Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

britain

Or even sequentially. You don't see him on one side and then see him again on the other. On both sides of the room he's around a corner and all cars only see one or the other.

That’s another thing that’s so impressive about that scene. You have two vehicles looking at the same room from various angles, but there are elements that need to stay hidden from the other vehicles (mostly the ‘other’ Finn animatronic, but also the arm of his unseen comrade who gets a few shots off while hiding behind a wall/crate). Adding the change in height further complicates the need to reveal AND conceal, but it never feels like the staging is forced. All views at all times in that room are naturally cinematic and exciting.

Less successful is the final Kylo Ren Encounter, kinda doing an Iron Man floating thing with both his hands when he should be pulling both vehicles towards him with one tension-fraught, partially cracked-open fist. And the ceiling isn’t that great either.

Whatever. They fixed weaknesses in Phantom Manor 25 years after it opened. I’m sure this can be perfected within 25 years from now. 😄

TP2000

Original Poster
I am so incredibly thrilled that my favorite place in the world, Disneyland USA is going to have this gorgeously exhilarating experience.

What a night, what a day, what a ride.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I agree that Disneyland USA is going to be even more of a powerhouse in 2020 when it opens here.

And I have to thank you for all your field reports today. I must also tell you that as I read your reports this morning, I could only picture Miss Carol Channing winding her way through the crowd, riding the ride, enjoying the day. I know you aren't actually Miss Channing, but the visual was nice. :)

George Lucas on a Bench

Exclusive photo of ROTR's disastrous opening:

d05292ec24d59dabdb63bcf5d57d8e85.jpg

Mickeyboof

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I agree that Disneyland USA is going to be even more of a powerhouse in 2020 when it opens here.

And I have to thank you for all your field reports today. I must also tell you that as I read your reports this morning, I could only picture Miss Carol Channing winding her way through the crowd, riding the ride, enjoying the day. I know you aren't actually Miss Channing, but the visual was nice. :)

I’m sure if she had been in attendance, she’d have been equal parts dazzled... and dizzy!

TROR

Rey doesn’t come on the mission with us.

I’d rather see Ray and Kylo *actually* do battle out on the streets of Black Spire:

I know Rey doesn’t come on the mission. I’m saying that’s a mistake. You can have a lightsaber duel on the ride and in the land. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

mickEblu

I know Rey doesn’t come on the mission. I’m saying that’s a mistake. You can have a lightsaber duel on the ride and in the land. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

it would be cool to see... if AAs could do it convincingly. Unfortunately, if that were on the attraction there is a 99% chance that it would be on screen. I hate anything outside of atmosphere or effects on screens. Think Captain Jack v. Davy Jones on Shanghai Pirates.

brb1006

So has anybody been caught up with Disney+'s "Imagineering Story"? Just got finished with Episode 5 (which was interesting) but man is Episode 6 going to be fascinating to watch. Mainly since it will go over Galaxy's Edge, Pandora, and Shanghai Disney Resort. You should see the sneak preview for that episode.

TROR

it would be cool to see... if AAs could do it convincingly. Unfortunately, if that were on the attraction there is a 99% chance that it would be on screen. I hate anything outside of atmosphere or effects on screens. Think Captain Jack v. Davy Jones on Shanghai Pirates.
Agreed. The dueling pirates in Paris I've always felt are quality and I'm sure WDI could do even better in 2019. It would probably be a duel closer to that of Obi Wan and Vader from 1977 but faster and more intense.

Mickeyboof

Agreed. The dueling pirates in Paris I've always felt are quality and I'm sure WDI could do even better in 2019. It would probably be a duel closer to that of Obi Wan and Vader from 1977 but faster and more intense.

Gasp! I forgot about the dueling pirates! They’re fantastic!

Now that I think about it, looking up and seeing Ray high above distracting Kylo as we escape would have been a delightful addition!

Travel Junkie

IMO that SDL sequence looks really good in person. It looks more convincing than if they had AA's with limited movement.

RobWDW1971

Gasp! I forgot about the dueling pirates! They’re fantastic!

Now that I think about it, looking up and seeing Ray high above distracting Kylo as we escape would have been a delightful addition!

That would have been great - it’s odd that in the entire Star Wars land and two attractions there is not a single light saber battle. Considering that is such an iconic part of Star Wars (look at the marketing for Ep. 9), it’s hard to imagine they built an entire land without it. It’s why you see people get so excited about the opening event stunt show.

Professortango1

No, those are an “0k” New Hope copy SW film and an “awful” SW film. 😃

To each their own. I like the new movies. New Hope is still my favourite, but I much prefer the new films over Jedi by miles. Empire is great, but has some big flaws thanks to Lucas.

With most families drawn to the new trilogy and not some movies from over 40 years ago, I think this was a smart choice. Kylo Ren is my favourite Star Wars character and leaving the best character out of a land which celebrates the entire franchise would be a shame.

DanielBB8

This is how I would improve the script.

1. We are desperate Batuu residents who are looking to escape the infiltration of Batuu by First Order.
2. Resistance offered a transport with ulterior motive to be revealed.
3. Unfortunately, captured by First Order with Kylo Ren in command.
4. Plan B came into effect. General tells us Resistance spies are already onboard and can use your help and help you escape.
5. Kylo Ren takes you as prisoner, will process your data, and find out if any civilians carries knowledge about the Resistance.
6. Resistance helps you escape and tells you to get Intelligence while on your way to escape pods.
7. Kylo Ren chases you, but not know Finn is working on his plan.
8. You escape into pod, knowledge transfers to the droid, then Finn joins you at Batuu with success with his actual plan.

The End

Mickeyboof

That would have been great - it’s odd that in the entire Star Wars land and two attractions there is not a single light saber battle. Considering that is such an iconic part of Star Wars (look at the marketing for Ep. 9), it’s hard to imagine they built an entire land without it. It’s why you see people get so excited about the opening event stunt show.

I can’t tell you how many people still stand in front of Galaxy Edge’s MANY stages, just waiting for something to happen. It’s sad at this point. A lightsaber battle would be most welcome! Sign the check anytime, Bob!

JD2000

It is really odd that AT-AT on the one side has no movement. I can't get over that. But I definitely continue to warm up to the ride. It has some pretty cool things going for it.

:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom