Anyone else think the "Disney Legend" title gets thrown around to much?

SirWillow

Original Poster
I was looking at a post about Ming Na Wen leading the Candlelight Processional, and noticed that she was titled, "Disney Legend." So is Jon Favreau. And all of the Star Wars actors. And... seems like every time I turn around anyone that's had much to do with Disney in the last 10- 20 years, or with a company that Disney bought like Lucas or Marvel, is now a Disney Legend.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of them. Ming Na Wen is one of my favorite actors, and I jokingly call Favreau Midas since it seems everything he touches turns to gold. But it's not just them.

Maybe I'm just old, but for me the Disney Legends are those that built the company- Walt and his 9 Old Men. Those that built the parks, were leaders in Imagineering, helped build and create something that established a presence for the company. Not someone that voiced a character or played a role in a couple of movies. Someone that has actually accomplished something for the company that establishes them as, well, a legend rather than just someone who played a role or had a small hand or part in something.

Instead it seems like Disney has turned something that used to actually mean something and now used it as little more than a promotional tool to attach to anyone they want to make them sound good for a PR stunt.

So how much am I off base? Out of touch? Or does this bother anyone else.

Lilofan

Disney Legend, Johnny Depp?? A druggie, a drunk, beat his wife, etc. And that's just for starters. And his former club the Viper Room was a well known drug den for the rich and famous where River lost his life.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Disney Legend, Johnny Depp?? A druggie, a drunk, beat his wife verbally and physically. And that's just for starters. And his former club the Viper Room was a well known drug den for the rich and famous where River lost his life.
Moral considerations aside, if any recent actor would deserve this recognition, it's Depp. Without him, Disney's most popular movie franchise of the early 2000s would have probably gone nowhere.

Yeah, the guy isn't going to win the humanitarian of the year award, but let's not pretend we didn't all love him as Capt. Jack Sparrow 15 years ago.

Well, maybe you could make the same argument for Robert Downey Jr. (did Disney own Marvel when the first Iron Man came out?). His past isn't exactly spotless either, but audiences seem to have given him a second chance once he cleaned himself up. With Cancel Culture now a thing, I'm not sure he would have been given the same opportunity nowadays.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Within a year or so I figure Guest Relations will have a "Disney Legend" button you can buy for $19.99. 'Cause we love telling everybody how important we are while walking around the parks.

It'll fit right in:

1575330873890.png

PeoplemoverTTA

I am cool with Ming-Na Wen, since Mulan was a pretty cool and groundbreaking character. I think that we just have to accept that the term “Disney Legend,” is now diluted by its use as a weird sort of award.

Marvel and Star Wars are really weird for me as far as Disney Legends go, though. I mean at least give it some time first. To call someone a “legend” just a few years after joining the “family” is a bit much to me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was looking at a post about Ming Na Wen leading the Candlelight Processional, and noticed that she was titled, "Disney Legend." So is Jon Favreau. And all of the Star Wars actors. And... seems like every time I turn around anyone that's had much to do with Disney in the last 10- 20 years, or with a company that Disney bought like Lucas or Marvel, is now a Disney Legend.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of them. Ming Na Wen is one of my favorite actors, and I jokingly call Favreau Midas since it seems everything he touches turns to gold. But it's not just them.

Maybe I'm just old, but for me the Disney Legends are those that built the company- Walt and his 9 Old Men. Those that built the parks, were leaders in Imagineering, helped build and create something that established a presence for the company. Not someone that voiced a character or played a role in a couple of movies. Someone that has actually accomplished something for the company that establishes them as, well, a legend rather than just someone who played a role or had a small hand or part in something.

Instead it seems like Disney has turned something that used to actually mean something and now used it as little more than a promotional tool to attach to anyone they want to make them sound good for a PR stunt.

So how much am I off base? Out of touch? Or does this bother anyone else.

At some point they started to run out of "true" legends of the company. They probably should have split it into two awards, a general Disney award of recognition, and then one person each year would get the title of Disney Legend.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am cool with Ming-Na Wen, since Mulan was a pretty cool and groundbreaking character. I think that we just have to accept that the term “Disney Legend,” is now diluted by its use as a weird sort of award.

She also has played a Marvel character for years. And is about to play a Star Wars character.

LUVofDIS

We do need a new term, like, Disney's Greatest Legend. When that becomes diluted, Disney's Greatest Best Legends and so on. Wait, should everyone who does anything Disney get a Disney Legend label, everyone gets an award and all.

Animaniac93-98

I've never seen anything saying anyone was a "Disney Legend". Either I don't pay enough attention or you pay too much attention.

Typically Disney released documents say who is and isn't a "legend". Like when they do a write up about a movie or person's career.

But the title exists as more of a marketing thing at this point. They want to associate as many big names with the company as possible.

I think Oprah is a "Disney Legend" too. It's really whoever they feel like it at this point.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I vote for Katiebug.

Let’s make it official!
132FF541-C576-49F3-B356-8FF1C7E9C1AD.jpeg

But seriously, when I think of legends, I think more of folks with multiple classic parts or other contributions over many years. As for actors, people like Fred McMurray, Angela Lansbury, Dick Van , Kurt Russell, Haley Mills and so forth. There are many that are or will be legendary but maybe not specifically Disney legendary because their fame is mostly in other projects (like Emma Watson who did great in BatB, but I don’t think has been in any other Disney movies yet).

But, it doesn’t really bother me all that much and my opinion carries no weight with the people in power, so c’est la vie. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom