Anyone else think the "Disney Legend" title gets thrown around to much?

Mouse Trap

See I thought OP was saying that Disney is saying it but apparently they should be upset with WDWMAGIC. And this is probably why I do not see the term since I do not read articles on here.
Yeah, I don't know but I am guessing that is the article OP was referencing. To me it is just a word a writer used.

This has nothing to do with WDWMagic. “Disney Legend” is an award/designation given to individuals by The Walt Disney Company.

https://d23.com/disney-legends/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Legends

Cmdr_Crimson

If they are just giving them away.....I also vote for This Inanimate Carbon Rod.
latest

JIMINYCR

The distinction of Legend should be reserved for someone who was exceptional, stood out from the ordinary, worked tirelessly and by their innovation during their tenure brought something extraordinary to Disney that no one else had. Giving the title away as they have done, just dilutes the honor of those who really made their mark. Its like theyve decided to give everyone a trophy who participates.

Phonedave

Moral considerations aside, if any recent actor would deserve this recognition, it's Depp. Without him, Disney's most popular movie franchise of the early 2000s would have probably gone nowhere.

Yeah, the guy isn't going to win the humanitarian of the year award, but let's not pretend we didn't all love him as Capt. Jack Sparrow 15 years ago.

Well, maybe you could make the same argument for Robert Downey Jr. (did Disney own Marvel when the first Iron Man came out?). His past isn't exactly spotless either, but audiences seem to have given him a second chance once he cleaned himself up. With Cancel Culture now a thing, I'm not sure he would have been given the same opportunity nowadays.

I agree. Putting aside the discussion of if a Disney Legend should have a moral / human requirement.

Depp pretty much defined the Jack Sparrow role, launching a franchise, and becoming a very recognizable Disney character.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree. I believe the title of "Disney Legend" has become watered down now to the point of being almost meaningless. "Oh, you did a voice in a movie? LEGEND!" "You starred in a C-list Disney Channel show? LEGEND!" "You interviewed people on TV? LEGEND!" It's ridiculous. I like Ming-Na Wen. I just don't think she's done anything close to enough to be considered a "Disney Legend". It should be reserved for a select, highly-scrutinized few each year, not 8-12 people of questionable credentials. I still have absolutely zero clue why Oprah or Diane Sawyer or even George Lucas are considered "Disney Legends".

eliza61nyc

I think it's pretty much a reflection of today's world. People on reality tv are stars, you make a commercial you get a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

bsiev1977

Let’s make it official!
View attachment 429941

But seriously, when I think of legends, I think more of folks with multiple classic parts or other contributions over many years. As for actors, people like Fred McMurray, Angela Lansbury, **** Van ****, Kurt Russell, Haley Mills and so forth. There are many that are or will be legendary but maybe not specifically Disney legendary because their fame is mostly in other projects (like Emma Watson who did great in BatB, but I don’t think has been in any other Disney movies yet).

But, it doesn’t really bother me all that much and my opinion carries no weight with the people in power, so c’est la vie. 😃

Funny that the name Dick Van gets censored

Mouse Trap

I agree. I believe the title of "Disney Legend" has become watered down now to the point of being almost meaningless. "Oh, you did a voice in a movie? LEGEND!" "You starred in a C-list Disney Channel show? LEGEND!" "You interviewed people on TV? LEGEND!" It's ridiculous. I like Ming-Na Wen. I just don't think she's done anything close to enough to be considered a "Disney Legend". It should be reserved for a select, highly-scrutinized few each year, not 8-12 people of questionable credentials. I still have absolutely zero clue why Oprah or Diane Sawyer or even George Lucas are considered "Disney Legends".

Diane Sawyer has been with ABC in some capacity since 1989 and is one of the most recognizable names in broadcasting.

Without George Lucas Pixar may never have became what it is today. A more loose connection (aside from Indiana Jones and Star Wars becoming integral pieces of Disney parks), but fitting as well.

DisneyJoe

I still have absolutely zero clue why Oprah or Diane Sawyer or even George Lucas are considered "Disney Legends".
Much of our current special effect technology and sound technology owes much to Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) and Skywalker Sound, divisions/spinoffs of LucasFilm, which were created for the original Star Wars film and continue to this day and have been nominated and won many awards since - all due to George Lucas.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What Lucasfilm/ILM/Skywalker Sound did for 35+ years prior to being acquired by Disney DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE WORTHY OF "DISNEY LEGEND" STATUS.

So what you're all rationalizing is basically turning "Disney Legend" status into a participation trophy. Gotcha. Have fun with such high standards.

DisneyJoe

What Lucasfilm/ILM/Skywalker Sound did for 35+ years prior to being acquired by Disney DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE WORTHY OF "DISNEY LEGEND" STATUS.

So what you're all rationalizing is basically turning "Disney Legend" status into a participation trophy. Gotcha. Have fun with such high standards.
By your rationalization, no one in a company purchased by Disney should ever be a Disney legend, ie ABC, ESPN (1993...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom