Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

So after watching multiple pov videos of the ride, there is one thing that really hit me that I haven't really heard anyone talk about: at least from the videos I've seen, the screens seem to convey a crazy realistic sense of depth like you are really looking out into space! Especially the scene with the huge guns shooting out and the battle happening outside the windows. Not only does the CGI look incredible and convincing, but the depth perception I got was huge. Is it this good in person? Or am I just imagining this?

kap91

So after watching multiple pov videos of the ride, there is one thing that really hit me that I haven't really heard anyone talk about: at least from the videos I've seen, the screens seem to convey a crazy realistic sense of depth like you are really looking out into space! Especially the scene with the huge guns shooting out and the battle happening outside the windows. Not only does the CGI look incredible and convincing, but the depth perception I got was huge. Is it this good in person? Or am I just imagining this?
It's pretty convincing. It helps that in space half of everything is at infinite focus anyway. That combined with the parallax they're able to render because they know the precise position of the ride cars leads to a great illusion. It's not perfect but it's pretty close enough---especially with everything else going on.

There's also some uses of musion and projected characters where I'm still not actually sure if it was a projection or AA.

They've really nailed how to integrate media into physical environments.

totchos

I was just noticing that as well. The giant “wall of space” in the star destroyer looks insane too.

OK I couldn’t get on ride today as they ran out of Boardjng passes early and I had no idea what I was doing. We are staying at All Star Music and first bus isn’t leaving til 815, should I take a Minnie van to get there early enough to grab a boarding pass or should I be fine just taking the bus?

A Noble Fish

ClickOrlando is absolutely a reputable site. It is Orlando's CBS affiliate. And they reported on Hagid's operational issues too.
Screenshot-2019-12-05-18-26-37.png

So enough of the victimhood by the biased media talk.
In comparison to that headline, I brought to light a ROTR headline sensationalizing a ride breaking down which happens Every. Single. Day. Cherrypicking is bad, and it doesn't even work here.

This 'Hagrid's Delayed' is not a headline that is trying to stir the pot. Good media reporting should report news that explains and informs; it's the incisive and misleading content for views that's degrading public intellect and its understanding of fact. I'd reread the entire headline.

Being wrong is okay, and if you showed a legitimate counter, I would currently be reassessing my understanding, so that I could find the truth. Arguing for the sake of an argument benefits no one, so...

I'm pleased to know that it is a reputable news site. I like vetting articles I read but was simply showing how it could influence public opinion. After all, it was high on Google search. However, a more accurate headline that doesn't weaponize an insignificant fact would uphold that standard. It's not a cause for panic, but troubling that you see these two headlines equally.

I'm far from a Pixie Duster and I'm not knocking on Universal (they've made a killer ride), but my point still stands that for whatever reason, Disney's park headlines have been so negative as of late in an ironically good time. I mean they're managing crowds with boarding groups and giving them free park tickets if they can't make it in!

TL;DR The article alone isn't a big deal, but as a collective of headlines (even a thread on the forums), it's not something one should support by cherrypicking and misrepresenting using a narrative. My initial point raised about RoTR's coverage still stands correct upon further examination.

I appreciate the passion, however, and I have no ill intent.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
So Boeing (finally) confirmed they were the ones behind the drone technology for the X-wings that are "flying" high above the skies at Galaxy's Edge in WDW.

They are using Boeing's latest Cargo Air Vehicle (CAV) drones. I did a little research and they (Boeing) only just started outdoor testing May of this 2019, and only completed testing just this past October. In retrospect, Galaxy's Edge opened May 31 in DL, and Aug 29 in WDW.

Therefore, could this be the reason why drones didn't make it Day 1 (at least for the dedication opening ceremonies on either coast)?

To add, the drones have the capability to accelerate forward of 20 knots, which is about 23 miles per hour. Also weighs at least 600 pounds while empty of cargo!! So the illusion of the X-Wings zooming by may or may not be achieved.

It's all some interesting stuff to think and ponder about ya know. :p

Sources:

MrConbon

My only downside would honestly be some of the animatronics. None of them were nearly close to the same level as the shaman from Navi River Journey and multiple people I heard mentioned how janky they seemed to look. The faces of Finn and Hux in particular looked super off. Thank goodness Kylo wears a mask.

csm

My only downside would honestly be some of the animatronics. None of them were nearly close to the same level as the shaman from Navi River Journey and multiple people I heard mentioned how janky they seemed to look. The faces of Finn and Hux in particular looked super off. Thank goodness Kylo wears a mask.

It's ok. Lots of people convince themselves that they don't need glasses for years before they finally see an eye doctor.

MrConbon

It's ok. Lots of people convince themselves that they don't need glasses for years before they finally see an eye doctor.

They look good. Just not as amazing as the shaman in my opinion. The movements are fluid but the faces are off to me. Maybe because they’re trying to replicate faces I know well idk.

totchos

The Kylo AA has some pretty amazing movements. Consider that the Shaman is just moving her arms while Kylo is moving his entire body. Finn seemed pretty realistic as well. First time I watched the video I thought it was an actor. I’d say Hux is the only one that didn't match those levels of realism. Good thing he doesn't completely turn towards the audience lol

MrConbon

The Kylo AA has some pretty amazing movements. Consider that the Shaman is just moving her arms while Kylo is moving his entire body. Finn seemed pretty realistic as well. First time I watched the video I thought it was an actor. I’d say Hux is the only one that didn't match those levels of realism. Good thing he doesn't completely turn towards the audience lol

I think Kylo is good until the part where he does that stumbling part. It’s somehow incredibly impressive and silly at the same time. Though that may be more based on the storyline of how Kylo is stopped by a small piece of rubble. My friend who I went with also noticed that Kylo turned towards the audience but Hux didn’t lol.

sedati

Props to Yensid for accurately predicting this back in 2017.
So, not just to toot my own horn, but all the insightful sleuths (Brian Lo and Britain especially) at this site who along with Martin‘s hints and the excellent aerials by Bioreconstruct and WDWMagic got most if not all of this figured out and made for a very enjoyable diversion of watching this incredible project come together. If anyone felt up to the task and wanted to dive chronologically through the various threads I think they’d be surprised how much was sussed out well ahead of other sources out there.
Sorry to inundate you guys, but while finding pics for my last post I found this great image at disneytouristblog:
View attachment 256594

I brightened it so you could see two openings which I've labeled and I believe correspond to these openings taken from another of Bioreconstruct's shots:
View attachment 256613

Now to speculate and build on what's been guessed at before. Two big openings to me imply that on the other side of that wall are two identical preshows/ briefing rooms, one opening up as the other is in progress. We'd enter the blue shuttle, and the door would close once filled. The space that we've entered is acually a moving box with mild simulator capabilities. From inside the shuttle appears to take off, only to be captured by the first order and taken to an orbiting star destroyer. What is actually happening is the box we've entered sits inside the odd circular structure that we've seen constructed that also links directly to the big hangar setpiece. The shell of the shuttle hides the structure from view. Once the door closes, the box moves along that circle until it aligns with the First Order Hangar. This would work if we enter and exit from the same side. When emptied, the box would continue rotating within the circular structure until if sits back within the shuttle (possibly while another is making the rotation.) Still a lot of guesswork, but this is what I find fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom