News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

the.dreamfinder

Oh yeah, definitely! According to a coworker who did a CP in the ‘90s, 45k was considered busy and called for full operations. Today that’s called a moderate crowd.

On my most recent WDW trip last fall, Epcot opened on a Sunday morning of F&W with just eight operational ticket readers—four stations total. Four. On a Sunday. The entrance queue stretched up the monorail ramp. I didn’t bother going to GR because several leaders were already standing in the front entrance, watching the whole thing.

The company clearly doesn’t care about guest experience because it’s cutting staff while raising prices to show good quarterly numbers.
A WDW vacation pays for 21st Century Fox, compensating for ESPN’s reduced profitability and building out Direct to Consumer.

The parks are an ATM machine.

I don’t particularly care for the blowback for saying this anymore.

DDLand

It really is amazing how Disney has conditioned a large audience to praise getting less for more.
Oh yeah, definitely! According to a coworker who did a CP in the ‘90s, 45k was considered busy and called for full operations. Today that’s called a moderate crowd.

On my most recent WDW trip last fall, Epcot opened on a Sunday morning of F&W with just eight operational ticket readers—four stations total. Four. On a Sunday. The entrance queue stretched up the monorail ramp. I didn’t bother going to GR because several leaders were already standing in the front entrance, watching the whole thing.

The company clearly doesn’t care about guest experience because it’s cutting staff while raising prices to show good quarterly numbers.
I was at the Magic Kingdom Jan 2nd. It was busy as I expected. I had a Space Mountain FP and it took 40 minutes to make it onto the attraction. The poor standby line ballooned to 180 minutes.

While that was bad, what really dismayed me was finding out they weren’t running Space Mountain at full capacity. They were only boarding a single train on each track instead of simultaneous loading. The busiest theme park in the world wasn’t even trying to make things as smooth as possible. That was soul wrenching.

The purpose of MyMagic was to make going to Disney World “fun” again. As I waited to order my lunch while being yelled at to “fill all available space,” I looked at the people around me. They looked beaten. I’m willing to bet that at this very moment, in spite of exciting new additions and “beloved franchises,” the intent to return rate is declining. Every time I had a good time, some stupid frictionalty ruined the day.

I’m thinking about this, but I would not be surprised if their data is increasingly worrisome. While profits and margins are important, customer satisfaction, intent-to-recommend, and intent-to-return are far more in important. Chapek is probably freaking out right now.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was at the Magic Kingdom Jan 2nd. It was busy as I expected. I had a Space Mountain FP and it took 40 minutes to make it onto the attraction. The poor standby line ballooned to 180 minutes.

While that was bad, what really dismayed me was finding out they weren’t running Space Mountain at full capacity. They were only boarding a single train on each track instead of simultaneous loading. The busiest theme park in the world wasn’t even trying to make things as smooth as possible. That was soul wrenching.

The purpose of MyMagic was to make going to Disney World “fun” again. As I waited to order my lunch while being yelled at to “fill all available space,” I looked at the people around me. They looked beaten. I’m willing to bet that at this very moment, in spite of exciting new additions and “beloved franchises,” the intent to return rate is declining. Every time I had a good time, some stupid frictionalty ruined the day.

I’m thinking about this, but I would not be surprised if their data is increasingly worrisome. While profits and margins are important, customer satisfaction, intent-to-recommend, and intent-to-return are far more in important. Chapek is probably freaking out right now.
The parks are being ran by people who care only for data that allows them to kick the can down the road another quarter to show profits.

I would bet dollars to donuts that they spend more money on studying the psychology of hearding the masses in a calm fashion vs actual guest experience.

MattFrees71

Curious what part isn't correct. Did you even read what I wrote?

Let me refresh.

That area that has been purchased is largely in part of Orange County designated as Horizon West. Specifically it is located in Village F.

I think we can agree that is true. Look at the maps, there is a lot of overlap.

There have been talks going on for a small Disney owned shopping center, not really associated with the resort, more for the neighboring areas, coming to Village F for a while.

Drive to any of the local businesses there that are part of the Horizon West business association and pick up a copy of the most recent, or perhaps second most recent copy of Horizon West Happenings magazine. There is a mention in an article that of talks with Disney to bring a Disney owned shopping center to Village F. If I were at home, I would scan the page and send it to you now.

*If* the land is buildable, that looks like a good place to fit it.

I never said the land was buildable. Just that if it was, that would be a good place for it. It's going to be right by a community park and a new high school.

It will be right next to a proposed area park and the new high school being built there.

Prep work on the school land right to the north (edit - This is what was wrong I guess. High school is right to west also) of that location has begun. You can see it from Seidel Rd. The park is a few years out, but it is in the planning page, these are both public record.

Right now that lot is part of unincorporated Winter Garden. As of yet I have not seen anything saying it will be annexed to Reedy Creek. Not saying it won't, but it will have to be brought up in public meetings for that to occur.

I will actually site my sources for all of this information. Me. I live in Village H am active in the community. Both Horizon West and Winter Garden in general. I attend the public meetings because I to know what is going on. As it stands right now, Disney has bought property that resides in Village F and has also been in talks to build a retail center for the Horizon West community in Village F.
Umm.. the land Disney bought clearly overlaps with "Village F" on the Horizons West map. @Soluna16 is correct.

Btw, I think it's a real shame all that beautiful natural land west of Disney has to be ruined by the wall to wall development. Perfect example of all what's wrong with development in Florida building right next to so many lakes/wet areas where the aquifer recharges. Much of it used to be citrus groves too. I recently drove through there just to enjoy the last remaining pieces. Development is descending on that area like vultures.

lazyboy97o

That’s just it, NextGen wasn’t supposed to make things fun, it was to con you into thinking you got something while really getting less. While attractions are a big focus, the Magic Kingdom has less dining capacity today than it did in 1994. More people crammed in and less opportunity to sell them stuff.

peter11435

. While attractions are a big focus, the Magic Kingdom has less dining capacity today than it did in 1994.
While that was certainly once true in recent years I don’t believe that is still the case. The addition of Be Our Guest and Gaston’s Tavern, The reopening of the Adventureland veranda space as the skipper canteen, daily operation of the diamond horseshoe, tortuga tavern and Friars nook.

lazyboy97o

While that was certainly once true in recent years I don’t believe that is still the case. The addition of Be Our Guest and Gaston’s Tavern, The reopening of the Adventureland veranda space as the skipper canteen, daily operation of the diamond horseshoe, tortuga tavern and Friars nook.
Turnover for a quick service venue is typically about 20 minutes compared to 60 minutes for a table service venue. More square footage is also allocated to a table service diner than a quick service diner. Even if it replaced the entire area of the Adventureland Veranda, the Skipper Canteen would only have a fraction of the capacity. Tomorrowland Terrace also remains shuttered.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

My wife and oldest were down there earlier this week. They saw similar things as what you saw with Space Mountain - The Peoplemover, for example, had a 30 minute wait but they were loading every other or every third chain of cars, basically running it at about 1/3 capacity. I think she said that Pirates was only loading one side, as well. So it's not necessarily that MK is *that* busy, but they are manipulating things to make it seem busier than it actually is.

Capsin4

No reason to think this means another park. It’s just easy to by acres and use it for transfers in small chunks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I don’t think “making it fun”...every crossed anybody’s mind
That’s just it, NextGen wasn’t supposed to make things fun, it was to con you into thinking you got something while really getting less. While attractions are a big focus, the Magic Kingdom has less dining capacity today than it did in 1994. More people crammed in and less opportunity to sell them stuff.
Harsh...but hard to dispute

Dining availability has been wrecked by two other reasons since:

1. The dump of priority seating as compared to hard reservations
2. Staffing based on those reservations

No bookings...staff reduced...walk ups turned away due to staff “savings”...people shunted into quickserves:

Disorbust

My kids have also had the same Space Mountain experience as you did. Waited 90 minutes to find it running at half capacity. This practice has killed any love of MK for them. They only go when friends are visiting. So this weekend they are off to visit St. Augustine

tirian

As others have pointed out, MyMagic wasn’t supposed to make anything fun. It was supposed to reshuffle crowds to existing attractions, and therefore keep them occupied, by keeping queues full. It was a shell game to avoid future investments. Disney thought the market was completely mature and unable to grow. Then Uni opened HP.

Your experience at Space Mt. is exactly what the system was designed to do.

Rich Brownn

As others have pointed out, MyMagic wasn’t supposed to make anything fun. It was supposed to reshuffle crowds to existing attractions, and therefore keep them occupied, by keeping queues full. It was a shell game to avoid future investments. Disney thought the market was completely mature and unable to grow. Then Uni opened HP.

Your experience at Space Mt. is exactly what the system was designed to do.
Yeah the only time I've seen them do dual load is when there is a delay from unload for the cars coming up and they have to load quickly.

Lilofan

Part of the area maybe could be used for cast member housing so cast don't have to sleep in their cars, sleep in break rooms, stay over at friends places, stay week to week in motels in Hwy 192 in Kissimmee or commute from long distances including riding the bus for several hours back and forth to work their scheduled shifts.

Rich Brownn

Part of the area maybe could be used for cast member housing so cast don't have to sleep in their cars, sleep in break rooms, stay over at friends places, stay week to week in motels in Hwy 192 in Kissimmee or commute from long distances including riding the bus for several hours back and forth to work their scheduled shifts.
Hahahahahahahaha

Steph15251

I do not even find this funny,my twin works at Disney and we live in an apartment in Davenport and plan on moving closer to Disney once our lease is up.but we only live like 20 mins away .

castlecake2.0

Sorry to dig up old thread but this question has been on my mind for a while. When Disney buys new land does it automatically become part of RCID? How does that work?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom