The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

...only to realize they were being scrutinized by a dozen appalled feral cats?
giphy.gif

socalifornian

One of the comments:

>>Oh man I’ll have to go back 15 years or so in my memory.

Easy ones I do remember was panel with microphone and telephone. Used microphone to tell guests mainly to sit down and keep hands in boat while in operation. Bottom buttons that are green were used to talk to certain sections of the ride so didn’t interrupt everyone. One of the buttons was a all ride mainly used when starting up the ride. Had to make calls every 5 minutes for 20 minutes or so through whole ride that would be starting it up.

Buttons above intercom button were just system indicators letting you know things are running correctly.

Those two keys in center are used to turn it on. One would be used on either side of that center switch.

Press buttons on far left panel were standard stops buttons. Had separate ones for each drop. So if boat was coming up to any drop could stop the boat before going down. Also emergency buttons to shut down entire ride.

Phone was mainly used to talk to dispatcher sending boats. Could also reach cast member outside at bridge and other phones scattered about the ride if evacuation. Also this is one of the hardest rides ever to evacuate.

Black monitor was a log file like your computer uses. Any errors or sensors problems that weren’t a big issue was logged so engineers would see at night when going over everything.

This is best I can remember going back that far

Phroobar

One of the comments:

Easy ones I do remember was panel with microphone and telephone. Used microphone to tell guests mainly to sit down and keep hands in boat while in operation. Bottom buttons that are green were used to talk to certain sections of the ride so didn’t interrupt everyone. One of the buttons was a all ride mainly used when starting up the ride. Had to make calls every 5 minutes for 20 minutes or so through whole ride that would be starting it up.

Buttons above intercom button were just system indicators letting you know things are running correctly.

Those two keys in center are used to turn it on. One would be used on either side of that center switch.

Press buttons on far left panel were standard stops buttons. Had separate ones for each drop. So if boat was coming up to any drop could stop the boat before going down. Also emergency buttons to shut down entire ride.

Phone was mainly used to talk to dispatcher sending boats. Could also reach cast member outside at bridge and other phones scattered about the ride if evacuation. Also this is one of the hardest rides ever to evacuate.

Black monitor was a log file like your computer uses. Any errors or sensors problems that weren’t a big issue was logged so engineers would see at night when going over everything.

Are you sure the two keys weren't for launching the missiles?

images

smooch

I'm all moved out of Anaheim after completing the Disney College Program. What a spectacular experience!

There were so many high points throughout- Space Mountain with the lights on (after park close, no line, got on 8 times), backstage Soarin' tour, midnight preview of A Christmas Fantasy Parade, backstage Hyperion tour, Walt's apartment tour, riding Rise of the Resistance during the unannounced previews a few weeks back (after 4 tries). They cancelled the Indy tour on us- which was probably the biggest let down of the program. I could go on, but so much happened during the program it's hard to think of everything.

We had weekly seminars at TDA where leaders from around the resort would speak on a variety of topics- from marketing to career preparation to service to managing. These were mostly surface level, but occasionally some interesting bits of information would be shared that made it worth it. Not to mention, seeing the demolition behind Toontown first hand was really something.

And that's ignoring all of the wonderful friends I made from all over the country during the program (we were even featured on the DCP Instagram a few times, so I'm basically famous :cool:). Meeting long time CM's from around the resort was also amazing- the amount of stories they have and are anxious to share is really something. It's such a wonderful environment (though not without its flaws- the SodexoMagic operated employee cafeterias are awful and incredibly overpriced).

The 40% off merchandise was dangerous- I'm scared to add up how much all of the purchases I made cost me.

My final park visit count was 71 (since August), being able to just drive on over to the park at the end of a long day and ride a few rides, or just enjoy the scenery and atmosphere was amazing, and a huge contrast from my open to close 'do or die' type trips I used to take.

Having to go back to the real world- finding a job, starting up full time classes again, and not having daily access to Disneyland- has been a bit of a shock, but I'm excited to finish up my degree in the next couple semesters and (hopefully) enter themed entertainment industry in some capacity.

My friend did the DCP in Spring 2019 in WDW and I am applying for the Fall 2020 DCP programs in either WDW or DLR (probably would get WDW because there are so many more positions) because I am going to have a semester between finishing up at community college and starting at a four year to finish my degree. I am glad you got to do so many cool things and have a good time, I have heard from my friend how tiring but rewarding the program can be. She also talked a lot about how weird it was to adjust back to normal life, especially doing the WDW program where she literally lived in the bubble for months. I applied once before but didn't get past the phone interview so I am hoping to maybe practice with my friend and give it another go this month whenever applications open. I didn't realize they did things like all the tours, the Walt's Apartment Tour and Soarin' Tour sound very interesting.

SuddenStorm

My friend did the DCP in Spring 2019 in WDW and I am applying for the Fall 2020 DCP programs in either WDW or DLR (probably would get WDW because there are so many more positions) because I am going to have a semester between finishing up at community college and starting at a four year to finish my degree. I am glad you got to do so many cool things and have a good time, I have heard from my friend how tiring but rewarding the program can be. She also talked a lot about how weird it was to adjust back to normal life, especially doing the WDW program where she literally lived in the bubble for months. I applied once before but didn't get past the phone interview so I am hoping to maybe practice with my friend and give it another go this month whenever applications open. I didn't realize they did things like all the tours, the Walt's Apartment Tour and Soarin' Tour sound very interesting.

If you have any questions about the application process or what the Disneyland DCP is like, feel free to pm me. Disneyland is a touch harder to get into than WDW- the public number is about 30,000 applications with only 400 accepted. But that's been the number for years so who knows what it really is.

I forgot to add- we also toured the Burbank lot, and there was a lottery to tour Radiator Springs Racers (I didn't get it). For our mid program celebration, they kept Cars Land open for us a few hours after DCA closed, with free churros, soft serve, popcorn, and soda as well as DJ, and Radiator Springs Racers (I rode it 8 times that night, and could have ridden it way more).

I will say, it's definitely what you make of it- and with so much variability between work locations and roles, no two programs are the same. Many people did not enjoy their program for a variety of reasons- both personal and related to the program itself. Some people were Jungle Cruise Skippers, while others were working QSFB in Pixar Pier. I was not a fan of my role or location, but made the best of it and made some great friends outside the DCP at my location, as well as many many friends inside the DCP. It's amazing to be connected with so many people from all over the country. I met some people who struggled living away from home, and quite a few people self termed and went home early. Disney also enforces strict rules on when guests can be in the building, as well as underrage drinking- quite a few people got termed for these violations.

There's a wide variety of people that do the program- I can say without a doubt I cared and knew more about Disneyland and its history than everyone else I met in the program (with the exception of maybe one or two people). This actually took me by surprise- I was half expecting to meet 400 other SuddenStorms, but that was naive of me. It's actually quite interesting to go to Disneyland with so many different people who all look at the place completely different, and you quickly learn to keep your mouth shut when your group starts talking Disneyland rumors since they're often straight out of a Fab Fluff Piece.

On the program management side of things, there's a lot of corporate drama among those that run the program, and there's frequent turnover- so the program itself evolves and changes year to year.

If you're a Disneyland fan first and foremost, shoot for the DLR program- if only because Property Control has so many gems that are worth acquiring if you're there at the right time that you can't get elsewhere.

If you're gonna do it- you need a clear reason why. I had a set of goals I set for myself at the start of the program- both personal and professional- that defined why I was there... and I achieved each of them, and in some cases went far beyond what I expected. Other people treated it as a 5 month vacation. Some were using it to get a Professional Internship within the company. Some wanted to be closer to the Studios to try and get into animation. Some people honestly didn't like Disney or Disneyland, and quickly became frustrated and bitter living there, but honestly I was just confused why they were there to begin with.

mickEblu

Original Poster

One of the comments:

Which button turns off the new Redhead?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom