News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

They are clearly just trying whatever they can think of to see what works. Personally I hope this does. Opening early and opening BGs at the same time created a mess where arriving as early as possible ensured a BG. I’m sure they looked ahead to next week and realized this would mean guests arriving at 3 am, which is not a sustainable situation.

It’s much more reasonable to allow guests in when there are enough guests filling the entry and then allow everyone to grab a BG at the announced time. Now, anyone can follow Disney’s posted hours and use their transportation to arrive on time for a BG. Much better. Will be curious to see if it holds.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So you shift the 430 crowds to 6:30 it’s the same number of people. They’ll still let you in early but you can’t do anything. Not sure of why this wasn’t done in the first place. Oh that’s right they weren’t ready yet.

People will still know they need to be in the park when bgs open. They will still try to be there before opening...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think it very easily could have been worse though. 8 hour standby queues, no bathrooms, people stuck in line while ride is broken, etc.
Oh absolutely, it could have been worse, but that shouldn't be the bar. I don't think this disastrous and I am sure the kinks will be worked out in due time but some of the reports for the first week were very telling on how this attraction wasn't quite ready for the public.

TPSou

So we're going to Florida tomorrow (won't be in the parks until midday on Friday) and I'm guessing if we get to Hollywood studios at 12 or so on Friday there's zero chance of riding Rise of the Resistance?

If we go back on Saturday morning (we're staying at Beach Club so can just walk over) what time should we aim to get to the park to definitely get in, 6? Or earlier?

disneygeek90

So we're going to Florida tomorrow (won't be in the parks until midday on Friday) and I'm guessing if we get to Hollywood studios at 12 or so on Friday there's zero chance of riding Rise of the Resistance?

If we go back on Saturday morning (we're staying at Beach Club so can just walk over) what time should we aim to get to the park to definitely get in, 6? Or earlier?
Yeah, basically a zero chance of Friday. Keep an eye on this thread the next few mornings. Today, there was virtually no advantage of parking at 4:15 vs parking at 6:15.

hokielutz

I tend to agree if we accept that 12/5 was mandated. Waiting until January would’ve been cleaner but they have done exceptionally well given the decree from Bob.

Of course 12/5 was mandated. Waiting till January was a non starter because Disney wanted one of their SWGE lands fully operational ahead of the release of Episode 9 in order to build momentum to the movie open. If they pushed back on that schedule... it would've been a media PR disaster for them. But despite not having CM & AP previews, things seem to be going well as could be expected for the first couple weeks of operation for a complicated attraction.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I really hope they figure this out before our trip in February, but needless to say, they weren't prepared operationally for this attraction.
I don’t understand what you think they haven’t figured out. They have an attraction with demand well beyond its physical capacity and then had a system and tool ready to go when it opened to manage the demand. Every single guest is on exactly the same even playing field and no group is advantaged over any other. That seems like the best possible scenario they could create to me.
It seems that all of those who keep incessantly complaining about this feel they should have some special advantage and are upset they do not. The early reliability issues make it clear opening FP would have been a train wreck and forcing people to stand in an 8 hour line so they might be able to ride is ridiculous. This seems the very best scenario to deal with the crazy demand.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don’t understand what you think they haven’t figured out. They have an attraction with demand well beyond its physical capacity and then had a system and tool ready to go when it opened to manage the demand. Every single guest is on exactly the same even playing field and no group is advantaged over any other. That seems like the best possible scenario they could create to me.
It seems that all of those who keep incessantly complaining about this feel they should have had some special advantage and are upset they they do not. The early reliability issues make it clear opening FP would have been a train wreck and forcing people to stand in an 8 hour line so they might be able to ride is ridiculous. This seems the very best scenario to deal with the crazy demand.
Again, I'm not concerned with the ride itself, it was to be expected to have downtime.

But really think about, if you weren't on a message board like we are nearly every day and read live blog reports, if we didn't follow Twitter feeds, etc, the average guest would really have no clue how the process works from day to day because it changes nearly every day. To me that's an Ops group that is doing this on the fly, because they weren't given the proper time to draw out a proper plan.

I simply stated, that I hope a firm plan is in place by February, and I feel confident that they will.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Waiting till January was a non starter because Disney wanted one of their SWGE lands fully operational ahead of the release of Episode 9 in order to build momentum to the movie open

Talk about the tail wagging the dog..

Have you seen any national press or TV coverage of RoTR being open besides opening day stuff? Disney is plastering the airwaves with Skywalker ads... they don't need a theme park pumping it.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Again, I'm not concerned with the ride itself, it was to be expected to have downtime.

But really think about, if you weren't on a message board like we are nearly every day and read live blog reports, if we didn't follow Twitter feeds, etc, the average guest would really have no clue how the process works from day to day because it changes nearly every day. To me that's an Ops group that is doing this on the fly, because they weren't given the proper time to draw out a proper plan.

Or, it’s an OPS team that is learning and adapting to changing conditions each and every day as they happen to continuously improve things. Some have made it clear that no matter what Disney did, it disadvantaged them but that whine is getting kind of old at this point. It has ALWAYS been the case that you need to get there early to get on the popular new attraction and this is no different.
People keep complaining they don’t communicate but nobody has suggested how they should actually do that so all guests on property and off get the same info. It continues to seem that people want some advantage given to resort guests. That will come soon enough when FP kicks in and AP and off property visitors are all but locked out of experiencing it. Right now EVERYONE is equal and I believe that’s the right way to do it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Or, it’s an OPS team that is learning and adapting to changing conditions each and every day as they happen to continuously improve things. Some have made it clear that no matter what Disney did, it disadvantaged them but that whine is getting kind of old at this point. It has ALWAYS been the case that you need to get there early to get on the popular new attraction and this is no different.
People keep complaining they don’t communicate but nobody has suggested how they should actually do that so all guests on property and off get the same info. It continues to seem that people want some advantage given to resort guests. That will come soon enough when FP kicks in and AP and off property visitors are all but locked out of experiencing it. Right now EVERYONE is equal and I believe that’s the right way to do it.
What conditions are changing? Also its not my job as a paying customer (Many dollars over the years) to suggest how a Disney Ops team should change things for the better.

If you follow any of my posts, I lean much on the positive side, but when I see a flaw I don't hesitate to call that out, nor should anyone. Let's not be naive and think his has been a flawless opening.

Last edited:

Rider

No it's in studio. Vanna is hosting (since this is while Pat had that surgery) and Mickey and Minnie are doing the Vanna role.

All the vacation prizes are Disney (trips to CA, FL, and HI) and every episode they promote SWGE and the two rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom