Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

tirian

It is clearly not operating reliably today. They stopped letting guests join boarding groups around 9:30 am. They’ve been boarding group 30 for more than an hour.

My backup group is 152. I should be able to ride ... Saturday night?
The beauty of the boarding groups is that without reported wait times, the public won’t know when the ride breaks down.

Ponderer

It looked like the only crowd in the land at that time were at the stage so I'm not sure there wasn't somewhere else where the xwings could have remained in sight while flying for more than a couple of minutes.

While the FAA is considering loosening restrictions for very small drones - like half a pound and under - right now, you cannot fly over any non-participating people without a waiver. When I say group, I mean, as little as 1 person. And it's damn unlikely that a drone of this size would've gotten such a waiver.

Hawg G

The vast majority of the press has been positive. Drudge is known for his sensationalistic headlines. No matter what happened today he would have put up a negative headline. If it had been flawless but still closed down the boarding groups once they filled up he would say "Paying guests refused entry on Rise of the Resistance".
If you knew anything, you'd know Drudge actually says very little. Drudge Report is a headline aggregate. The post about RotR was from the Brevard Times.

Now you can go back to Rachel Maddow's unbiased news.

durangojim

While the FAA is considering loosening restrictions for very small drones - like half a pound and under - right now, you cannot fly over any non-participating people without a waiver. When I say group, I mean, as little as 1 person. And it's damn unlikely that a drone of this size would've gotten such a waiver.
I understand that, I just meant I don't think anyone else was in the rest of the land which maybe they could have flown over.

Ponderer

I understand that, I just meant I don't think anyone else was in the rest of the land which maybe they could have flown over.

Unless they could've guaranteed a clear flight path every step of the way, probably not. (Also, if it lost power and dropped on top of, like, the Falcon in public, that's also not a good situation. A drone that size would cause damage.)

Serverfarm

Racers' breakdowns when it opened in 2012 we not Ops issues they were tech issues, same for Indy. I'm not saying Rise was 100% ready to open today in WDW, it wasn't, but breakdowns for E-Tickets on opening day, and in the first few months are normal.

It's not under drone regs: over 55lbs. It's experimental small aircraft, like the same regs they used for the dragon. Faa likely on site yesterday. If they give it the thumbs up, will fly again(s) today I'm sure. No flying over guests is a dis rule.

So the inside back story by day's end will be:
. Creative will declare success on all front, everything opened or was shown. Pat's on everyone's back.
. Vp's promoted
. Ops has work (yeah, charge hours!)
. guests will hate the long lines and breakdowns
. PR flood gates will hype this to space.
. And the competition will continue to use the same contractors (re: Potter)
. Guests take what their given. Disney is happy, will the guests... is TBD?
. And someone will take the fall for spending $2B++

Rinse and repeat.

brb1006

Okay, boomer.
Don't talk smack about Pigs In Space!

DisneyOutsider

it’s an amazing ride I’m sure. But

Front page Drudge and other news outlets story today is Disney’s $1 Billion ride breaks down 18 minutes after opening.

The Twitter morons have tweeted.

I'd say that most grand openings at Disney parks open before they're truly ready, and ROTR is no exception. Remember Disneyland opened probably a month sooner than it really should have, and they got hammered for it.

It all worked out fine in the end, as will this. Reports from the ground seem to be that things aren't as bad as we here feared in terms of breakdowns. I'm not sure that most people here are interested in "giving them a pass" for opening the ride before it's able to perform flawlessly at full capacity... but what's the alternative? Just enjoy the process and put your expectations in context would be my advice.

Ponderer

It's not under drone regs: over 55lbs. It's experimental small aircraft, like the same regs they used for the dragon. Faa likely on site yesterday. If they give it the thumbs up, will fly again(s) today I'm sure. No flying over guests is a dis rule.

That's interesting. If it's under the experimental rules, they would have to have flown it for 25-40 hours over non-populated areas, and for non-commercial purposes like education and personal use. I wonder how much of that got waived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom