Walt Disney World 2022 and Beyond

MJL92

Original Poster
Opinions of all of the new park projects (and what each has replaced) aside, I think most people are pleased with the volume of rides/attractions/lands Disney has in the works or recently completed over the last 5 year period (2017-2021). Each park has gotten attention, and though I think most would argue Magic Kingdom deserved more, MK did get the new fantasyland expansion earlier in the decade.

Looking further back though, there was a bit of a quiet period in the later part of the 2000s after we got Soarin' and Everest, and then in the earlier part of that decade after the late 90s gave us Rockin Roller Coaster, Buzz, Test Track, on top of the Animal Kingdom.

With all that being said, once we pass the 50th anniversary of WDW, it feels like Disney is going to back off a bit, despite Universal's new park and the upcoming 25th anniversary of AK.

Maybe I've missed some news and rumors, and there's obviously plenty of time for them to announce new projects as the current slate is completed, but it feels like another long quiet period is coming.

Has anyone heard or seen anything to either confirm or deny this? What are we expecting to pop up in the pipeline once all the current dust settles?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just about everything that has been revealed by trusted insiders has come to pass or is in process of being worked on. And just about everything we know still to come/finish is designed to be ready for MK's/WDW's 50th Anniversary.

No trusted insider is proclaiming a big, new and greenlit project for after the 50th (which is still a year and a half away). So, we pretty much know everything up to 2022.

Sure, insiders say there are discussions about new projects (north of Kali, Dino re-do, new land in DHS, Imagination re-do, Coco ride, unnamed "black box" screen ride, etc...). But, they've been talked about for years and their actual status is unknown... and probably is unknown for Disney, too, at this point.

The 50th Anniversary and the supposed retirement of Iger seems like a time to stop and breathe before taking the next step.

See my sig for a link to the rumors.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
As the person who scours the forums for these rumors, (and for anyone else reading this):

"If I had to put money on one big project for Disney after the 50th celebration is complete, it would be _____________"

...a new night parade for the Magic Kingdom

Fastpass+ changes?

LiterallyNobody

I have seen files and have seen bids on some things that are in the late planning stages for 3 years+, but nothing that I know of has been awarded yet. What I have seen looks exciting, but until I see signatures on paper, I won't say anything more.

No cryptic messages either until I see things more solid.

All that said, I may have something cool to talk about early 2020. :D

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Let me link a thread confirming this:

Half day of 8th grade today Brayden?

justintheharris

I would bet on a Magic Kingdom expansion probably on the west side as a response to Epic Universe and probably followed by Zootopia in Animal Kingdom. And again, I get it. This forum hates Zootopia in Animal Kingdom. Just as much as they hate... pretty much everything else new in Disney. But the forum's opinion doesn't change the fact that I think it's going to happen.

djkidkaz

I think there is also an element of Disney wants to have all these projects opened and be the focus of the 50th. You don't want to have all these unannounced projects that are coming that people will be like "Oh this 50th would be cool, but lets wait just another year or two and then we can see new project X." The money has been spent, all of these additions are what we are getting for the 50th, it will be a time to celebrate all of those things and as the 50th winds down is when you say "Hey, look what the future now holds!"

Cmdr_Crimson

Why don't we just wait until the 2021 D23 Expo instead......
Related image

Crazydisneyfanluke

Opinions of all of the new park projects (and what each has replaced) aside, I think most people are pleased with the volume of rides/attractions/lands Disney has in the works or recently completed over the last 5 year period (2017-2021). Each park has gotten attention, and though I think most would argue Magic Kingdom deserved more, MK did get the new fantasyland expansion earlier in the decade.

Looking further back though, there was a bit of a quiet period in the later part of the 2000s after we got Soarin' and Everest, and then in the earlier part of that decade after the late 90s gave us Rockin Roller Coaster, Buzz, Test Track, on top of the Animal Kingdom.

With all that being said, once we pass the 50th anniversary of WDW, it feels like Disney is going to back off a bit, despite Universal's new park and the upcoming 25th anniversary of AK.

Maybe I've missed some news and rumors, and there's obviously plenty of time for them to announce new projects as the current slate is completed, but it feels like another long quiet period is coming.

Has anyone heard or seen anything to either confirm or deny this? What are we expecting to pop up in the pipeline once all the current dust settles?
EPCOT Re-do is expected to go past 2022. While the majority of it will be open by 2022 (EPCOT 40th), there is supposed to be phase 2 and maybe phase 3 (Imagination)

Last I saw Imagination might go down after SSE comes back online.

There was something about a new monorail resort (2024+), but I haven't seen that rumor in a while.

For the new Universal Park, everything at WDW will have/had or be getting a refurb here in the future, plus the new rides that are coming. A new park does not mean less business for Disney, it just means people have to stay an extra day to do all 8 theme parks and 5 water parks. (9 theme parks and 4 water parks according to Universal :rolleyes:)

As for the other Disney parks and resorts after 2021, I haven't seen much.

DCL is getting new boats and a new Island, which might be taking a hefty budget from the Parks and Consumer Goods department.

No Name

I would bet on a Magic Kingdom expansion probably on the west side as a response to Epic Universe and probably followed by Zootopia in Animal Kingdom. And again, I get it. This forum hates Zootopia in Animal Kingdom. Just as much as they hate... pretty much everything else new in Disney. But the forum's opinion doesn't change the fact that I think it's going to happen.

People hate Zootopia in Animal Kingdom because the movie is about human social issues, using animals purely as an analogy for humans to make the movie family-friendly. It is not about animals, nature, conservation, etc. Anyone who understands theme parks understands that Zootopia doesn’t fit in DAK. Instead of making false generalizations about people hating everything, try explaining why you think Zootopia fits.

Zootopia is one of my favorite movies of all time by the way.

RSoxNo1

People hate Zootopia in Animal Kingdom because the movie is about human social issues, using animals purely as an analogy for humans to make the movie family-friendly. It is not about animals, nature, conservation, etc. Anyone who understands theme parks understands that Zootopia doesn’t fit in DAK. Instead of making false generalizations about people hating everything, try explaining why you think Zootopia fits.

Zootopia is one of my favorite movies of all time by the way.
Joe Rohde shot down Zootopia in DAK, that should hopefully put an end to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom