News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

Stripes

Disney has been purchasing a lot of land recently, and as far as I’m aware they haven‘t applied for offsets yet. Perhaps they’re waiting to gather enough land to make a move? The RCID 2020 report should be interesting.

wdwfan4ver

If that’s your metric you should know that studios and Epcot don’t have 10 rides either.
You did not count the rides under construction for Epcot. I looked at how the parks are going to be in terms of rides after Construction is done with Epcot.

When 2020 ends, Epcot is going to have 10 rides due to Remy's Ratatouille adventure. 2021 is when the Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind opens with it being 11 rides. I count Test track, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Soarin around the World, Mission: Space, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind, Remy's Ratatouille adventure, Journey into imagination with Figment, Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Frozen Ever After as rides for Epcot.

When it is all done, Epcot has 11 rides like I listed. I know Remy's Ratatouille adventure and Gauaridans of Galaxy Cosmic Rewind are not open yet, but they need to be counted for amount of rides.

I knew Studios does not have 10 rides, but I did not mention it because of Seascape already mentioned it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney has been purchasing a lot of land recently, and as far as I’m aware they haven‘t applied for offsets yet. Perhaps they’re waiting to gather enough land to make a move? The RCID 2020 report should be interesting.

I have to look back through the water management permits to check this. The big purchase they did a couple years ago was used for offsets for the land by DHS. Not sure about the more recent ones.

MerlinTheGoat

How many unthemed low end Marriotts will that be able to hold?

giphy.gif

DDLand

Everyone is taking this with a healthy grain of salt. I am surprised that Walt Disney World’s biggest geographic expansion hasn’t been mentioned. Just south of this new parcel, Disney has created a massive 270 acre new solar farm. While Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora are more exciting, the solar farm has involved clearing the most land in decades. It’s quietly been taking shape on the western side of the resort. I wouldn’t be shocked if many guests never know about this project (not to be confused with the ugly Mickey by Epcot that is a fraction of the size).

Now its proximity to the solar project is interesting. Not necessarily definitive, but it seems the two might be related. These are my guesses for the property...

1) Disney saw the property for sale at a good price. Disney or the RCID pull the trigger and buy the property. It may never be developed, but it’s useful to own for proper wildlife and water management. Disney constantly has to balance worries of flooding when developing. Bringing this property in (that abuts a lake) helps them manage water. It was a small price to pay for greater flexibility. This might have been spurred by the solar farm. Development nearby might have put a strain on drainage.
2) The solar farm is being expanded and adjacent space will be included. Before retirement, Iger will announce a commitment to be a carbon neutral by x year. With this solar expansion and other efforts, WDW will be completely powered by onsite renewables. Or something to that effect. They have some new show buildings they can use too!

Those are my guesses. They really shouldn’t need more offsets to expand existing parks.

Stripes

I have to look back through the water management permits to check this. The big purchase they did a couple years ago was used for offsets for the land by DHS. Not sure about the more recent ones.
Do you happen to remember how big the purchase was a couple years ago? Between this, the BK ranch, and adjacent property, Disney has purchased almost 2,800 acres in the past year alone.

Edit: Never mind. You were probably referring to the Mira Lago purchase.

Last edited:

Stripes

Bursting at the seams? Have you ever seen Disneyland?
True. But I doubt Disney wants their Orlando parks to resemble anything like the crowd situation at Disneyland, specifically Disneyland Park (California Adventure is much better when it comes to crowds).

The crowds at DL are often unbearable. I understand there’s not much they can do other than set a lower capacity, but it’s gotten to the point where we find DCA much more enjoyable simply because the crowds are decent in comparison.

wishiwere@wdw

I know absolutely nothing but my gut tells me this is all about the buffer zone. That property is extremely close to not only the magic kingdom and resort area but also the solar farm as others have mentioned. With the surge of development, I could see Disney not wanting neighbors there. Already seeing complaints about firework fallout as it is. So much for the blessing of size 😢

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At some point you have to add parks if you want to increase attendance. No matter how many attractions you add to an existing park, at some point the walkways can't handle any more. On the more crowded days, just walking around MK now is miserable. To the point that on a hot, crowded day in July, I would avoid MK even if I had a super FP that allowed me to go to the FP line of every ride whenever I want.

MK is over capacity. The other three are not.

Just using very rough numbers to make a point: MK has as many rides as the other three put together -- 27 v 9 v 9 v 9. And that is the most likely the reason why that MK is over capacity (plus, it has a higher percentage of more family-friendly rides). So even though DAK has a zoo and EPCOT has WorldXs and DHS has shows... rides are king for attracting people, especially repeat guests.

So, WDW needs to continue to add rides to "the other three" until they are just as attractive as the MK is. And they need to do that before a fifth gate.

Consider this: if they build a fifth gate starting out with five lands and two rides in each land... then it would only have as many rides as "the other three." Which means it wouldn't have the pulling power to draw people from overcrowded MK.

Rich Brownn

Just using very rough numbers to make a point: MK has as many rides as the other three put together -- 27 v 9 v 9 v 9. And that is the most likely the reason why that MK is over capacity (plus, it has a higher percentage of more family-friendly rides). So even though DAK has a zoo and EPCOT has WorldXs and DHS has shows... rides are king for attracting people, especially repeat guests.

So, WDW needs to continue to add rides to "the other three" until they are just as attractive as the MK is. And they need to do that before a fifth gate.

Consider this: if they build a fifth gate starting out with five lands and two rides in each land... then it would only have as many rides as "the other three." Which means it wouldn't have the pulling power to draw people from overcrowded MK.
No matter how many rides they add to other parks, the Magic Kingdom will always draw more. Its because its the park people think of when they think of Disney World. (That and Nostalgia). What's made it worse is over the years they've upped the cut-off point to stop admitting people while not making any significant changes to RPH.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m interested in hearing you define “over capacity”

...the reality is they can fit MANY more in each park...and since they have increased the prices to the point that will continually shrink off property demand...”capacity” won’t really be a problem necessitating another gate.

Daily attendance isn’t the metric to watch anyway on this...it’s average length of stay and expenditure per guest per day that would really be the only factor in such a huge, overhead laden, profit diluting proposition

KevinPage

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I got @realBobChapek sloshed the other night (only took 2 Shirley Temples & he sang like a canary).

This will be the evil robots’ dream park:

- no actual physical rides or attractions
- every night is a hard ticket event
- all fireworks/shows are projection based
- daily new pin releases
- weekly new cupcake variations
- janitorial staff will use half their time to sing/dance but receive no equity pay (too bad if the garbage cans overflow, projection mapping will cover up the mess)

Current counter measures are to fly in @marni1971 and use his superior British wit & vernacular to talk some sense into this fool 💂🏻‍♂️💂🏻‍♂️💂🏻‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom