News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

gustaftp

If IdF was so great and truly could stand the test of time and takes in more numbers than the BATB sing along show, then you can come back to me. But I’m calling it out now that the new BATB Sing along will be immensely more popular.

I’d also like to clarify that IdF is boring, but I ALSO don’t care for the BATB replacement idea. But since I didnt care beforehand, I also don’t care what goes in it’s place.
The fact that Disney didn't see fit to replace it for decades -- when pretty much everything else in the park has been changed and swapped over the years -- says you're wrong.

If IdF is boring, then so is Versailles, the French Riviera, skiing in the Alps, riding high speed trains, going to the top of the Tour D'Eiffel, eating pastries, and all the other depictions of French life portrayed in the film.

Or, maybe you're just a boring person.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

Proof, please.

Seems to have withstood the test of time for DECADES. It was the reason middle-school me decided to study French and continued with it for 7 years into University. I've taken multiple trips to France, made some close friends, and even got to live a lifelong dream of exploring the Catacombs earlier this year with my French friends who are also into urban exploration.

One thing I wonder - and I wondered it when Soarin projectors were going through an upgrade. Just based on the shape and size of the screens, neither Soarin nor IDF fit in HD or 4K formats. On screens that large, you would most certainly see pixels, and going to 4K would be a technical downgrade over what is there now. I'd assume that Disney has their own proprietary projection technology that far surpasses 4K and HD.
Soaring was IMAX HD (70mm horizontal at 48fps) so 4k was definitely a downgrade in terms of definition. However, the did upgrade to laser IMAX (which means blacks are really black, colors more accurate) and I have heard it uses HFR at 60fps (not sure about that but it does state it is high-frame rate so it could be anywhere from 48 to 120).
IDF as far as I know was 35mm so resolution would be lower. I don't know what kind of projection system they are using.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's true. BatB will be packed. IdF will play for near empty theaters. (Disregarding the drunks who really just needed to sit down a bit, i.e., half the theater)

It could possibly have been the reverse if EPCOT had been properly developed. If WDW had been differently developed. But as it stands, after by now 25 years of forever aiming lower at the cultural ladder the audience that would appreciate IdF I think is no longer even aware EPCOT exists. While the MK hordes will descend upon EPCOT like stampeding wildebeest and use it as their overflow park.

WDW guests expect a toon singalong, plus alcohol to sedate daddy. Nobody expects a visual tone poem in a remarkably sophisticated treasure trove of architecture and design. Both the parks and the audience have changed from the latter to the former, in an mutual race to the bottom. They both drag each other down.
At least your response makes sense.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
We needn't really argue about whether IdF is boring or not. It is certainly true that some people find it boring and some do not. My anecdotal experience suggests those numbers are about equal -- others will likely have different views.

Disney is certainly betting that the portion of people who like BatB is greater than the portion of people who like IdF. They will almost certainly be right for awhile, since BatB is new, and since it adds something more for little ones in World Showcase (much like the equally misplaced Frozen ride). Later, the schedule can be adjusted to have more IdF and less BatB if need be.

While I dislike the shoehorning of BatB into the pavilion, I applaud Disney for putting multiple different things in the same theater. It is unquestionably true that most showings IdF played to a theater not even close to full. That's inefficient use of capacity. Putting a second offering in the theater and showing both each day gives those who want to a reason to hit that theater twice in a day, increasing the use of the theater. I think Disney should do similar things with some of the other theaters that often wind up half-full -- just hopefully with offerings that better fit the theme.

WondersOfLife

The fact that Disney didn't see fit to replace it for decades -- when pretty much everything else in the park has been changed and swapped over the years -- says you're wrong.

If IdF is boring, then so is Versailles, the French Riviera, skiing in the Alps, riding high speed trains, going to the top of the Tour D'Eiffel, eating pastries, and all the other depictions of French life portrayed in the film.

Or, maybe you're just a boring person.
1). Disney also didn't/hasn't replaced Imagination, Ellen's Energy Adventure, and Stitch's Great Escape for SEEEVERAL years. So I'm guessing those attractions were genius as well.

2). IdF is boring. Comparing a travelogue film made in 1982 to actually visiting and experiencing the real thing is hilariously stupid.

3). That's me. Boring old 21 year old. Excuse me as I go watch Hall of Presidents 4 times in a row while hoping to get into the very next showing of The Enchanted Tiki Room.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We needn't really argue about whether IdF is boring or not. It is certainly true that some people find it boring and some do not. My anecdotal experience suggests those numbers are about equal -- others will likely have different views.

Disney is certainly betting that the portion of people who like BatB is greater than the portion of people who like IdF. They will almost certainly be right for awhile, since BatB is new, and since it adds something more for little ones in World Showcase (much like the equally misplaced Frozen ride). Later, the schedule can be adjusted to have more IdF and less BatB if need be.

While I dislike the shoehorning of BatB into the pavilion, I applaud Disney for putting multiple different things in the same theater. It is unquestionably true that most showings IdF played to a theater not even close to full. That's inefficient use of capacity. Putting a second offering in the theater and showing both each day gives those who want to a reason to hit that theater twice in a day, increasing the use of the theater. I think Disney should do similar things with some of the other theaters that often wind up half-full -- just hopefully with offerings that better fit the theme.

I am hoping they can eventually replace IdF with an updated film. It is time....

mm52200

I can also imagine Imagineering and creative designing and upgrading both films with the intent for them to be both run in the theatre.
Unfortunately I’m sure that operating schedule is determined by Ops locally and I can envision them having different mindset than Imagineering in regards to how often things should be shown or not.

gustaftp

IdF is boring. Comparing a travelogue film made in 1982 to actually visiting and experiencing the real thing is hilariously stupid.
Unlike the other WS films, there is very little about IdF that points to what year it was made. It didn't bow down to the trends of the day. You have to look pretty closely to notice a few people's glasses and cars aren't up-to-date. IdF avoided the problem that was present in films such as Norway with the green screen computers, etc. IdF was just as beautiful and artistic in 1982 as it is in 2020.

Saying something was made in a particular year doesn't really mean much. That's like saying the Mona Lisa is boring because it was painted in the early 1500s. Or that Notre Dame is architecturally dated and why would anyone want to go to that when they could go to the glass-paned post-modernist Crystal/Christ Cathedral instead.

You might as well say that something which was inspiring on Tuesday can't be inspiring on Thursday.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

In case anyone from Disney checks in on this thread, just one more post here to say I'm disappointed. Only ~4 showings before park close? At a tough time to get to it as well if you want to have a later dinner or stake out a good spot for HarmoniUS. I applauded them for keeping IDF and alternating the shows, but this is a pretty poor decision.

techgeek

Apparently IdF holds a Guinness World Record for ‘Longest running daily screening of a film in the same theatre’, owing to the fact that it has been running unedited since 1982. So there’s that.

I ran across this looking for the shooting format of the film... my gut instinct is that it’s 35mm but I wasn’t sure. Obviously other EPCOT projects were done in 70mm around the same time (AA for certain... I think some Energy stuff as well?), but I can’t find a lot of info to confirm.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My hot take on IdF

1. Sublime music: all French master composers.

2. Beautiful imagery

3. Suspect sociology: IdF gives the impression that half of the French people ply medieval trades such as fishing and coopering, and the other half are jet set yuppies that spend every night at penthouse black tie soirees.

I'm disappointed they aren't doing the rotation as announced. I'm hopeful that this is temporary and when the new movie is ready, it will get more air time.

WondersOfLife

Unlike the other WS films, there is very little about IdF that points to what year it was made. It didn't bow down to the trends of the day. You have to look pretty closely to notice a few people's glasses and cars aren't up-to-date. IdF avoided the problem that was present in films such as Norway with the green screen computers, etc. IdF was just as beautiful and artistic in 1982 as it is in 2020.

Saying something was made in a particular year doesn't really mean much. That's like saying the Mona Lisa is boring because it was painted in the early 1500s. Or that Notre Dame is architecturally dated and why would anyone want to go to that when they could go to the glass-paned post-modernist Crystal/Christ Cathedral instead.

You might as well say that something which was inspiring on Tuesday can't be inspiring on Thursday.

again, seeing the real historical thing is different from seeing a film on the historical thing.

Rue D'Baga

This is a ridiculous schedule. IdF runs for 90 minutes? So that's...3 showings a night? What a completely absurd and infuriating move.

I'm biased- I love IdF. I get teary-eyed every time I watch it for no discernible reason, so I was bound to be mildly annoyed at whatever the schedule was with BatB. But only 7:30 - 9:00 every night...that's so beyond what I thought would happen. I see you, Disney, and you kinda suck.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Honestly, it would seem that after 7pm, the little ones will be tired enough and will be sleeping thru Impression and the adults with cocktails in hand can enjoy the show. Doesn't seem like the end of the world to me. I'd also venture to say that with 1 and a half hours of run time, you'll be able to get in to see it easily enough.

Why is it that we treat kids like they don’t enjoy culture? My first exposure to IdF was when I was 2, and then 3, and then 4, etc. I’ve loved it since I was a small child. A few years ago, in the early afternoon, we watched a little girl a few rows ahead of us stand up halfway through the movie and begin “condicting” the music in the film. It was wonderful. This new schedule would likely have kept that little girl from ever being exposed to IdF. Kids aren’t dumb and whether Disney wants to believe it or not, kids like having the ability to explore the world. BatB sing along is nothing to do with French culture.

TrainsOfDisney

Why is it that we treat kids like they don’t enjoy culture? My first exposure to IdF was when I was 2, and then 3, and then 4, etc. I’ve loved it since I was a small child. A few years ago, in the early afternoon, we watched a little girl a few rows ahead of us stand up halfway through the movie and begin “condicting” the music in the film. It was wonderful. This new schedule would likely have kept that little girl from ever being exposed to IdF. Kids aren’t dumb and whether Disney wants to believe it or not, kids like having the ability to explore the world. BatB sing along is nothing to do with French culture.

Big kids too! I didn’t know what “ragtime piano” was until I listened to Jim play on Main Street. I’ve since attended ragtime festivals and gotten very interested in it.

Disney at its best introduces us to various forms of entertainment. Before I saw illuminations, I had no idea that a fireworks show could be so poetic and well choreographed.

Updating a world showcase film is one thing, replacing it with a sing along? At least frozen you get equity Ben and some fun comedy warehouse cast members, this sounds like a made-for-Disney+ extra. I don’t get it.

If we HAD to get IP, at least do a cgi mixed with real views of France. I think “Remy’s Impressions de France” has a nice ring to it. Have a cgi Remy show real life footage of his country. Throw in some classic IDF footage and music and a few new scenes to freshen it up.

gustaftp

again, seeing the real historical thing is different from seeing a film on the historical thing.
Again,

IdF encouraged me to study French and visit France. Seeing something in a film isn't exactly the same as seeing it with your own eyes, obviously. But after many trips to France, I can't say that the film is inaccurate in capturing the general feeling of being there yourself. One of the scenes that captures this most brilliantly is where people are riding the train, and the trains pulling into Gare Du Nord. I vividly remember the first time I rode the TGV from Basel to Paris, and having the same exact same feeling the film imparts.

Not sure why this is a difficult concept for you to grasp. While "La Belle et La Béte" may be a French story, what parts of French culture will this sing-a-long impart on visitors to the pavilion? Will it inspire anyone to visit the real France, or study the language, or get to know any French people? Doubtful.

I wouldn't have an issue if the shows were running in a true alternating fashion, but this is not the case. Something sublime, low-key, and beautiful is largely being cast aside for something that is going to mainly appeal to female children ages 8 and younger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom