Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

Mickeyboof

It’s kind of annoying that we have to pick certain seats or sections on rides now to accomodate some of the newer flawed technology i.e the middle section on Soarin Around the World or the Eiffel Tower is crooked. I realize its hard to avoid as there are sometimes very few ways (Or only one way) to pull off an effect or just something like the illusion of being in space. Even though I think the classics like POTC and HM will never be topped I also concede that they need to keep pushing the envelope technologically. As great as POTC is, I’m not sure if a similar attraction released today would still receive the same appreciation. Currently, attractions like ROTR and Shanghai Pirates are the best we can hope for when it comes to E tickets a la POTC with great scope and scale but pretty good tech too. The marriage still isn’t perfect but I imagine one day it will be.

Something that makes the old classics like POTC and HM so great is because they stick to practical effects for the most part and stick to one medium to tell the story. It’s the consistency that keeps us locked into the world they re presenting. On newer rides with more “advanced tech” or where they have to use a screen for whatever reason it immediately takes one out of the suspension of disbelief. For example seeing huge AT ATs but then immediately before or after going into a room with 4 stormtroopers on screens. Or going between two huge ships on Shangai Pirates only to see Jack and Davy Jones dueling on a screen. IMO you should at all costs keep the integrity of the entire “show” before one action scene that someone may think is 100% necessary to include. There didn’t have to be a dueling scene. And if there did, then they should find a way to make dueling AAs be convincing enough.

The hologram looks fine from the sides of the room, that’s where I stood the second time. Didn’t notice a difference. The room is large enough that you don’t have to “try” to stand anywhere specifically.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The hologram looks fine from the sides of the room, that’s where I stood the second time. Didn’t notice a difference. The room is large enough that you don’t have to “try” to stand anywhere specifically.

Not to me. I've seen the head-on POV and the side view live isn't as good.

JD2000

I noticed the Stormtroopers in front of the elevators you are suppose to use (but ultimately don’t) always look flat in the different videos. All the others look convincing enough, especially those used during the interrogation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
These screen characters are all ripping off Christopher Walken in the Disaster show, yeah? So basically Universal invented the effect that Disney is now using.

The technology predates that attraction was invented independent of Universal, and was used for commercial enterprises before Universal adopted it.

JD2000

Is the blue Transportation Ship part motion simulator (i.e. does more than turn around)? It sort of looks that way in videos.

Phroobar

Is the blue Transportation Ship part motion simulator (i.e. does more than turn around)? It sort of looks that way in videos.
Remember the construction pictures of the spiral pits? There was a turn table next to them. I think all the ship does is turn.

Nirya

That would have been great - it’s odd that in the entire Star Wars land and two attractions there is not a single light saber battle. Considering that is such an iconic part of Star Wars (look at the marketing for Ep. 9), it’s hard to imagine they built an entire land without it. It’s why you see people get so excited about the opening event stunt show.

Hot take: the only good lightsaber battle is in Episode 4.

JD2000

Remember the construction pictures of the spiral pits? There was a turn table next to them. I think all the ship does is turn.
I’m not so sure.

“The ride begins with a realistic ride aboard a Resistance transport shuttle with a floor that rattles and tilts as the ship takes off from the Star Wars planet of Batuu, the setting for the twin Galaxy’s Edge themed lands in California and Florida.”

socalifornian

D634BCE4-4A43-4444-B785-593C5203313C.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom