgolf

You know Toy Story Mania only opened in 2008? So the ride isn't even 12 years old and the Wii game is based on the ride and came out afterwards.

Yes the ride is basically a video game, but I don't have a game that do what the ride offers, ie theatre quality 3D.

There are also versions of the ride at other theme parks, such as Maus au Chocolat at Phantasialand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus_au_Chocolat) that is one of the most popular attractions in the park.
Its hardly an out-dated attraction.

To you. To me, it's a horribly outdated, incredibly boring ride and I can play far more interesting games on an iPhone. I realize it's a minority opinion. I'm glad you and so many other people enjoy it. I just cannot understand why.

I'm not surprised there are copycat versions of it in other parks -- it's a very simple ride and thus very easy to copy. And since people enjoy it, why wouldn't they copy it? If Flight of Passage was cheap and easy to copy, you'd see similar rides popping up everywhere as well.

Last edited:

Hawg G

You nailed it right here. I can't imagine any of the new attractions coming in the next 2 years will be as hyped by Disney as this one was. Not that they won't be better, but there was a special buzz about RotR regarding it's immersion, scale, and length that I can't see happening for a couple of nice copy-paste attractions, and an indoor coaster. Plus the coasters automatically knock out a few demographics. Throw in what we know about the reliability of the ride, and imagine the nightmare of a constantly dumping 2/3+ hour queue.

It doesn't matter. All the parks are overcrowded, and severely lacking top tier rides, especially brand new ones. If you don't think this exact same thing would happen for TRON, a very basic, minimally themed roller coaster, you're crazy. You essentially can't get a Dwarf Hill FP+ without staying on site. How long has that ride been open? I'd guess if it had boarding passes, they'd be gone in single digit minutes every day. Maybe a half hour due to it's fairly dependable operations. And again, that's for like a 5 year old ride.

yensidtlaw1969

Not to mention the fact that Rise was given a hard and aggressive opening date from which they would not budge, to the extent that the first meaningful riders at DHS were the park-going public. That is next to unheard of for any attraction larger than a Dumbo. The optics that Rise was facing do not apply to Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians, TRON . . . they will each assuredly test with cast and guests alike before they open to the public, especially considering only Runaway Railway has yet had an opening date announced (and that they have already publicly moved it at least once).

But yes, the hype train was real, and was especially important to navigate after the botched launches of Galaxy's Edge on BOTH coasts. You have to wonder how it got screwed up so bad, but Rise was then expected to recover that ground for a 2 Billion Dollar investment that wasn't connecting with guests despite being based on one of Disney's largest cash cows. No other attraction has so, so much riding on it, and I'd agree that none of them have enough that they need boarding groups implemented.

yensidtlaw1969

No, AK needs a WHOLE NEW RIDE. Top 10 park attendance in the world, and it has, what, 5 big rides some shows and movies, and a safari?
It's gotta be fair enough to count Kilimanjaro Safaris as a big ride . . . but your point stands. I remember being annoyed when Soarin' and Toy Story Mania got their capacities bumped instead of putting that money towards actual new attractions. FoP doesn't accommodate its demand sufficiently, but I'd rather see them flesh out the park's attraction menu than build more theaters.

It still stuns me that DHS saw so much money invested in the past decade and basically didn't net any capacity for it. It somehow almost feels like there's less to do than there was before, despite the quality of some experiences being higher. And I do only mean some.

Parker in NYC

I think I mentioned this in a Rise of the Resistance thread, but I can't explain how put off I'd be if Disney opens this ride with the Boarding Group system.

The intersection of circumstances at which Rise sits with regards to opening really doesn't apply to any other attraction. No matter how convenient the Boarding Group system seems to be for Rise, it's nowhere near necessary for Runaway Railway and we shouldn't be encouraging Disney to make a habit of using this system. The idea of using it here, at Ratatouille, and at Guardians (and, presumably then, TRON), as has already been hinted at on these boards, is tremendous and would completely change the WDW-going experience.

The equity that has already been chipped away at by My Disney Experience would suffer a devastating blow - think of having to get up at 6AM every day of your trip just for the chance to get on WDW's newest rides. How is that an appealing sentiment? This is without any indication yet of how long Boarding Groups will be enacted for Rise, and therefore no idea how long they would choose to enact Boarding Groups for any/every other new attraction.

I recall some poster(s?) saying back at opening that the system wouldn't even last this long, and yet here we are with no sign of when they will simply open the line to guests. At this point I can't imagine it will be soon, since they seem to be happy with the way it's working out over at Rise despite the ride's lack of reliability. Wasn't that at least part of the point? To be able to dump the line when the ride goes down while affecting a minimal amount of guests? If every new ride needs that then there's a greater issue at hand.

The bonus for Disney is that it gets guests out of a 10hr queue and back into the parks where they'll actually be spending money . . . which was also the point of Fastpass, but at least you didn't have to wake up before dawn every day to use it.

All this is said by someone who was able to get on Rise twice this week at DHS by waking up early for the virtual queue and was very, very pleased with the attraction. The system was nice enough and it did work, but if every new ride starts using this I shudder to think of what it will turn WDW into. It's fine as a unique exception to the rule, and Rise is exceptional enough - on many fronts - to warrant it. But let's not do Disney the favor of letting them think this could or should be the way they open every new major attraction. That would be such an ugly turn for the resort.

I'm all for Disney looking at ways to reduce the amount of time guests spend in line, but this ain't it. Let this be a one and done for Rise of the Resistance, and let's hope it's done with sooner rather than later.

I can no longer recommend WDW at work to folks who have never been. I can no longer defend the insanity involved in planning and taking... er, executing a vacation there. Money isn’t the concern, it’s everything else. I still go, I’m addicted. But if someone asks why I keep going, I say I’ve got decades of experience and a great deal of Mickey Mousekemasochism.

UNCgolf

It's gotta be fair enough to count Kilimanjaro Safaris as a big ride . . . but your point stands. I remember being annoyed when Soarin' and Toy Story Mania got their capacities bumped instead of putting that money towards actual new attractions. FoP doesn't accommodate its demand sufficiently, but I'd rather see them flesh out the park's attraction menu than build more theaters.

It still stuns me that DHS saw so much money invested in the past decade and basically didn't net any capacity for it. It somehow almost feels like there's less to do than there was before, despite the quality of some experiences being higher. And I do only mean some.

Yeah, the Kiliminjaro Safari should definitely count as a major ride. It's the best thing at Animal Kingdom (Flight of Passage is amazing, Expedition Everest is great... Safari is better than both) and maybe the best in the whole resort.

yensidtlaw1969

I can no longer recommend WDW at work to folks who have never been. I can no longer defend the insanity involved in planning and taking... er, executing a vacation there. Money isn’t the concern, it’s everything else. I still go, I’m addicted. But if someone asks why I keep going, I say I’ve got decades of experience and a great deal of Mickey Mousekemasochism.
I formally nominate Mousekemasochism as an early entry for the WDWMagic Word of the Decade Award. There's time yet, but I suspect in 2029 we'll still see it in the running.

People I know in the real world turn to me for advice with their WDW Trip planning given my long history of relatively frequent visiting, and at this point the least I feel right doing is sitting down with them and actually helping them plan the trip. These days WDW planning isn't kind to folks who have never been before or haven't been in a while, and even being someone with enough knowledge to make it work doesn't make me glad for it. To me THAT'S a bigger problem than the lines being too long. Guests have ALWAYS come despite lines being long, but they've spent the money by that point - the further up in the guest experience that you push the problems the more likely you are to see people turn away. Right now you definitely have people overwhelmed by their trips 60 days before they even get there.

If the trip planning gets worse you're gonna have more people giving up before they even start. Which works with the current notion that you can account for fewer people just by charging more to the people who are coming . . . until it doesn't. By which point it will be haaaard to win back that lost goodwill.

I do agree that the length of lines should be addressed, and that waiting 20-30 minutes to get on Rise of the Resistance felt great . . . but only after I'd blocked out the fact that I had to get up at 5:15 that morning for the privilege. It ain't an elegant solution to any problem but the unique ones Rise has. And hopefully they will go away soon. At which point long lines will still be ripe for another sort of solution. May I recommend that it be one that actually puts the guests first, Disney?

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

I formally nominate Mousekemasochism as an early entry for the WDWMagic Word of the Decade Award. There's time yet, but I suspect in 2029 we'll still see it in the running.

People I know in the real world turn to me for advice with their WDW Trip planning given my long history of relatively frequent visiting, and at this point the least I feel right doing is sitting down with them and actually helping them plan the trip. These days WDW planning isn't kind to folks who have never been before or haven't been in a while, and even being someone with enough knowledge to make it work doesn't make me glad for it. To me THAT'S a bigger problem than the lines being too long. Guests have ALWAYS come despite lines being long, but they've spent the money by that point - the further up in the guest experience that you push the problems the more likely you are to see people turn away. Right now you definitely have people overwhelmed by their trips 60 days before they even get there.

If the trip planning gets worse you're gonna have more people giving up before they even start. Which works with the current notion that you can account for fewer people just by charging more to the people who are coming . . . until it doesn't. By which point it will be haaaard to win back that lost goodwill.

I do agree that the length of lines should be addressed, and that waiting 20-30 minutes to get on Rise of the Resistance felt great . . . but only after I'd blocked out the fact that I had to get up at 5:15 that morning for the privilege. It ain't an elegant solution to any problem but the unique ones Rise has. And hopefully they will go away soon. At which point long lines will still be ripe for another sort of solution. May I recommend that it be one that actually puts the guests first, Disney?

All of this (and on a personal note, thanks)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom