Please don't be this Candlelight choir parent!

CastChoir

Original Poster
I have been a member of the Disney Cast Choir in Walt Disney World for the past few years. I love to sing, and being up there in the tree is very special to me. But every show of every year I see the same disturbing behavior, and I really wish you'll all help me spread the word.

As the choir finishes The Hallelujah Chorus, parents of the guest choirs (gold robes) start to walk out to meet congratulate their little darlings over a performance well done. This despite the fact that the cast choir, Voices of Liberty, a 52-piece orchestra, and conductor are all still on stage performing. This is EXTREMELY rude. I doubt you'd be happy if other guests acted the same way in your home theater. The orchestra and cast choir rehearse for months to get the show "just right." The least you could do would be to sit down quietly until the entire performance is complete. The other night a large, burly man stood up and applauded his little darling LOUDLY, hooting and whistling as she came off stage. That is the HEIGHT of rudeness, and I'm betting his little darling was embarrassed by his behavior.

Please, folks, be respectful to the entire performance, and stay in your seats until ALL the performers leave the stage. Your little darlings have to go back stage and turn in their robes before you can see them; let them go.

If I seem angry, it's only because I'm frustrated that I have seen this happen show after show, year after year. If you agree that it's rude, please spread the word in other Disney World forums.

p.s. It is choral tradition all over the world to stand during The Hallelujah Chorus.

plutofan15

I have been a member of the Disney Cast Choir in Walt Disney World for the past few years. I love to sing, and being up there in the tree is very special to me. But every show of every year I see the same disturbing behavior, and I really wish you'll all help me spread the word.

As the choir finishes The Hallelujah Chorus, parents of the guest choirs (gold robes) start to walk out to meet congratulate their little darlings over a performance well done. This despite the fact that the cast choir, Voices of Liberty, a 52-piece orchestra, and conductor are all still on stage performing. This is EXTREMELY rude. I doubt you'd be happy if other guests acted the same way in your home theater. The orchestra and cast choir rehearse for months to get the show "just right." The least you could do would be to sit down quietly until the entire performance is complete. The other night a large, burly man stood up and applauded his little darling LOUDLY, hooting and whistling as she came off stage. That is the HEIGHT of rudeness, and I'm betting his little darling was embarrassed by his behavior.

Please, folks, be respectful to the entire performance, and stay in your seats until ALL the performers leave the stage. Your little darlings have to go back stage and turn in their robes before you can see them; let them go.

If I seem angry, it's only because I'm frustrated that I have seen this happen show after show, year after year. If you agree that it's rude, please spread the word in other Disney World forums.

p.s. It is choral tradition all over the world to stand during The Hallelujah Chorus.

I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, this happens all over the place when people are concerned with only their little darlings and nobody else. It occurs every year at my daughter's dance recitals when the girls take the stage prior to their dance beginning and adults yell out their superstars names, hoot , holler and whistle.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, this happens all over the place when people are concerned with only their little darlings and nobody else. It occurs every year at my daughter's dance recitals when the girls take the stage prior to their dance beginning and adults yell out their superstars names, hoot , holler and whistle.
...and high school and college graduations, too.

JIMINYCR

Yes its rude, yes its frustrating, yes its annoying, but you are dealing with parents of kids. They are excited that their kids were invited to perform, they performed well, and it was at Disney. Us passing the word isnt going to change a thing. Someone from Disney thats in control of the performance needs to explain at rehearsal, to the leader of the group who has control, the kids and their parents what the appropriate behavior should be at that point of the performance. Then a stern reminder on the day of the performance when they gather to prepare to start.

RobWDW1971

I understand your frustration. But there's likely no chance of it changing. Try going to a high school graduation. No amount of announcements or threats stop parents from going crazy when their kid’s name is called.
It's just another form of the epidemic of Societal Narcissism - my generation was raised with the now outdated concept of "the greater good", unfortunately today it is all about "my rights".

Regardless of the impact on others and their experience, we now get Brazilians chanting and clapping as loudly as possible, giant scooters plowing through areas designed for pedestrians, fake service animals pooping in park planters, kids screaming and having public meltdowns while parents righteously defend it, people standing in front of those sitting that had waited for parades/fireworks, etc, etc. Disney parks are an unfortunate mirror to our eroding concept of society.

Old man "get off my lawn" rant over.

(But seriously, get off my lawn)

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It's just another form of the epidemic of Societal Narcissism - my generation was raised with the now outdated concept of "the greater good", unfortunately today it is all about "my rights". Regardless of the impact on others and their experience, we now get Brazilians chanting and clapping as loudly as possible, giant scooters plowing through areas designed for pedestrians, fake service animals pooping in park planters, kids screaming and having public meltdowns while parents righteously defend it, people standing in front of those sitting that had waited for parades/fireworks, etc, etc. Disney parks are an unfortunate mirror to our eroding concept of society.

Old man "get off my lawn" rant over.

(But seriously, get off my lawn)
Indeed. The "social contract" has devolved into a "social disease."

JoeCamel

Sorry but as a professional I would hope you understand the crowd and accept that this happens without it affecting your performance. Nothing you can control and your message on a WDW centric site is not likely to reach your intended audience no matter how many "spread the word". I would never presume to tell someone they were being rude by caring more about their little prince/princess more than the performance. Just not the reality of the situation. Hope you are not looking for a perfect world, we haven't found it yet.

DisAl

Sorry but as a professional I would hope you understand the crowd and accept that this happens without it affecting your performance. Nothing you can control and your message on a WDW centric site is not likely to reach your intended audience no matter how many "spread the word". I would never presume to tell someone they were being rude by caring more about their little prince/princess more than the performance. Just not the reality of the situation. Hope you are not looking for a perfect world, we haven't found it yet.
It would be so nice though to be able to enjoy the whole performance without the stupid behavior from those from the shallow end of the gene pool.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It would be so nice though to be able to enjoy the whole performance without the stupid behavior from those from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Well, we know how they handle stupid behavior on the rides... they install lap bars and seat belts.

Maybe it's time for seat belts in the theater, too.

Editor516

I agree with the OP 100 percent. My family and I have seen the CP over the past 20 or so years, and this problem has gotten worse over the last 8 or so.

As soon as the celebrity narrator leaves and the exit processional starts, people stand up, blocking the views of people farther back. They start talking, loudly in some cases. They seem to think the show is over and they act that way. It was so bad during the 12/13 (Gary Sinise) show we saw that I wished an announcement was made.

I’m not sure if it’s the parents who are behaving this way, or people who think the show is over when the celebrity leaves the podium, or people who want to beat the exiting crowd, or... I don’t know, some other reason. Whatever it is, it never used to be this bad and I wish it would stop.

Phil12

You need to change the performance to meet the needs of the audience. It's not about you, the Disney Cast Choir, the Voices of Liberty or the orchestra. You're there to entertain the audience. If you're unable to hold the attention of the audience, then the show needs to be changed, reduced in length or cancelled. Don't blame the audience for poor programing decisions.

cmwade77

You need to change the performance to meet the needs of the audience. It's not about you, the Disney Cast Choir, the Voices of Liberty or the orchestra. You're there to entertain the audience. If you're unable to hold the attention of the audience, then the show needs to be changed, reduced in length or cancelled. Don't blame the audience for poor programing decisions.
This has nothing to do with the programming, but about bad audience behavior. It happens in live theater too, you should remain in your seats (aside from giving a standing ovation) until after the final curtain call. Additionally, you should NEVER show up late and in fact they shouldn't even admit anyone after the performance has started. Again, it is plain rude to interrupt others enjoyment of the show by walking in front of them because you came in late. I can understand if you have to rush to the bathroom, but arriving late is completely avoidable.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just make sure if you tell them they don't go all Randy Marsh on you...

dd8.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well... yes... but... the music that is being sung while the kids are leaving are the kind of phoned-in mash-up of secular Christmas music songs sung mostly in unison.

That's not a performance worth sitting through... sorry to say. But the best singers in the world singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" in unison doesn't sound any better then a bunch of amateurs singing it. The whole performance had been sacred music with choral arrangements. That's worth being glued to one's seat for. It's glorious.

But when the guest narrator leaves and there's a bunch of throw-away Christmas kitsch songs... it's just traveling music. Disney's own stream of the CP cuts out as that ending section starts. Disney walks out at that point.

So, really, it's the show's creative staff that has designated the recessional as background music. It's not you... it's your repertoire at that point which drives people to leave. If you had launched into "For Unto Us a Child is Born," you bet people would stay.

But, to the stage parents: your kid is being led off back stage through the WS promenade which completely stops traffic on both sides of the theater. You won't even get a chance to get near them as they're processing out. And that's a good reason for everyone to stay... you can't go anywhere until all the kids have crossed the promenade.

And to my friend who asked why we stood at the Hallelujah Chorus, I replied, "Because we're citizens of Western Civilization. And if you don't know why we're standing, then you need to sue the college that gave you your liberal arts degree for your money back."

mj2v

I had to speak with a few of the parents last year. They were talking loudly for the first few minutes. I have them a little to settle in, then politely asked for them to keep their voices down.

I never will understand the need to speak when there is a live performance going on. Enjoy what’s happening. Be in the moment. Respect others, but especially the performers.

unmitigated disaster

And to my friend who asked why we stood at the Hallelujah Chorus, I replied, "Because we're citizens of Western Civilization. And if you don't know why we're standing, then you need to sue the college that gave you your liberal arts degree for your money back."
People stand because of a possibly apocryphal story about King George II standing. Not really much of a reason.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
...and high school and college graduations, too.
You have never experienced a high school graduation until you have been to one devoid of all of that BS.

My youngest graduated from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts last year and they have been able to achieve what they call a silent graduation.

Having been through 2 other kids as well as my own graduation, it seems like all schools try to pull this off only to fail miserably. Once one family cheers, the flood gates open for the rest and the reading of names devolves into a cacophony of woos, applause, and cheering.

We made it through all 200 +/- names without a peep from the audience. Let me tell you, it was a thing of beauty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom