Ground transportation to/from port canaveral

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Ok. So this coming September, 2020, my mother will be turning 70. As a birthday gift to herself she’s taking the family on a Disney Cruise! Yay! I’ve been before, but it was about 20 years ago, so I don’t really remember anything other than that I didn’t love the teen lounge. This is where I could use a little help.
We’re sailing on the Disney Dream on July 5th. There will be 17 of us. 17. This includes a six month old, a two year old, a three year old, two eight year olds and a sixteen year old. So 11 adults and 6 “kids.” The 16 year old gets to stay a kid at heart as long as she likes.
We will all (probably, as the rooms are booked) be staying at the Wilderness Lodge the night before.

Should we book transportation through Disney? Are there significant pros/cons?

Is there another (possibly cheaper) option that would safely get everyone where we need to be? Keeping in mind the little kids and the possible need for car seats.

if you were going on this cruise with this group, what would be helpful to know about the boarding process and those first hours before we set sail?

Coming back we will also need transportation to Disney. There’s a chance 2 people will be headed straight for the airport, but not everyone has flights yet...

For those who have done it, would going to a park that day (the 10th when we got off the ship that morning) be reasonable? What time would we get to the hotel? We are planning park time that day, but if it’s nuts I need to temper people’s expectations.

Thanks for any advice! (We are Disney veterans and I feel like I have a good handle on that aspect of the trip, but if you have something to share, I’m here!)

EOD K9

Ok. So this coming September, 2020, my mother will be turning 70. As a birthday gift to herself she’s taking the family on a Disney Cruise! Yay! I’ve been before, but it was about 20 years ago, so I don’t really remember anything other than that I didn’t love the teen lounge. This is where I could use a little help.
We’re sailing on the Disney Dream on July 5th. There will be 17 of us. 17. This includes a six month old, a two year old, a three year old, two eight year olds and a sixteen year old. So 11 adults and 6 “kids.” The 16 year old gets to stay a kid at heart as long as she likes.
We will all (probably, as the rooms are booked) be staying at the Wilderness Lodge the night before.

Should we book transportation through Disney? Are there significant pros/cons?

Is there another (possibly cheaper) option that would safely get everyone where we need to be? Keeping in mind the little kids and the possible need for car seats.

if you were going on this cruise with this group, what would be helpful to know about the boarding process and those first hours before we set sail?

Coming back we will also need transportation to Disney. There’s a chance 2 people will be headed straight for the airport, but not everyone has flights yet...

For those who have done it, would going to a park that day (the 10th when we got off the ship that morning) be reasonable? What time would we get to the hotel? We are planning park time that day, but if it’s nuts I need to temper people’s expectations.

Thanks for any advice! (We are Disney veterans and I feel like I have a good handle on that aspect of the trip, but if you have something to share, I’m here!)
I'll help you with some info. Disney Transfers are expensive. The upside is that if the bus breaks down or if there is an issue, they are more likely to hold the ship until you ger there. DCL transfers are available on embark/debarkation days to/from the airport and port and Disney hotels. On our cruise this April, we are doing a really quick jaunt. DCL transfers from the hotel to the port and when we return, port to airport.
If you do chose their transfers, you will arrive around 1-130ish and can board right away. The nice part is that you dont need to wait in the terminal. Downside is that you dont get to board early and get more cruise time.
Bell Services will also pick up your luggage that cruise morning from the hotel and you'll see it again once you get on the ship. It is nice to not have to lug it with you to the port.

There is a company called Happy Limo. If everyone splits the price, it may be cheaper. You will be on their schedule and dont have much recourse if there is an issue with getting there on time.

In regards to a park day, I will give you my experience. You need to be off the boat by 8ish and sometimes sit on the bus until it departs around 9. They will take you back to the hotel and arrive around 1030. They wont take you to the park. I've done several cruises and hit one park when we've disembarked just to stay in the bubble. It was a non-pressure day as we have been there enough we werent worried about getting on anything. Unfortunately, the rooms arent always ready and by the middle of the day, my daughters get cranky. It makes for a long day. On our July cruise this year, we will be arriving, next day will be a park, and then cruise. When we return, we wil still stay in the bubble, but we will just hit the pool and hotel hop. By going to the park prior to the cruise, we can wake up a little later and return mid-day and go back til park close if we need to. My girls will be six this year if that gives you an idea of their energy level. Feel free to ask more questions.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I'll help you with some info. Disney Transfers are expensive. The upside is that if the bus breaks down or if there is an issue, they are more likely to hold the ship until you ger there. DCL transfers are available on embark/debarkation days to/from the airport and port and Disney hotels. On our cruise this April, we are doing a really quick jaunt. DCL transfers from the hotel to the port and when we return, port to airport.
If you do chose their transfers, you will arrive around 1-130ish and can board right away. The nice part is that you dont need to wait in the terminal. Downside is that you dont get to board early and get more cruise time.
Bell Services will also pick up your luggage that cruise morning from the hotel and you'll see it again once you get on the ship. It is nice to not have to lug it with you to the port.

There is a company called Happy Limo. If everyone splits the price, it may be cheaper. You will be on their schedule and dont have much recourse if there is an issue with getting there on time.

In regards to a park day, I will give you my experience. You need to be off the boat by 8ish and sometimes sit on the bus until it departs around 9. They will take you back to the hotel and arrive around 1030. They wont take you to the park. I've done several cruises and hit one park when we've disembarked just to stay in the bubble. It was a non-pressure day as we have been there enough we werent worried about getting on anything. Unfortunately, the rooms arent always ready and by the middle of the day, my daughters get cranky. It makes for a long day. On our July cruise this year, we will be arriving, next day will be a park, and then cruise. When we return, we wil still stay in the bubble, but we will just hit the pool and hotel hop. By going to the park prior to the cruise, we can wake up a little later and return mid-day and go back til park close if we need to. My girls will be six this year if that gives you an idea of their energy level. Feel free to ask more questions.
Thanks! That’s great info.
My sister is buying a two day ticket for after the cruise. We leave the boat on Friday and she flies home early Sunday morning. So Friday and Saturday it will be. If we get back to the hotel before noon we can drop our stuff and head to Animal Kingdom. It’ll be hot, but that’s Florida in July...

I’ll check out Happy Limo. We’re a pretty big group, so maybe we can get a can of some kind. When you’ve done your own transportation, what time do you request pick up/what time did you get to the port?

EOD K9

Thanks! That’s great info.
My sister is buying a two day ticket for after the cruise. We leave the boat on Friday and she flies home early Sunday morning. So Friday and Saturday it will be. If we get back to the hotel before noon we can drop our stuff and head to Animal Kingdom. It’ll be hot, but that’s Florida in July...

I’ll check out Happy Limo. We’re a pretty big group, so maybe we can get a can of some kind. When you’ve done your own transportation, what time do you request pick up/what time did you get to the port?
Bell Services will hold your things until your room is ready. It takes about an hour and a half from WDW to PC. You can log in and give your arrival time. They will then give you a boarding group number from there. Being as the ship disembarks then embarks the same day, I believe you cant get there before ten am. And you still need to wait for your boarding group to be called.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Bell Services will hold your things until your room is ready. It takes about an hour and a half from WDW to PC. You can log in and give your arrival time. They will then give you a boarding group number from there. Being as the ship disembarks then embarks the same day, I believe you cant get there before ten am. And you still need to wait for your boarding group to be called.
At first I thought you were talking about Star Wars boarding groups. I might be tired...

Seems like as long as we plan to get there early enough (not too early) we’ll be ok. My group definitely prefers to wait over possibly being late. I’ll price things out.
Thanks again!

MaryJaneP

We have done Disney Transport from MCO to PC and it is expensive but, as mentioned, covers problems so ship is very unlikely to leave while your bus is "in transit". Since boarding is usually after noon, and ship does not leave dock until after 4 pm-ish, DCL has left themselves a little wiggle room. Haven't tried non-disney yet. Maybe next trip, we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom