Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

KBLovedDisney

I am not even that much of a Star Wars fan (both of old and new stuff), but seeing the footage of the queue, the pre-show, the walk-thru and the ride really does make me happy and like I have said before gives me the old Disney good feels that I haven't felt in a very long time. I can't wait to see this in person. Maybe this kind of immersive-ness will continue throughout the rest of Disney and new Epcot refurbishments and what not. One can hope at least.

Maybe even Horizons 2.0 will be a thing. I can dream...

kap91

As someone who super loved and loves Mr. Toad and what it does, I defy you to find anyone who truly thinks Mr. Toad is an objectively superior attraction to Rise. Toad scores high on a conceptual level as a ride - higher than I think many people would think to give it credit for - and I think it's entertainment factor is still solid 60+ years on, but I also think that even those of us with great passion for it are reasonable enough to see the difference here.

Glory days would be living in a time where Walt Disney World can have both Mr. Toad AND Rise of the Resistance, which isn't actually asking all that much. But alas.

Thankfully Disneyland has done well enough by its attractions over the years and still has a Toad that's in bright and colorful shape, wild as ever and soon to be entertaining guests into 2020 . . . alongside Rise of the Resistance.

We can probably all agree that the less that's said about Birthdayland the better.
I would never claim toad is better than ROTR. I would claim a ride just like toad but using all of ROTR's tech would be better though. (Though I think ROTR freaking awesome as is).

I'd also claim we don't have to live in a world that's either or. I'd love to see more ROTR style rides and I'd love to see more rides like Toad. Especially at smaller parks, rides like toad are much easier to execute well and I'd much prefer them to a shoddy attempt to replicate ROTR on 1/10 the budget and with none of the maintenance expertise.

KevinPage

Any idea on how many boarding groups were distributed today relative to yesterday? I imagine they dropped the number because it sounds like at least 20 boarding groups got comp tickets.

I had a few different CM tell me that the boarding groups themselves today contained less people than Yesterday. What amount or % I don’t know but not was implied that it wasn’t 1 or 2.

Was that because they knew that had to account for chunk of people who couldn’t be accommodated last night returning today or learning demand vs capacity/downtime issues?

probably a combo of everything

britain

Most importantly the person who takes over for Iger in a couple years. No matter who it is.

If Rise is all that's needed to turn GE around, then by opening with Falcon first, they unknowingly designed an experiment that has all the controls in place (same Star Wars IP, same pricy theming) to demonstrate that people prefer RIDES that aim to overwhelm you, rather than simulators. (And I like the Falcon!)

The next generation of executives will understand what a home run means, and their egos will crave more to claim as their own.

SWGalaxysEdge

How does the shuttle work and you end up in the hangar bay? You walk out and see the ship in there so it's more than just a door opening on the other side I assume.

...you are standing on a rotating platform when you enter the shuttle. The whole interior is rotating while you are flying and being captured.

ITS wheel rotation.png

mergatroid

I am not even that much of a Star Wars fan (both of old and new stuff), but seeing the footage of the queue, the pre-show, the walk-thru and the ride really does make me happy and like I have said before gives me the old Disney good feels that I haven't felt in a very long time. I can't wait to see this in person. Maybe this kind of immersive-ness will continue throughout the rest of Disney and new Epcot refurbishments and what not. One can hope at least.

Maybe even Horizons 2.0 will be a thing. I can dream...

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, in fact I can't stand the movies. However I enjoy the rides at Universal not because of story or character recognition, but because they've created fun, thrilling rides which is what most people want. For all those crying that because Darth Vader isn't in it that they can't enjoy it, there's lot's of people loving the fun they're having on ROTR.

When Pandora was being constructed and we had a 2+ year thread going with people shouting how badly received it would be as nobody apparently enjoyed the movie (even though it broke various box office records), I pointed out that if done well people would still go. A few years after it's opened people are still clamoring to ride FOP and 30 day FP's are like unicorn droppings to obtain. A well made movie based ride can still do well regardless of the success of the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom