News Tomorrowland love

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Wow they really said Iger did that?
I don't remember that as a direct quote, (though it may have been,) but it matches the tone. The first four episodes were reasonably honest in terms of how the various parks came together under Walt and subsequent leadership through Eisner. Certainly not a hit job, but much more warts-and-all than I was expecting. The last two episodes became a love letter to our Lord and Mouse-iah, Bob Iger. The man who had the vision to save Disney by buying Pixar and Marvel and Star Wars and Fox. He brought more of the characters that you love to Disney parks. He signed off on Cars Land and Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge. He single-handedly fixed DCA and brought Disney to communist China via the unqualified success that is Shanghai Disneyland. The modern-day Walt Disney.

rreading

I don't remember that as a direct quote, (though it may have been,) but it matches the tone. The first four episodes were reasonably honest in terms of how the various parks came together under Walt and subsequent leadership through Eisner. Certainly not a hit job, but much more warts-and-all than I was expecting. The last two episodes became a love letter to our Lord and Mouse-iah, Bob Iger. The man who had the vision to save Disney by buying Pixar and Marvel and Star Wars and Fox. He brought more of the characters that you love to Disney parks. He signed off on Cars Land and Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge. He single-handedly fixed DCA and brought Disney to communist China via the unqualified success that is Shanghai Disneyland. The modern-day Walt Disney.

Certainly there are real issues in the parks, but as a general rule, things have gone well under Iger.

DCA had made a huge improvement before they went goofy with Pixar Pier.

Closing the Great Movie Ride is not appreciated but may have been as much an issue of not knowing what to do with it rather than wanting it gone. I would wager that it and UOE both had pretty meager guest satisfaction ratings and they both needed some kind of an overhaul. The trouble seems to have been the same as continues to exist in Imagination: that no one knows what to do to reimagine it. The money exists. It's just having something compelling to do with it.

DHS is otherwise on a forward path. DAK is continuing to improve (improvements with Harambe and Pandora most obviously). As limited as it is, New Fantasyland is beautiful. Epcot will be feel refreshed...and hopefully will still have meaningful content once it's all said and done.

And beyond WDW, Disney now owns and is improving Paris DL, and opened Shanghai - which will hopefully be good for Disney in the long haul.

The very real knock is that everything is now IP based.... How much of a bad thing that is can be debated. But when I thing about WDW 10 years ago compared with what it is now, almost every aspect of the parks has been or is being improved.

Mike S

The trouble seems to have been the same as continues to exist in Imagination: that no one knows what to do to reimagine it. The money exists. It's just having something compelling to do with it.
This guy might have an idea or two. Just a hunch.
tony-baxter.jpg

lazyboy97o

It’s implied. The Haunted Mansion Holiday debuted in 2001 and was done by the park’s entertainment department. It really should not be in the show since it wasn’t an Imagineering project. Based on the chronology presented it belongs in the second half of episode four (along with Pooh’s Hunny Hunt) but was instead slotted into episode five and directly contrasted to “it’s a small world”.

rreading

This guy might have an idea or two. Just a hunch.
tony-baxter.jpg

Would be great!

My guess is that a redo can be more difficult than the initial creative idea. I'm having trouble thinking of any reimagination that is better than the original. Pirates? nope. UOE? maybe for a while, but I don't recall the original well enough

The Pho

Would be great!

My guess is that a redo can be more difficult than the initial creative idea. I'm having trouble thinking of any reimagination that is better than the original. Pirates? nope. UOE? maybe for a while, but I don't recall the original well enough

I think Spaceship Earth is probably the only ride that really has an argument for being improved by an update. Most are on the lines of Test Track and Figment. And a few are on par.

rreading

I think Spaceship Earth is probably the only ride that really has an argument for being improved by an update. Most are on the lines of Test Track and Figment.

Even still, many would argue that Cronkite's version is better. Again, my recall is not good enough to compare. Martin's videos would probably be able to definitively prove one vs another

The Pho

Even still, many would argue that Cronkite's version is better. Again, my recall is not good enough to compare. Martin's videos would probably be able to definitively prove one vs another
Most seem to argue for either Cronkite’s or Iron’s versions as being the best, but both were updates. Vic Perrin narrated the original version for the first few years.

Mike S

Would be great!

I think he’s said that he has ideas on what to do with Imagination. He just needs Disney to pull the trigger. Who better to redesign it than the original designer.

tirian

Yeah, they fudged the timeline and presented it as a WDI project under Iger. They also gave it as an example of how guests thought they’d hate seeing toon IP in a classic attraction, yet ended up loving the result.

FWIW, it was an Entertainment-led venture and WDI wasn’t involved, and Eisner was CEO.

tirian

Irons had the best descent. Cronkite’s video screens were cheesy even in the ‘80s, and the “Tomorrow’s Child” vocals haven’t aged well at all.

tirian

Oh, he didn’t just sign off on CarsLand. According to the show, WDI was already planning a Route 66 land that they chose to re-theme to Cars after it hit theaters. And they didn’t know what kind of ride system to use until someone visited Epcot and remembered Test Track. Lasseter wasn’t involved very much. It was predominantly another guy’s project.

So they say.

Plus the episode went out of its way to specifically show Iger requesting more trees and shade(!!!) — a common complaint on fan forums.

As soon as the series got to Iger, most of its narrative was either highly twisted or an outright lie. It was disappointing to see the PR dept. kick into high gear.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Irons had the best descent. Cronkite’s video screens were cheesy even in the ‘80s

Agree on the Irons descent. Was just watching Martin's video of that the other day, and it still is so majestic.

Video screens... probably agree, but I really would need to watch a video of it again to refresh my memory.

and the “Tomorrow’s Child” vocals haven’t aged well at all.

I... I... I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Agree on the Irons descent. Was just watching Martin's video of that the other day, and it still is so majestic.

Video screens... probably agree, but I really would need to watch a video of it again to refresh my memory.

I... I... I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore. ;)
I’m a Cronkite kid. Loved the trippy projections more than the mannequins (though I was partial to Irons descent too. When the 180 top laser was still active)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom