News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

TrainsOfDisney

Those are the smaller boats. The Friendship boats run between BC/YC/BW and both EPCOT and DHS and there are no regular busses to either of those parks from those resorts. That’s probably the better comparison.

Is it just the smaller boats that run to wilderness? Not the larger ones? I know the smaller ones do, but thought the larger ones did as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is it just the smaller boats that run to wilderness? Not the larger ones? I know the smaller ones do, but thought the larger ones did as well.
At WL they have both boats that go directly to MK and boats that go to the camp ground and CR. There are 2 different size boats used. One that is larger and accommodates ECVs and wheelchairs and one that is smaller and does not. I think the boat route from MK to GF and Poly only uses the smaller boats. The same as the route from CR to Wilderness and the campground. The bigger boats go from MK to Campground for sure. Not sure if they can stop at Wilderness Lodge as well. I think they may change it up depending on demand. The boats to Poly, GF and WL are supplemental transport but the busses still run regularly. Boat may be the primary transport from camp ground to MK. Not sure, but that’s how they suggest you get to dinner show there.

Edit: I read this somewhere else on the internet so it must be true...somebody posted that the water level at the lake can impact whether they can load wheelchairs and ECVs even in the bigger boats. Not sure if that’s true but if so it would definitely mean they need to run regular busses.

Last edited:

joelkfla

Those are the smaller boats. The Friendship boats run between BC/YC/BW and both EPCOT and DHS and there are no regular busses to either of those parks from those resorts. That’s probably the better comparison.
Also, between FtW and MK, because they run the higher capacity accessible Cruisers on that route.

joelkfla

Usually there are 2 boats on the route: 1 Motor Launch, the small boat, and 1 Cruiser, the larger accessible boat.
The bigger boats go from MK to Campground for sure. Not sure if they can stop at Wilderness Lodge as well.
I have seen a Cruiser traveling from MK to FtW take on an ecv bound for WL, and make an extra stop to drop them there.

Victor Kelly

Friendship launches hit MK, FtW and Wilderness in a loop. A smaller boat will hit MK, FtW, Wilderness and Contemporary in another loop. The third loop is MK, Poly and GF with a smallet boat.

They may have changed some, but in Jan 2015 that was how it was working.

joelkfla

Friendship launches hit MK, FtW and Wilderness in a loop. A smaller boat will hit MK, FtW, Wilderness and Contemporary in another loop. The third loop is MK, Poly and GF with a smallet boat.

They may have changed some, but in Jan 2015 that was how it was working.
Sorry, this is completely wrong. There is no regular boat service between MK & CR. There is a loop that includes CR, WL, & FtW traveling in both directions. Boats travel between MK & WL, and between MK & FtW. Normally they are separate routes, but they are occasionally combined.

Friendship Boats only operate on World Showcase Lagoon and Crescent Lake out of Epcot to DHS. MK boats, in descending size order, are Ferryboats, Cruisers, and Motor Launches. There are also one or 2 repurposed DAK Riverboats, which I believe are primarily used for fireworks cruises, but are sometimes used to supplement resort service.

peter11435

Sorry, this is completely wrong. There is no regular boat service between MK & CR. There is a loop that includes CR, WL, & FtW traveling in both directions. Boats travel between MK & WL, and between MK & FtW. Normally they are separate routes, but they are occasionally combined.

Friendship Boats only operate on World Showcase Lagoon and Crescent Lake out of Epcot to DHS. MK boats, in descending size order, are Ferryboats, Cruisers, and Motor Launches. There are also one or 2 repurposed DAK Riverboats, which I believe are primarily used for fireworks cruises, but are sometimes used to supplement resort service.
This is the way

ABQ

Edit: I read this somewhere else on the internet so it must be true...somebody posted that the water level at the lake can impact whether they can load wheelchairs and ECVs even in the bigger boats. Not sure if that’s true but if so it would definitely mean they need to run regular busses.
It's not so much the water level, as the boat and dock both float, but the number of people on the boat and how they are distributed. Been on there many times when they have asked guests to move to the port or starboard sides to adjust the height of the step from the boat to the dock.

As a minor bit of added info on the which boats service WL, the larger boat, I believe it's Mermaid I, "belongs" to the lodge. Meaning, the lodge pays for its expense as part of it servicing the lodge, same case with the other which services the campgrounds from the MK. The smaller, launch expenses are handled differently by the transportation division.

joelkfla

It's not so much the water level, as the boat and dock both float, but the number of people on the boat and how they are distributed. Been on there many times when they have asked guests to move to the port or starboard sides to adjust the height of the step from the boat to the dock.

As a minor bit of added info on the which boats service WL, the larger boat, I believe it's Mermaid I, "belongs" to the lodge. Meaning, the lodge pays for its expense as part of it servicing the lodge, same case with the other which services the campgrounds from the MK. The smaller, launch expenses are handled differently by the transportation division.
That's another issue, but there have been drought years in the past when they've had signs out saying the boats could not take wheelchairs due to low water levels, at least for the Ferryboat. I would guess it has to do with the slope of the gangplank. I think it's been at least 5 years since the last occurrence.

Wheelchairs at TTC would have been referred to the Monorail or supplementary bus service. WL has always had a bus option. From FtW, Guests can take a bus to WL and transfer; I don't know whether they also ran direct bus service during those times (if the FtW boats were affected.)

(When I say "always", I mean for the last 15-20 years. I wasn't in these parts before then.) :)

180º

I said in 2015. Read the post again before being an insulting ***.
Just read the posts again and all I can see is you’re the one who couldn’t take a fair correction and is now doing the name-calling. It’s fine, sometimes we are misinformed. Better for all of us when discussion leads to more accurate information. This forum is a resource for users to plan their visits and @joelkfla ’s post was absolutely necessary and part of why this site is so valuable, so let’s please keep up spirits!

I had no idea the variety of boats currently on Bay Lake/SSL or that some had routes with multiple stops. Here’s my next google rabbit hole to go down!

gerarar

Premium Member
Personally, I hope Disney has realized that many Guests prefer a clear view, and we see no more wrapped cabins.
I totally agree. Fortunately the many times I rode on the Skyliner during my trip this past Christmas, I never got a cabin with a wrap.

I just don't think Disney would pass up the hype to not do it....or at least a bus wrapped themed to Baby Yoda, lol

orky8

Having just got back from the World, doing a split stay with Riviera and Bay Lake Tower, I will say the skyliner was a hit with the kids and really quite a nice form of transportation. While the monorail will always have a special place in my heart, my kids preferred the skyliner.

That said, I think the Riviera station is really the bottleneck here and they really needed to build in HA pull outs like the other stations. Getting a stroller off the gondolas, while completely doable, requires a bit of maneuvering. Our stroller, while only a single, was too big to turn around in the cabin, which meant it had to be backed out. By the time I step out, then the back wheels out, then the front wheels, it's a bit awkward. Again, completely doable - didn't have any issues. BUT, with that stroller experience, I can see how this would cause a lot of anxiety and issues for the scooters. When we travelled on the Epcot line, it slowed down many times and usually stopped briefly, at least once per journey. One time it had an abrupt 5 minute stop (not the typical slow to a stop). I hope they figure this out, but I almost think they need to have the ECVs use the bus instead of the Riviera station or some other alternative. I also wonder how much additional wear and tear it will put on the motors to constantly be spooling up and down.

Jon81uk

Getting a stroller off the gondolas, while completely doable, requires a bit of maneuvering. Our stroller, while only a single, was too big to turn around in the cabin, which meant it had to be backed out. By the time I step out, then the back wheels out, then the front wheels, it's a bit awkward. Again, completely doable - didn't have any issues. BUT, with that stroller experience, I can see how this would cause a lot of anxiety and issues for the scooters.

This isn't directed at you personally, but of course strollers can be folded and carried on and off the gondola in the same way they need to be folder to travel on buses. Of course scooter and wheelchair uses aren't able to fold in general, but getting a scooter off should be far easier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom