I Miss WDW More Than DL..

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sacrilegious but hear me out.

I've been going to Disneyland since even before I was born. It feels like a second home to me in a way. I've only been to WDW twice - once when I was 16, and again around this time last year. I hate to say it but I find myself missing WDW way more than DL, and I've listed some reasons as to why I think this is, below.

1. Town vs City - Being at WDW helps you feel like you're getting way better value for your money. It's a whole city of Disney, vs a weird Anaheim.
2. The Attractions - It's up in the air but there is enough diversity at WDW to make you want to come back. PotC, BTMRR, IJA (compared to Dinosaur), all hands down better at Disneyland. Disneyworld has some great takes on classics like their own HM. Then there's the big dogs - Tower of Terror, RnR, 7DMT, Pandora, World Showcase, etc. I love Disneyland classics but despise the newer stuff.
3. No contest - Disney Springs makes Downtown Disney look like a state fair. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself.
4. You can spend a full day at WDW without visiting the parks, and still have a great time. I experienced this first hand by ordering a drink at the Swan, relaxing in that huge area between Swan / Dolphin, and walking the boardwalk - checking out the shops. It chewed up hours and a minimal amount of money was spent doing this.

I complain a lot about Disneyland's newest changes. IMO, as the price increased and the changes take place, the value has just been greatly diminished. I hate what's become of DCA but you all already know that. Before 2016, I had no desire to visit WDW. I now see that was a mistake on my part.

Maybe some of it, is that I don't have that same emotional connection to WDW attractions like I do to DL, so I don't mind the changes like Frozen Ever After (which is admittedly great). I've also been to Disneyland so many times - which wasn't a problem before - that I feel like I've lost some sense of adventure. But really this never bothered me until M:BO, Hyperspace, Pixar Pier..

If you've been to both sides of the country, tell me what you think!

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Visit there more often then.🤷🏾‍♀️

Flights are unfortunately expensive and there are often no non-stops. It's easier to drive to DL. That and i'm sure you know I made a last minute decision to get a Disneyland AP, which is fine because I still enjoy DL, and there is a lot of construction going on over at WDW. But starting next year, I will start paying more attention to WDW - especially when the WDWRR, Tron Coaster, MMRR open up.

Stevek

I've been going to Disneyland since even before I was born. It feels like a second home to me in a way. I've only been to WDW twice - once when I was 16, and again around this time last year. I hate to say it but I find myself missing WDW way more than DL, and I've listed some reasons as to why I think this is, below.

1. Town vs City - Being at WDW helps you feel like you're getting way better value for your money. It's a whole city of Disney, vs a weird Anaheim.
2. The Attractions - It's up in the air but there is enough diversity at WDW to make you want to come back. PotC, BTMRR, IJA (compared to Dinosaur), all hands down better at Disneyland. Disneyworld has some great takes on classics like their own HM. Then there's the big dogs - Tower of Terror, RnR, 7DMT, Pandora, World Showcase, etc. I love Disneyland classics but despise the newer stuff.
3. No contest - Disney Springs makes Downtown Disney look like a state fair. If you've never been, you owe it to yourself.
4. You can spend a full day at WDW without visiting the parks, and still have a great time. I experienced this first hand by ordering a drink at the Swan, relaxing in that huge area between Swan / Dolphin, and walking the boardwalk - checking out the shops. It chewed up hours and a minimal amount of money was spent doing this.

I complain a lot about Disneyland's newest changes. IMO, as the price increased and the changes take place, the value has just been greatly diminished. I hate what's become of DCA but you all already know that. Before 2016, I had no desire to visit WDW. I now see that was a mistake on my part.

Maybe some of it, is that I don't have that same emotional connection to WDW attractions like I do to DL, so I don't mind the changes like Frozen Ever After (which is admittedly great). I've also been to Disneyland so many times - which wasn't a problem before - that I feel like I've lost some sense of adventure. But really this never bothered me until M:BO, Hyperspace, Pixar Pier..

I think it's reasonable for someone who has made 100's of visits to Disneyland vs WDW to miss he latter. Your bullets above are valid but as you say, it ain't cheap to get there. I would gladly go back (we've been 4 times) but I we want to step outside the Disney bubble and experience more of what our great country has to offer.

Mac Tonight

I hear you.

I grew up in Orlando just a stone's throw from WDW.
Spent most of my formative years there and my love of Disney parks was birthed at Epcot in the early 90's.
One of the reasons I hate DCA so much is that it almost had the potential to become WestCot.

Unfortunately, I haven't returned to WDW since 2012, but I miss it every single day.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think it's reasonable for someone who has made 100's of visits to Disneyland vs WDW to miss he latter. Your bullets above are valid but as you say, it ain't cheap to get there. I would gladly go back (we've been 4 times) but I we want to step outside the Disney bubble and experience more of what our great country has to offer.

You bring up a great point! I too would love to see more beautiful places in this country as well. I actually quite like Florida, the tropical environment and beautiful beaches. Next year I might be able to make my rounds throughout the Orlando area - than it would be more than just Disney, but also still Disney.

I've been to several cities in the states, and even took a trip to Hawaii a couple of times. I might just miss travel outside of Anaheim in general lol.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I hear you.

I grew up in Orlando just a stone's throw from WDW.
Spent most of my formative years there and my love of Disney parks was birthed at Epcot in the early 90's.
One of the reasons I hate DCA so much is that it almost had the potential to become WestCot.

Unfortunately, I haven't returned to WDW since 2012, but I miss it every single day.

If only WestCot became a thing. Tony Baxter was a legend and deserved to have it. I'm actually a bit jealous you lived near WDW!

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
WDW is a great resort with a ton of things to do (when they’re not broken), but Magic Kingdom is a shallow park compared to DL (though it at least has a Peoplemover...well, when it’s not billowing smoke...)

So true. Their maintenance schedule is terrible. Than again, Disneyland's isn't all that great either.

The thing about WDW is that there are 4 parks compared to DL's two, so I feel like Disneyland does have an obligation to fill in as many empty spaces as possible, whereas Disneyworld is more about the environment IMO. They're both great but it's no contest: Walt's original beats Florida's MK. But WDW as a whole just feels like the better place to be, in a lot of ways.

EPCOTCenterLover

I totally get what you're saying! Plus, for us, our last two visits have been with family- and they've been great! There's a "resort" feel you can't get at DLR if you spend more than a day or two on property. Whereas at WDW, the options seem unlimited. I'll always love Disneyland, but WDW is also a very special place in my heart after these last two trips.

DABIGCHEEZ

There are plenty of us that have visited WDW enough times to feel the same way to do in sentence 1. WDW has more to do yes... but over time you will see that too and fall even more into the(price increases, but overall value drops mood). We have never been to DLR, but I am trying to convince wife and daughters... the fact that it is something NEW(even with some of the similarities) makes it more inviting to me at least.

Mouse Trap

Growing up next to WDW and now living part of the year in LA and Orlando... I have the opposite view of you.

WDW just doesn't do it for me. It feels too gimmicky, too much of a cash grab and frankly it just feels like it tries for that Disneyland magic, but just can't quite get it right -- it feels much more touristy. Plus the place always seems to be falling apart.

Both are great and I enjoy my time at either resort, but Disneyland is the only place I actually "miss".

Mickeyboof

From New York City, WDW is often a $50 flight away (Disneyland Paris is a cheaper visit than DL as well from my coast with my Magic Plus AP).

Everytime I am in WDW (which is often), I find myself wishing the whole time I were in Disneyland or Paris (except when in Animal Kingdom!).

I like the Disneyland campus much better than WDW. I really hate that the whole property is a mess of highways and parking lots. I hate that I can see the Swan and Dolphin from almost every angle (joking... but not really). I even like Downtown Disney way more than the sprawling Disney Springs. The World of Disney Store is so exciting and sweet, the shops are groovy and it leads to two amazing hotels.

I would much rather visit Cars Land than the pathetic show at Hollywood Studios. Incredicoaster over Rock n Roller Coaster. Every ride is better at DL and DLP than WDW (besides Splash).

Disneyland is so precious and intimate. It’s so personal. WDW is just so gimmicky and mass produced. Even Disneyland Paris does seasonal offerings (like unique snacks and shows) better than Walt Disney World!

bryanfze55

I live closer to WDW than DL, but lately it seems that every time we plan a trip to WDW, we end up canceling and going back to DL instead. WDW is just such a logistical nightmare...

WDW does have some great experiences that you can’t find at DL, such as Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase. And although most of the same rides are better at Disneyland, I think Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain are way better at WDW. Expedition Everest is the best Disney roller coaster. And Tower of Terror is now only found at WDW.

For me, though, it’s the little details that make DL better. It’s not about Pirates being twice as long at DL, or It’s a Small World having a beautiful facade at DL and a hideous facade at MK... there’s legitimate historical reasons for that. WDW just doesn’t care about “show” as much as DL, though I admit it’s getting worse at DL.

Every time I’m at WDW, I think:
-Why can’t WDW Fantasmic get the updates that DL got?
-Why can’t WDW get the dynamite finale scene on Big Thunder Mountain?
-Why do Main Street Vehicles run hours longer every day at DL?
-Why doesn’t WDW do the dinosaur and Grand Canyon dioramas on the Railroad? DL and Tokyo DL do this. WDW just doesn’t for some reason.
-Why aren’t the Rivers of America maintained at WDW? Why doesn’t the Liberty Square Riverboat play the same pleasant music that the Mark Twain Riverboat does? It magnifies the experience.

Rant over. Disneyland just excels at details, even now... DCA, not so much. But Disneyland itself has enough charm to keep bringing me back.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
@DABIGCHEEZ If you can convince your family, I highly recommend going even as a WDW veteran such as yourself. Disneyland is just amazing, and holds some of the best classic attractions Disney has ever made. A majority of my gripes lie in DCA and even they have Cars Land, the wharf area, and Grizzly Peak, but I wouldn't spend more than 1/2 of one day at California Adventure.

@Mickeyboof I think you have a great argument (except did you just say you prefer chase-a-baby to Aerosmith? 😶). Though on the contrary, I like that WDW is more open. I prefer the bus rides through the beautiful green forest areas than the heavy traffic of Anaheim. The hustle and bustle of Disneyland can at times feel a little more overwhelming, but I believe that's a side effect of it being the smaller park. WDW is overwhelming if you're a first timer, but even then I found it to be more relaxed.

I suppose I forgot to mention - I LOVE the environment of Orlando and the green in general. Everything looked clean when I was there.

@bryanfze55 I don't know how it is if we were to rent a car, but I was able to travel everywhere through bus / boat. I found that to be a bit more ideal than the parking situation at Disneyland. But I feel you - I couldn't take PotC seriously at WDW. The Winnie the Pooh queue felt like a giant mess. I'm not really a fan of the interactive elements. WDW doesn't do it like Disneyland (see Indiana Jones). Also, a lot of things at WDW felt like they needed a deep refurbishment. People have been complaining about ToT's broken elements for years. Expedition Everest was a vibration-riddled coaster and the yeti STILL doesn't work after a full decade. Dinosaur, the most interesting sounding E-ticket, was a horrendous joke.

Disneyland is indeed better than any of the 5 other parks, but put some TLC into what WDW has and it's a fierce competition.

bryanfze55

@1LE McQueen you really don’t like Expedition Everest? What on earth do you like about WDW then? That is probably the best themed coaster at a Disney park and relatively smooth compared to other coasters (RnRC, Space.)

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
@1LE McQueen you really don’t like Expedition Everest? What on earth do you like about WDW then? That is probably the best themed coaster at a Disney park and relatively smooth compared to other coasters (RnRC, Space.)

It's not that I don't like Everest, I like it quite a bit. I'm just disappointed at the less than smooth ride quality, the broken yeti, the hairbands and the dulled paint. Epic attraction like ToT, but they both could use some serious downtime.

I'm not a loopy - corkscrew type of guy, but I walked away from RnR with less of a headache then I did after EE. Take it as you will.

I'll take an optimistic approach and say that it may happen after they finish WDWRR, Tron, MMRR, GotG, etc. I know the rumor mill has been spinning regarding Spaceship Earth.

bryanfze55

It's not that I don't like Everest, I like it quite a bit. I'm just disappointed at the less than smooth ride quality, the broken yeti, the hairbands and the dulled paint. Epic attraction like ToT, but they both could use some serious downtime.

I'm not a loopy - corkscrew type of guy, but I walked away from RnR with less of a headache then I did after EE. Take it as you will.

I'll take an optimistic approach and say that it may happen after they finish WDWRR, Tron, MMRR, GotG, etc. I know the rumor mill has been spinning regarding Spaceship Earth.

I think the reason they are updating Spaceship Earth is to make it “more Disney.” I don’t think it’s general TLC... WDW will never fix the Yeti. ToT seemed fine when I last went on it, so I can’t comment. In general, WDW is tourists and “once in a lifetime” guests whereas Disneyland’s customer base is largely locals. They have to do refurbs and update things at Disneyland to keep locals returning. At WDW, they don’t give two ***** if you come back - there will be some foreign traveler or Disney fanatic soccer mom to take your place and drop $10K (a budget I’m learning is normal in the WDW forum).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom