Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Disney Analyst

Just saw this on Micechat from Westsider. Very interesting if true.

Talked to three different buddies - one an old DLR manager who moved to Orlando to work at World so he and his wife could afford their own place, and two DLR guys who work in Ops and Facilities getting updates from World.

Rise out at World is being its problem child self - it broke down for the Wednesday media event and couldn't reopen, but yesterday they squeaked it out with only five main downtimes that involved evacs. This morning was worse and the ride had been down a bunch of times already when I talked to my buddy at World in early afternoon their time.

But here's the brilliant if devious part. They have double staffed the ride for opening weekend - actually slightly more than double. There is double the crew staffed and in costume so when the ride goes 101 they do not have to use the usual staffing to engage Ride Access Control (RAC) procedures to begin an evac - the moment the ride goes 101 for a single vehicle fault (common) or a full building down (less common but worse) the entire evac crew is pre assigned and waiting and within 2 minutes is deployed via RAC to begin the evac and immediate reset while all the usual CM's remain in their position throughout the ride.

They also doubled up Facilities staffing and have pre assigned response teams standing by in the building at all times.

They are also using execs and managers from across World property to staff the outside of the ride to spiel/PR/handle the Greeter position and extended queue and the various Guest concerns. That's a total Josh move - he's smart and classy like that and a bunch of World management were surprised at Josh's style. Buddy said Josh was outside the entire day on Thursday, and was out there again today keeping the lower execs too scared to leave. Josh is very different from Colglazier at DLR and Kalogridis at World who were both too cool to be seen working alongside lowly Ops CM's. Josh and his execs working the outside frees up even more additional hourly CM's to keep their positions within the attraction and/or staff the waiting evac crew.

This whole staffing strategy has cut downtimes by at least half. RAC is necessary but slows stuff down quite a bit. But this double staffing is not sustainable long term. You can't have an entire second Ops crew sitting around backstage waiting for downtimes to shave time off evacs and resets by 50%, there's just no way you can sustain that labor. Tho for opening weekend I have to admit that strategy is brilliant and has NEVER been done before!!

You can expect this same strategy for Disneyland when Rise opens here. Disneyland's current General Manager of SW:GE who is a highly respected Ops woman plus the awesome VP Kris Theiler are both out at World this week observing and helping with the opening. They are there to take notes and bring those same strategies back to Disneyland. But DLR is even more hampered by DOSH requirements and not straying from the OG - although technically you could write one OG to pass DOSH inspection that says you have a second evac crew always standing by and then when you get thru the opening weekend or week or whatever you roll out the real OG with an official update and go back to normal staffing. That's how you could get away with this in California. In Florida they can basically do whatever they want.

We make fun of them out at World for good reason. But this staffing move and various strategies for opening weekend on operating the ride is damn impressive. Sneaky - but impressive!!!

ToTBellHop

91 was the end.
Yes. I assume most in those last couple groups who had already been waiting since 8 am this morning either left the park or got in line at 7 when their number came up. If you wait that long, you don’t dilly-dally.

Just changed up our vacation schedule to free up two mornings at DHS to hopefully ride. Will be very curious to see how things are going in two weeks...I’m sure breakdowns will be a thing of the past by then ;)

britain

...yep. See the door circled in orange.

View attachment 431047

I also wondered if there were stairs in the middle of the circle. Those ‘inner’ doors would make for good emergency exits.

And while I’m at it, I seem to remember there being a pretty decent size trench running from the big “swimming pool“ hole dug in the ground over to the circular “super collider“. So I believe there is a walkway of some kind between the finale drop screen room and the shuttle turntable.

(I’m basing this on Fresh Baked’s progress videos of the DL version of course.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yes, if true.

Here's some other info from Westsider...
  1. Can't find CMs to work SWL.
  2. RotR is having huge issues such that it won't open on time
  3. There will be a standby line for SWL along with the boarding reservation

yensidtlaw1969

I remember that CNN story said that there were 3 A-1000s. Does anyone know which 3? I can think of 4 possible A-1000s: Finn, Hux, Kylo on the bridge, and Kylo in the finale. Is one of these not an A-1000? Or am I miscounting?
I have to suspect that neither Finn animatronic is A-1000 - they don't "do" enough for it to be worth the expense. But they're likely both A-100.

My guess would be Kylo and Hux on the bridge and Kylo in the finale.

yensidtlaw1969

Not certain I see what would be considered "devious" about that - it just sounds like high-level guest service. Staff extra people when you know you're gonna need them and transition out to regular staffing levels when the dust starts to clear. And based on what I'm reading in this thread, it seems to be paying useful dividends.

I'm curious what the downside could be in this scenario - getting guests used to shorter downtime knowing it won't last forever? You'd hope the kinks will be worked out before that comes too much to a head.

Darth Snips

So I've been watching some POV's of the loading process trying to wrap my brain around the logistics. These conclusions might be inaccurate because some people edit together different ride-throughs into one video, which makes it hard to draw some connections. Anyways, here's my theory:
RotR Layout.png

First of all, the "prison cells" are already numbered, which makes labeling them a lot easier. Most of the info here has already been deduced/described by others here. The main thing I want to address is Cell 8: as far as I can tell, there are two load areas connected to this room. I've seen some videos where you exit to the left, and others where you exit to the right. Is this accurate? Or have I misinterpreted?

P.S. - I apologize for the roughness of the image. Unfortunately, I have neither the skill nor the knowledgeability of @marni1971 ;)

jrhwdw

ROTR is a success, People love it, I'm good! We'll worry about DL after New Years.... Stay working ROTR!!! DON'T BE LIKE SKYLINER!!!

kap91

I have to suspect that neither Finn animatronic is A-1000 - they don't "do" enough for it to be worth the expense. But they're likely both A-100.

My guess would be Kylo and Hux on the bridge and Kylo in the finale.
Rewatching Kylo I'm so impressed by what that AA does after the hull breaks. You don't even notice how crazy it is for an AA to do that cause it just seems so natural.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Rewatching Kylo I'm so impressed by what that AA does after the hull breaks. You don't even notice how crazy it is for an AA to do that cause it just seems so natural.
I disagree. That AA feels and moves very un-natural and robotic like. The first Kylo AA is very impressive the last one is very distracting in its un-natural movement espeically the hand waving it does when you first see it.

Darth Snips

Absolutely! I think my favorite touch is that you can see his feet. I feel like most super-advanced AAs have their feet hidden from view (Hondo, the Wicked Witch, Elsa, Kylo and Hux earlier in this ride, everyone in American Adventure, etc.) . It's an old trick, and it allows the engineers to make their movements more impressive by attaching any number of platforms, lifts, or turntables to their legs. The fact that they were able to get that level of movement and fluidity while keeping his feet firmly and visibly planted on the floor is just amazing to me.

yensidtlaw1969

Absolutely! I think my favorite touch is that you can see his feet. I feel like most super-advanced AAs have their feet hidden from view (Hondo, the Wicked Witch, Elsa, Kylo and Hux earlier in this ride, everyone in American Adventure, etc.) . It's an old trick, and it allows the engineers to make their movements more impressive by attaching any number of platforms, lifts, or turntables to their legs. The fact that they were able to get that level of movement and fluidity while keeping his feet firmly and visibly planted on the floor is just amazing to me.
It's actually slightly more impressive than that, even - his feet do move a little bit, I think his right a little moreso than the left, since it appears on close inspection to be "tracked in".

So you could argue that he's doing all of this planted only on one foot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom