Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

RobWDW1971

They're the state's largest employer. It's easier said than done for some.

They're are costs (emotional and economic) associated with relocating, improving your skill set etc.

Google tells me there are 9.1M jobs in Florida and WDW has 74K so that’s less than 1% of the jobs in the state, so 99%+ of the people who live in Florida have figured out how not to work for Disney.

Lilofan

This is absolutely true. The culture at WDW is very strongly built around backstabbing, throwing others under the bus, and promoting people who don't deserve it at all because they manipulated the right people. Morale among the frontline grows lower and lower every year as thousands and thousands start off giving their job their all, consistently going above and beyond, only to receive pats on the back (if anything) and watch as either their associates who did the bare minimum but smooched up to the right people get promoted, or, perhaps even worse, the promotional positions are filled with people brand new to the company (or maybe did a semester as a CP) who also pulled the right strings. It's very easy to lose that magical edge when your upward momentum hits an obvious brick wall early on, and your management team starts trying to slap you with ridiculous technicalities to make themselves look good on paper.

That said, CM's put up with this and SO much more and still manage to give, in my opinion, better service than basically any other theme park outside of TDL and DLR themselves.
There is a saying if you are unhappy. Life is too short and job stress can make you ill or worse.

"Change what you do, or change how you do it."

dhslxop

The "free college" stuff is very much a PR move. I don't know the specifics but you have to meet very, very specific criteria to qualify and it can easily be revoked. I'm not here discussing whether or not people should stay if they don't like the work. I'm only giving one reason why service at WDW is apparently being perceived as being worse than what they are known for.

I have posted about this before, but it must be noted that Disney Aspire is actually an INCREDIBLE program. All you have to do to be eligible is have worked for the company for 90 days in a full or part time hourly position (this isn't just for people who work in parks/resorts, either. I know people who are in professional but hourly roles who are participating. Yes there are some stipulations - seasonal CMs, CMs on college or internship programs, and exempt leaders aren't eligible (there are other programs, such as tuition reimbursement that do exist for these people). It doesn't matter what role you are in, or if the degree/certificate you are going for has anything to do with your current role. As long as you stay a CM and aren't termed or on a leave of absence, you continue to be eligible. There is no requirement to stay with the company after participating or completing a degree. If you leave the company, you owe NOTHING back to Disney for the classes you already too / books they reimbursed you for - if you want to continue your program, you will start paying the school at the time you leave Disney. The best part: if you get a professional internship or a promotion to a managerial role while participating in Disney Aspire, you are allowed to still continue your program!

Disney Aspire is literally a $50 million+ investment in the people that work for Disney. Does it look good from a PR perspective, sure! But it's very much an attainable program that THOUSANDS of Cast Members are taking part in. I am a front-line CM who already had a Bachelor's Degree, 2 Graduate Certificates and a Masters Degree prior to working for Disney. I am now completing a 2nd Masters Degree COMPLETELY for free. Disney is covering all of my class costs + reimburses me for all of my books.The fact that I am able to continue to reach my educational goals is incredible, particularly considering the fact that a Masters Degree is NOT required for the job I currently do. I consider myself to be very fortunate that I already had an opportunity to go to college and grad school. There are plenty of people enrolling in Disney Aspire who never had a chance to finish High School or go to college, or maybe want to have a chance to learn a trade.

Yes, I might be a bit biased, but I think it's really important to know that Disney Aspire is truly an investment back in the employees.

Goofyernmost

They're the state's largest employer. It's easier said than done for some.

They're are costs (emotional and economic) associated with relocating, improving your skill set etc.
What a wonderful cop out. The costs of staying in a dead end job, at low level income are much higher then taking a chance of relocation and especially improving one's skill set. I understand the fear of the unknown, but damn it is so tiring to hear people complain like they have no choices. There is a huge difference between having other choices and actually seeking other opportunities regardless of where they are located. Working for Disney for a reasonable amount of time is a huge positive for most other employers when listed on a resume. But it is worthless if no one puts it on their resume while aiming for better things.

Some of those talking points about how hard working people get passed up over those that networked and made their ambitions known should be learned shouldn't it? When you live in a world, any world, you play the survival game that works. If one see's that it is working for people instead of saying that they sucked up to management perhaps try and shake that sophomoric outlook and mature into life. You cannot win unless you play the game. The happy thought about opportunity will come knocking on your door is ridiculous. You have to open the door yourself or you will not get anywhere.

Lilofan

I have posted about this before, but it must be noted that Disney Aspire is actually an INCREDIBLE program. All you have to do to be eligible is have worked for the company for 90 days in a full or part time hourly position (this isn't just for people who work in parks/resorts, either. I know people who are in professional but hourly roles who are participating. Yes there are some stipulations - seasonal CMs, CMs on college or internship programs, and exempt leaders aren't eligible (there are other programs, such as tuition reimbursement that do exist for these people). It doesn't matter what role you are in, or if the degree/certificate you are going for has anything to do with your current role. As long as you stay a CM and aren't termed or on a leave of absence, you continue to be eligible. There is no requirement to stay with the company after participating or completing a degree. If you leave the company, you owe NOTHING back to Disney for the classes you already too / books they reimbursed you for - if you want to continue your program, you will start paying the school at the time you leave Disney. The best part: if you get a professional internship or a promotion to a managerial role while participating in Disney Aspire, you are allowed to still continue your program!

Disney Aspire is literally a $50 million+ investment in the people that work for Disney. Does it look good from a PR perspective, sure! But it's very much an attainable program that THOUSANDS of Cast Members are taking part in. I am a front-line CM who already had a Bachelor's Degree, 2 Graduate Certificates and a Masters Degree prior to working for Disney. I am now completing a 2nd Masters Degree COMPLETELY for free. Disney is covering all of my class costs + reimburses me for all of my books.The fact that I am able to continue to reach my educational goals is incredible, particularly considering the fact that a Masters Degree is NOT required for the job I currently do. I consider myself to be very fortunate that I already had an opportunity to go to college and grad school. There are plenty of people enrolling in Disney Aspire who never had a chance to finish High School or go to college, or maybe want to have a chance to learn a trade.

Yes, I might be a bit biased, but I think it's really important to know that Disney Aspire is truly an investment back in the employees.
Excellent post. WDW does care about their cast.

Tom P.

Oh absolutely, the thing with Disney is people will keep paying for it. I’ll share a secret with you guys, Disney world is the cash cow. It doesn’t matter how awful the service is, ****ty the parks are or whatever there will always be people willing to pay to come from around the world. Another secret, Disney world appeals to first time visitors as opposed to seasoned guests. Look at how nice and up kept Disneyland is compared to wdw, Disneyland always gets the top of the line product. One thing I will never understand is why people keep going back to Disney world over and over and not go to other Disney parks around the world.
I think a good part of it is location as well. Far more people live on the east coast than the west coast. Getting to Florida is simply easier and less expensive for a majority of the US population than getting to California.

Tom Morrow

Okay, this seems different than what I knew about. Pretty crazy.

tribbleorlfl

Like you, we've also noticed a general decline in CM engagement and service. I think it all boils down to two things. 1) WDW has gotten so big, and attendance has increased to the point where they just can't be choosy with hiring anymore. They pretty much have to take anyone with a pulse that applies just to properly staff the place. 2) When TDO looks at guests simply as $s, that mentality is bound to filter down to the line-level cast at some point.

Though, I'll be honest, we hadn't experienced a specific instance of poor CM service in quite some time until last night in Mousegears. I've never seen so few registers open in that place, so they all had lines several people deep. I guess they figured it was a pre-Thanksgiving weeknight and wouldn't be busy. Got a necklace for my daughter and waited at the jewelry counter to check out, which was taking far longer than it should have. I was next in line to checkout when a group of people muscled up to the counter and said, "Is this where we pay?" The CM said "yes" and started helping them instead. When I pointed out to both to her and the group we had been waiting over 10 minutes and were next, they just laughed and she just shrugged her shoulders, saying, "They got to me first."

Tom Morrow

Proof?

Shockingly I’ve also got half a dozen friends who are ex CMs who made a move from Disney to Universal. I know.
I mean, I can't prove that they don't care (though the average attitude of a Universal employee makes it obvious), but look at the age range of people working at Universal. Almost entirely college age.

The Empress Lilly

My favourite conversation was at my local off-site Burger King, as two employees were baking my midnight fries we came to chat about their three jobs. WDW, UNI and BK. For them there was little to choose between the three. Just interchangeable part-time jobs they switched between, often holding two or three.

No local presumably wants to work at EPCOT though, a hellhole to work at.

BraveGirl

I just got back from my 23rd WDW trip and I couldn't disagree with this post more. Maybe it's because we came from 2 days at Universal where we could directly compare levels of service, but my entire party felt the service at WDW was extra magical this time around. In fact, Universal just sent me their post-trip survey and in my comments I wrote "You didn't do anything wrong in particular. It was a pleasant stay, it just wasn't magical like our time in Disney and I don't think that's something you can fix."

Tom Morrow

Universal’s service was stellar from 2010 (Hogsmeade opening) through around 2015-ish. Before Potter it was widely accepted (and rightfully so) that Universal’s guest service level was mediocre at best. They really seemed to turn it around with the success of WWoHP and were seriously giving Disney a run for their money in the service department. Unfortunately since 2016 or so it has fallen significantly. Not quite down to the pre-Potter level but not at a level that meets Disney’s.
Even the service in WWoHP has slipped. As I mentioned before, Potter TM’s initially had to be Potter nuts and prove it, but now they will put anyone there.

General Mayhem

Look closer next time then. Universal team members are almost entirely college age, or mid 20's at most. I promise. There are exceptions, but, ignoring the college program, Disney CM's are a much, much wider demographic on average.
You say this as fact, but as someone who frequents UOR this is extremely far from the truth. Also you might need a little reality check so here you go: Almost 1/4-1/3 of the cast members at Disney also work at Universal. So a lot of the team members you are comparing cast members to are the same people.

Lilofan

You say this as fact, but as someone who frequents UOR this is extremely far from the truth. Also you might need a little reality check so here you go: Almost 1/4-1/3 of the cast members at Disney also work at Universal. So a lot of the team members you are comparing cast members to are the same people.
Where do you get your facts?? WDW employs around 62k. Universal employs around 12k. The math does not work out...

Tom Morrow

I frequent Universal as well and I’m not sure where all these older folks you guys are seeing are working. Perhaps you guys are old enough that it’s hard to distinguish 20 year olds from 30 year olds? The average age is 18-24, like if WDW was only staffed by the College Program. Almost nobody at Universal is a lifer. Almost nobody moves to Orlando because their dream was to work at Universal. The service is worse. Deal with it and stop using praising Universal’s mediocrity because you’re bitter with Disney’s decisions.

Lilofan

I mean, I can't prove that they don't care (though the average attitude of a Universal employee makes it obvious), but look at the age range of people working at Universal. Almost entirely college age.
Staff at Universal that work there can either walk to work or rely of public buses to get to work if they don't have a car thereby the younger set that works at U.S..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom