When did the Polynesian get so expensive?

The_Jobu

I haven't run the figures but I'm guessing the rate was much more reasonable back then. Now they're priced like Kohl's where you ahve to have the discount to make it realistic.

Absolutely. I'm waiting on the early May discounts just to start to try and book an All-Star.

jmargarone27

My parents told me that they used to be able to get the GF for $300 a night during slower months when my sister and I were little (1997-2003). We stayed there exclusively and then they bought DVC. Now we don’t go as often so we use the points to stay at the GF hotel side, sometimes we can even get club level with our points but it’s a really high number of points per night. The GF is my favorite by far but I don’t think it’s worth the price point Disney has currently set it at. It needs a revamp soon. (sorry for bringing up the GF in a Poly thread but thought it was similar situation lol)

surfsupdon

Comparing standard rooms with standard rooms, when the Yacht & Beach Club Resorts and Boardwalk Inn opened in the mid 90s, they were priced higher than both the Contemporary and Polynesian, and on par with the Grand Floridian. Disney felt the Resort amenities, layout, location, and services trumped the monorail resorts.

Now the Deluxe Epcot Resorts can be a couple 100 below the monorail Resorts. I cannot believe Disney charges-and gets- the pricing for those dated Monorail Resorts. The Epcot Resorts are far superior in most every way (except for the closeness to the MK).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I realize that the Polynesian has always been near the top of deluxe resorts in regards to pricing, but it seems like the prices have become insane. I was searching a bunch of different weeks for March 2020 and all of the standard rooms are going for over $550 and that's with the 10% discount. It's actually cheaper to stay at the Grand Floridian, than the Polynesian. It has always been my favorite resort on Disney's property, but I'm afraid I can't afford it anymore.

Notice they took inventory out to convert to timeshares...which can be scene as a way to artificially create “demand” and add price.

See:
lodge, Wilderness
Contemporary, The
and
Lodge, Animal Kingdom

As well.

Others will follow

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Comparing standard rooms with standard rooms, when the Yacht & Beach Club Resorts and Boardwalk Inn opened in the mid 90s, they were priced higher than both the Contemporary and Polynesian, and on par with the Grand Floridian. Disney felt the Resort amenities, layout, location, and services trumped the monorail resorts.

Now the Deluxe Epcot Resorts can be a couple 100 below the monorail Resorts. I cannot believe Disney charges-and gets- the pricing for those dated Monorail Resorts. The Epcot Resorts are far superior in most every way (except for the closeness to the MK).

No question....

It’s for a dying train system and the view of a fiberglass and concrete castle mock-up 49 years old...but to each their own - I suppose.

I do wonder as the boomers die off if the same appeal for the monorail line holds? They were those that went there first, most frequently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is playing with us trying to figure out how much we're wiling to pay. Loos like there's a lot of people ready to pay insane prices.
Indeed.

And the consumers haven’t been doing their “job” since the Great Recession...or even during it...falling for gimmicks and hook pricing and then not being able to discern when the worm has/is turning

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Poly can still be affordable. I just booked through DVC (renting someone's points) for my January trip and paid $240 a night. I've never paid more than $310/night to stay there ($310 was during peak time). Poly is our preferred DVC due to the extra shower and the teen-sized pull down murphy bed. We booked DVC for our March trip and have Poly again---but still paid under $300/night, which is comparable to the moderate-pricing (with an AP discount) since it is during Spring Break.

Your path to “cheap” will probably go away at some point. Power to you.

End running the rack rates without purchasing the hefty DVC contract is something they haven’t decide to “end” yet. If it grows in popularity, there will be blocks/restrictions, or an outright ban on it if they can swing it (they haven’t failed yet)

DVC is not meant to be that self serving to the member or a discount program to the non-member.

It used to be just to lock you in and get you to buy other stuff. With the pricing increasing 3x in 10-15 years...it’s more than that now. That isn’t “inflation”. They want your money upfront. Wasn’t always really about that.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

With the Skyliner, my wife is considering CBB since its so nice, quiet and more convenient than the Poly.

eliza61nyc

...or significantly outpaced reasonable price inflation...

Which doesn’t mean anything until a decline/recession I always talk lands 😉
I don't know Sir, Forbes just forecast a strong economy through next year. Lol. I know it's coming too but folks love their vacations.
Like someone said as long as people love it they will pay.
And as long as folks feel safe with their jobs they'll come.

You know my standard disclaimer, my crystal ball only goes out 5 years or less.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

No question....

It’s for a dying train system and the view of a fiberglass and concrete castle mock-up 49 years old...but to each their own - I suppose.

I do wonder as the boomers die off if the same appeal for the monorail line holds? They were those that went there first, most frequently.
The monorail is unreliable at best and packs you in worse than a bus. Give me Skyliner access instead.

And at all three Resorts, you get soaked in a Florida thunderstorm walking to your room or a bus stop or to get food, 500-700/night and soaked to the bone.

No thanks. Always prefer Crescent Lake Resorts.....andquitebpossobke the Skyliner Resorts now (although they, too, will have you get soaked in the rain).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know Sir, Forbes just forecast a strong economy through next year. Lol. I know it's coming too but folks love their vacations.
Like someone said as long as people love it they will pay.
And as long as folks feel safe with their jobs they'll come.

You know my standard disclaimer, my crystal ball only goes out 5 years or less.
Forbes predicting more money?

...shocking. I wouldn’t be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

I do agree in this: the significant downturn will likely be after next years election...though there have been many in leadups...no matter the results.

The_Jobu

Forbes predicting more money?

...shocking. I wouldn’t be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

I do agree in this: the significant downturn will likely be after next years election...though there have been many in leadups...no matter the results.

I think they're underestimating how many people will grudgingly put up with the price hikes for the 50th, who are going to consider Disney out of their system after.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think they're underestimating how many people will grudgingly put up with the price hikes for the 50th, who are going to consider Disney out of their system after.

That thing kinda sorta happened after 2000...it’s just the price hikes weren’t as high and those that filtered away were what remained of the 20th century “lower middle class” demographics.

They’re long gone now

The_Jobu

That thing kinda sorta happened after 2000...it’s just the price hikes weren’t as high and those that filtered away were what remained of the 20th century “lower middle class” demographics.

They’re long gone now

I'm very curious to see what happens, I think the Great Public Breaking Point® is closer rather than farther. The bungled opening of SWGE probably hints to people reaching their limits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm very curious to see what happens, I think the Great Public Breaking Point® is closer rather than farther. The bungled opening of SWGE probably hints to people reaching their limits.
It’s more a question of how do you sustain a MASS operation...that needs the masses to be financially viable...when you eliminate so much of the potential audience with pricing?

More than a tepid Star Wars response. The indicator is that they have no reported large attendance gains in raw numbers over this extended “boom”

That is a canary in the coal mine that’s short of breath.

defenders say: “it’s more luxury now” or “they’re trying to reduce attendance” or “good for me, less people”

Silly, silly, mouse addicts...without masses - and increasing mobs - they would close the place...or at a likely minimum slash things and punish who’s left with an egregious attempt to solve the losses

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom