News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Epcot_Imagineer

With an 80 million dollar budget (if this ends up being the actual number) their is no way it’s just an enchanted tales with belle experience.

...also I know this is Chapek but I doubt he would would make a huge deal over a meet and greet. I wonder though why we have no news on this “thing”at this point we should know what it is.

EDIT: Why hasn’t this broken ground yet? I know I asked about this before but now we are in the new year.
With how things are going, Disney could tell me they spend 80 million on power-washing the concrete in Epcot before opening, and I wouldn't be surprised.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm hearing that the budget for this is around $80 million for what it's worth!
@marni1971 Does that sound about right... if so this can't just be an elaborate meet and greet
It’s around that yes. Which isn’t a lot when you go into the work involved via WDI.

(Although that was the cost give or take of the original Forbidden Journey. You can tell we’re not in Kansas anymore)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It checks out. I did the math! ;)

Souped-up Flat ride (typical carnival attraction cost x 150 (WDI R&D) = ~40mil
Combined with an elaborate Meet and Greet area in same vein as Belle ~10mil
Multiple that amount by 2 (Construction: Show building, Queue, Infrastructure)
Subtract 25% (slashed budget) then
Add 5-7% (unforeseen expenses or pocket money)

Total cost = ~$80 million.*

*Possibly more on days ending in Y.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

It checks out. I did the math.

Souped-up flatride (typical carnival attraction cost x 150 (WDI R&D) =~40mil combined with an elaborate meet and greet in the same vein as Belle + ~10mil. Multiple that amount by 2 (Construction: Showbuilding, Queue, etc) - 25% (slashed budget) then add 5-7% (unforeseen expenses or pocket money)

Gives you an attraction total cost of approximately $80 million.*

*Possibly more on days ending in Y.

So...it’s both? If that’s the case...its better then just a carousel. Poppins deserves all the stops though. I’ll take what I can get.

The Empress Lilly

Well there’s a tall Pigmy argument. That’s what happens when they have moved on from any sense of coherent themeing and overall concept - we are left with debating what’s worse:

A water area themed to a girl who likes to sail boats and boats are on water and water is nature OR an attraction about the living seas which is about the seas and who lives there and since Nemo and his friends live there they fit.

Well done: Disney, well done.

They should just pull the ripcord and just make all four parks Magic Kingdoms North, South, East, and West - that way they can still fill every park with disconnected IP and cartoon characters. We will end up in the same place, but at least we won’t have to endure listening to WDI execs embarrassingly twist themselves into pretzels trying to rationalize it.
'Tall Pygmy argument', brilliant! 😄

MK north, south, east and west indeed! And even so...

The MK, now considered the paragon IP park, used to be very light on IP. In 1982, when EPCOT opened, the MK had 64 attractions. A mere ten were IP based. Really just Fantasyland, which counted seven, plus the trio of Treehouse and the two Mark Twain ones - not even Disney, but literature, classic Americana. 54 non-IP versus 10 IP...

And none in EPCOT of course. Here Disney wanted to show that it was more than just the narrow concept of what people thought of as 'Disney'.

WDW is an entirely different experience now.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The facade of a ride is part of the ride, so it’s part of the budget

Sure, but the whole Cherry Lane facade isn't necessarily all part of the attraction's facade, especially if it's just a carousel/spinner.

Regardless, if it is all part of the same budget, then there's significantly less than $80 million available for the ride itself. Cherry Lane will be far more expensive than something like the Ratatouille facade.

rreading

1. Epcot Forever / HarmonioUS - the former is awful but short lived. The latter is long term, likely technologically impressive but also likely IP heavy.
2. Frozen Ever After - decent enough ride, wrong park
3. The Seas with Nemo and Friends - I have an issue with the ride, I don't have an issue with Turtle Talk. There's no effort to tie it into Epcot's themes
4. Gran Fiesta Tour - Same problems as Seas with Nemo and Friends
5. Imagination with Figment - Just an overall bad ride
6. UK Pavilion - I'm concerned Poppins won't fit
7. Cosmic Rewind's thematic fit? There are treatments that could work, but I could see them foregoing that. Not to mention the eyesore that is the building.
8. Beauty and the Beast sing a long in France
9. Play Pavilion - Doesn't seem appropriate, just an excuse to put all the characters in Epcot. I suppose that centralizing them all in one location is a good alternative to spreading characters throughout the park, but they're doing both.
10. The future of SSE - I fear they my put it in IP

I'd listen to arguments about Moana concerns as high as 9 on my list, but whatever.

I find this to be an interesting question. What are the problems with Epcot?

To me, there are not a lack of things to do. There are not a plethora of rides for kids but my children have gone annually or more since 2 years of age and at 10 and 15 they still love Epcot as much as any other theme park and will not allow us to skip it (I'll suggest it sometimes to see what they say) even in a 2-3d WDW trip.

I loved the authenticity of Maelstrom much more that the ride itself. It always beckoned with potential and then you ended up in the North Sea amongst the oil wells...so...disappointed once again. While the Frozen ride doesn't include Odin and it does include a line, I still enjoyed it more. We don't really ride it anymore since it's not worth the line for us, but still I would say it's an improved experience for those who care to experience it.

While the Rio del Tempo was definitely not perfect, I feel that it is worse with the birds. Would definitely prefer a redo.

Imagination is a mess. Besides Energy - which needed something - it's the worst situation in Epcot. Hopefully they hearken back to its distant past which was amazing.

Loved Horizons and WOM as well as the Living Seas of the past but never really clicked with Innoventions nor CommuniCore so I'm not really going to miss them. If they can create a lovely, beckoning environment around a WELL DONE renovation of SSE then I will be happy. Fix Imagination and put the Pixar movie into Mexico then I'll be pretty happy.

Then they can reimagineer The Living Seas. That would be icing on the cake.

Regarding themes, I suppose that Epcot's current direction is a celebration of the culture of mankind. From its evolution in SSE to its manifestations of exploration and civilizations. HS is the world of movies. AK is the world of humans/animals and mankind in nature. And MK is somewhat a hodgepodge but is mostly our world of fantasy. But Epcot seems to represent the way in which our human culture participates in its world.

RSoxNo1

My expectation is indoor carousel with some sort of screen/visual component. I hope it's more than this, but that's my expectation.

No Name

I’ve always wanted to see a ride with a storyline where the oppressed carousel horses break free from the carousel! It would load and start out in carousel form and go around a couple times, but on a certain rotation, the horses would travel off of the carousel and into dark ride mode, roaming freely at last, but not without trouble! It would be fantastic. Guarantee guests would love it.

Obviously this isn’t what we’re getting, but I do hope that if a carousel indeed comes, it’s more than an amusement park ride.

Surferboy567

I’m still excited for this project. I love Poppins and with a little bit of that poppins twist could be fun...I just hope it has some cool tech, would really love to be in that world. I’m just happy we are getting cherry tree lane at least. Loved returns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom