We are 80 and trying to figure how to get to Disney World

dreaming

There are four of us, 80 years old, who want one last trip to Disney World. We are getting so confused. All we will do is walk for a while, go on one "safe" ride, maybe "It's a Small world," and eat. We are reading how expensive tickets are, park closes when full, "fast passes?" and on an on. We want to spend a day mid January. Any of you have any ideas how to start this process and would like to help us?

JIMINYCR

If you are only going for one day, not doing the rides other than IASW, then you dont have to worry about dealing with fast passes. Mid Jan the park wont be filling to capacity for worries about MK closing. A one day ticket will be expensive due to the fact that you are paying for a day but not taking advantage of so much the park has to offer to get the full value of it. Disney doesnt give any seniors discounts but you may find some offers from seniors groups you may belong to. If you are so confused that you need more help there are multiple sites available for seniors traveling to WDW with tips, or your local travel agent may give you some free advice for a day trip, even without booking a package with them. Meals at WDW are costly so check restaurant menus online to get an idea of where you want to dine, what items are available and the prices in advance.

Upvote 0

dreaming

Original Poster
If you are only going for one day, not doing the rides other than IASW, then you dont have to worry about dealing with fast passes. Mid Jan the park wont be filling to capacity for worries about MK closing. A one day ticket will be expensive due to the fact that you are paying for a day but not taking advantage of so much the park has to offer to get the full value of it. Disney doesnt give any seniors discounts but you may find some offers from seniors groups you may belong to. If you are so confused that you need more help there are multiple sites available for seniors traveling to WDW with tips, or your local travel agent may give you some free advice for a day trip, even without booking a package with them. Meals at WDW are costly so check restaurant menus online to get an idea of where you want to dine, what items are available and the prices in advance.
Thank you so much.
I thought I had googled and googled. Haven't found anything with seniors traveling. I'll continue. I remember years ago when we went there was a site on which many people discussed pricing, restaurants, everything in detail. Still looking.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

OP, I would go to a Disney travel agent and have them help you set it all up. They take the worry out of it. However, for one day, maybe not? My husband and I are "seniors" and we use a travel agent who is mostly Disney. We stay for 8 to 10 days at a time. Her help is invaluable to us. For one day and not doing the most popular rides, you might not need anything other than to get there at opening, which is usually slower time of day. I hope you find the advice you are looking for!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

OP, I would go to a Disney travel agent and have them help you set it all up. They take the worry out of it. However, for one day, maybe not? My husband and I are "seniors" and we use a travel agent who is mostly Disney. We stay for 8 to 10 days at a time. Her help is invaluable to us. For one day and not doing the most popular rides, you might not need anything other than to get there at opening, which is usually slower time of day. I hope you find the advice you are looking for!

Just wanted to chime in and second this advice. An official Disney travel agent's services are FREE, and can take the worry and stress out of your planning.

Upvote 0

dreaming

Original Poster
Minnesota disney fan and Weather_Lady,
Thanks so much. I googled and found Disney travel agents online. Is this what you use or someone local to you?
JIMINNYCR, thank you as well. I am googling for senior tips.

Upvote 0

Disorbust

I have taken my senior parents to WDW many times and there are plenty of attractions besides Small World that you can enjoy. If you are really going for one day you need to figure out which park you all would like to see. Really look at the attractions, and see what everyone would like to do. My Mom rode Flight of Passage at 85 without difficulty and she goes to the parks in a wheelchair. Really the only attractions I would stay away from for your group woud be the coasters.

Magic Kingdom is always crowded, but doable , but doesn't necessarily have the best restaurants.
Epcot is the choice of most Seniors, even though there are not alot of attractions there is a wide variety of restaurants. Don't even hesitate to ride Soaring! You party could also do Spaceship Earth, not sure if it will be in rehab though, Living with the land and even Frozen. Test Track is " fast and bumpy" and can be difficult to get in/out of ride vehicle.World Showcase is also good for "walking around".

Where ever you choose be prepared for ALOT of walking. Fell free to message me if you have any questions that I could help you with. My favorite site for research is allearsnet.com. I think what you will find it is hard to plan "one" day at Walt Disney World, any chance you would do longer?

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Minnesota disney fan and Weather_Lady,
Thanks so much. I googled and found Disney travel agents online. Is this what you use or someone local to you?
JIMINNYCR, thank you as well. I am googling for senior tips.
I'm glad you found the TA's online:) I use a local one who is fabulous. She looks for deals for us and helps in so many ways. I might google senior travel tips too!

Upvote 0

dreaming

Original Poster
I have taken my senior parents to WDW many times and there are plenty of attractions besides Small World that you can enjoy. If you are really going for one day you need to figure out which park you all would like to see. Really look at the attractions, and see what everyone would like to do. My Mom rode Flight of Passage at 85 without difficulty and she goes to the parks in a wheelchair. Really the only attractions I would stay away from for your group woud be the coasters.

Magic Kingdom is always crowded, but doable , but doesn't necessarily have the best restaurants.
Epcot is the choice of most Seniors, even though there are not alot of attractions there is a wide variety of restaurants. Don't even hesitate to ride Soaring! You party could also do Spaceship Earth, not sure if it will be in rehab though, Living with the land and even Frozen. Test Track is " fast and bumpy" and can be difficult to get in/out of ride vehicle.World Showcase is also good for "walking around".

Where ever you choose be prepared for ALOT of walking. Fell free to message me if you have any questions that I could help you with. My favorite site for research is allearsnet.com. I think what you will find it is hard to plan "one" day at Walt Disney World, any chance you would do longer?
Disorbust,
Thank you so much for all this info. The last trip to WDW for us was 30 years ago. We want to just "feel" it one more time. I think one day is all we'll be able to do. I am going to check into all those rides you mentioned. Do they still have the electric parade in the evening? We haven't even discussed parking among our group. I'm certain it will have issues to factor in.

Upvote 0

Disorbust

Since you haven't been in 30 years many things have changed and there more parks, resorts and restaurants. Unfortunately to many of our here dismay the night time parade is no longer. It sounds like you are commited to Magic Kingdom. As I mentioned many of the rides are doable unless someone in your party has mobility issues getting in and out of the ride vehicle. For example Small world as a boat ride has low seats and you have to step "down" into the boat. My parents were able to get in/out with me holding a hand and help get in and out and using the back rest of the bench in front of you.

Rides at Magic Kingdom
Pirates, boat ride same loading as Small World
Aladin Spinner: Easy in and out but if someone has problems with dizziness or motion sickness may be an issue
Haunter mansion Easy in and out HOWEVER is a moving people mover to get in/out, may be an issue if you have balance issues or use cane etc. Again my parents were able to do this in their 80's with minimal assistance.
Hall of Presidents: Show no problems
Small Worldas described
Peter Pan: Same loading/unloading as Haunterd Mansion.
Mickey's Philharmagic A Show, no problems with in/out.
Pooh, same as Peter Pan Easy in/out however does have a people mover.
Dumbo, Spinner like Aladin
Tomorrow Land Transit Aurthority Elevated ride thru tomorrowland, has a people mover to enter the vehicle, same as described for Haunted Mansion
Laugh Floor, Show no problems.
Buzz light year, arcade stly ride: Same in/out as MAnsion with the people mover.

So as long as you party is able to navigate getting in out of a ride vehicle from a slow moving people mover most these are all very doable.

What day to pick? Try to stay away from days when there are extra magic hours for resort guests. Stay away from the weekends if you can and the friday and monady of MLK weekend.

Something to consider would be doing the special ticket event of Night time magic. They say it start at 7pm but I believe and would have to confirm they will let you in at 4pm. If so you could plan to enter at according to Tullavu it statrts at 7pm do the attractions that are not running during Night Time magic that your intereseted in, watch the fireworks and then have the park with much lower crowds. The drawback is if the weather sucks, your stuck.

Here is the link to look at this:

Just looking at the dates this is available, January 23 looks like a good choice. You could plan on doing a nice lunch at one of the monorail resorts and then take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. The other advantage would be that you could park at one of these resorts.

Parking at any of the parks: There is handicap parking, however where ever you park you have
a short walk to to the tram that takes you to the entrance. At MAgic you will have to take the monorail or Ferry to the entrance.

Are you Florida Residents? I know you said you are only looking at one day but I have to through this into the mix lol. The have a special 3 day ticket.

It would really give you the opprtunity to see all the parks at a very nice pace. Your party would love Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Please really consider it. I think you may kick yourselves if you only go one day to magic kingdom. Really my parents have travelled all over the world and in their old age they enjoy Disneyworld the most because it so handicapped friendly and can be very laid back if you have the time.

Sorry if this post if overwehlming , like you are planning the D day invasion, but there are many of us here that can help you through it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid is also an easy one with the loading like Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion

Other shows to consider: Country Bears, Tiki Birds

Jungle cruise might be hard to get onto depending on steadiness as it's a boat, but that might be an option too.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Something to consider would be doing the special ticket event of Night time magic. They say it start at 7pm but I believe and would have to confirm they will let you in at 4pm. If so you could plan to enter at 4pm do the attractions that are not running during Night Time magic that your intereseted in, watch the fireworks and then have the park with much lower crowds. The drawback is if the weather sucks, your stuck.

Here is the link to look at this:
IMPORTANT

Disney After Hours at MK begins at either 9 pm or 10 pm (depending on date selected) and ends three hours later. A ticket allows entry as early as 7 pm, not 4 pm.

Upvote 0

Simba’s Mom

And if you go to AK or Disney Springs, Rainforest claims to give an AARP discount (I haven't tried it yet). And Jungle Cruise has grab bars for getting on/off the boat.
Also, at MK, enjoy Mickey's Philharmonic show. And be sure to get your pictures taken with the characters. I took Mom at about your age, and beforehand she said she had no interest in seeing the characters. But when she got there, a group of characters came out and she was so excited-I couldn't find her in the crowd, and when I did, I found that she was running around, seeing how many characters she could get a picture with. Her smile was priceless!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom