News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Patcheslee

Does star wars feel like a tilt table? Or does it feel like being in a space ship?

Point being.. you can fool the mind when you busy it with other input...
This made me think of the taste of jello experiment and how the color effects the percieved taste.
If they keep it like the leaked drawings with screens and such it can be fooled preaty well.
And who the heck riding actually knows what it feels like to ride in a space transport anyway!?!?

rsm

What if the bus is equipped for <some> programmed motion simulation ? They could then mask the actual road vibrations with simulated blast-off, asteroid avoidance, entering the atmosphere, etc...
That would work. But from the concept sections of the vehicle it doesn't look like there is a "double boiler" hull floating inside the vehicle. It looks like a bus... with seats.

Incomudro

If a guest isn't willing to suspend their disbelief for a short ride over to Batuu, they probably won't enjoy the rest of their time on the "ship."

For such a highly touted and very expensive premium experience available for a comparatively few people - I would hope that Disney handles this transportation from hotel to planet with a minimum need for passengers to block out the realization that they are on a bus.

Incomudro

Or in Batuu, which has plenty of people walking around who don't look like they came from a galaxy far, far away.

That's different.
And on that subject, Disney did their very best to control the part that they are responsible for - the land, the views etc.
Can't control the guests. ;)

rsm

If a guest isn't willing to suspend their disbelief for a short ride over to Batuu, they probably won't enjoy the rest of their time on the "ship."

While I normally agree that people get too caught up in the need for seamless immersion, I think that HWE set the bar so high that anything less is disappointing, especially when people are paying an arm and a leg for the privilege to not need to flex their suspension of disbelief. This goes back to practicality too - the content for HP has a train for transit, and that is a much more achievable thing to recreate realistically in a theme park than a spaceship descending to a planet, in all fairness. But to me this bus between the hotel and the park would have been the equivalent of Universal building a themed walkway to bridge the two lands. Instead they spared no expense and took it 100% as far as reality would allow. And Disney has taken this about 50% as far as reality would allow.

Communicora

Premium Member
While I normally agree that people get too caught up in the need for seamless immersion, I think that HWE set the bar so high that anything less is disappointing, especially when people are paying an arm and a leg for the privilege to not need to flex their suspension of disbelief. This goes back to practicality too - the content for HP has a train for transit, and that is a much more achievable thing to recreate realistically in a theme park than a spaceship descending to a planet, in all fairness. But to me this bus between the hotel and the park would have been the equivalent of Universal building a themed walkway to bridge the two lands. Instead they spared no expense and took it 100% as far as reality would allow. And Disney has taken this about 50% as far as reality would allow.
I hear what you are saying, but this is about 20 minutes of a much longer and richer experience. Given the audience size, I don't think a comparison to Hogwarts Express makes sense. Hogwarts Express is an attraction as much as it is transportation and one built for tens of thousands of people to use each day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I normally agree that people get too caught up in the need for seamless immersion, I think that HWE set the bar so high that anything less is disappointing, especially when people are paying an arm and a leg for the privilege to not need to flex their suspension of disbelief.

Don't take this to mean the comment to mean 'they don't need to try'

I put this on the level like the Hydrolaters. No one in their right mind really thought there was a sea base deep under EPCOT. But if you want to be entertained, you have to let that reality go, and enjoy the story and environment they were setting up.

rsm

Had Universal just built something at the level of hydrolators I doubt anyone would've bat an eye. That would be an inexpensive way to thematically move large groups of people quickly with a charming amount of fun (exactly like the purpose they served in Epcot). But they didn't do that. They created a huge, expensive, elaborate, and innovative experience where phoneing it in would've probably been fine, as people arn't paying any more for access to the land just because they went above and beyond with the transit.

Disney IS asking people to pay above and beyond a normal park experience to have the "most" and the "best" of a thematic experience. And while I agree that it doesn't make sense to throw the same amount of money at R&D for a ride that 100 people use per day compared to a ride that thousands use per hour I too think that they're billing this a unique experience worth paying for. And part of what makes something like that "worth it" is having things that are elaborate & expensive to execute for the small groups of people they serve.

It costs nothing extra to have the most fun just wandering around GE, suspending your disbelief, role playing, and allowing the fun of it all to create and overwhelmingly enjoyable experience. As soon as you put an upcharge an experience touted with immersion people's expectations rise quickly... otherwise they could have just spent nothing and pretended all by themselves.

Incomudro

Don't take this to mean the comment to mean 'they don't need to try'

I put this on the level like the Hydrolaters. No one in their right mind really thought there was a sea base deep under EPCOT. But if you want to be entertained, you have to let that reality go, and enjoy the story and environment they were setting up.

This is slightly like the Hydrolators but much more.
The Hydrolators were "mass transportation" designed to serve thousands daily.
The transportation between the hotel and the land - heck - the hotel and the land are supposed to be far beyond anything Disney has done before.
Disney's words, not mine.
Look, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying this will be poorly executed and I certainly don't want it to be.
I want it to be Disney Magic as we have seen Disney do many times before.
I'm simply questioning the "how" based on the bones.
I'm curious, not critical.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is slightly like the Hydrolators but much more.
The Hydrolators were "mass transportation" designed to serve thousands daily.
The transportation between the hotel and the land - heck - the hotel and the land are supposed to be far beyond anything Disney has done before.
Disney's words, not mine.
Look, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying this will be poorly executed and I certainly don't want it to be.
I want it to be Disney Magic as we have seen Disney do many times before.
I'm simply questioning the "how" based on the bones.
I'm curious, not critical.

We all want to know what they will do here.. but I'll point back to the comment that spurred this tangent..
"If a guest isn't willing to suspend their disbelief for a short ride over to Batuu, they probably won't enjoy the rest of their time on the "ship.""

Point being that people questioning if it will 100% convincing and then set out to show how it won't aren't really in sync with the audience.. just like the comment quoted above highlights. Theme park entertainment requires a willing participant. The level of credibility and convincing can only go so far. We talk about the 'suspension of disbelief' -- not the idea of tricking people that they really are in space.

As it's been highlighted multiple times.. there are lots of ways Disney can be convincing here.. or basic... we just don't know until it's revealed. The concept art really doesn't establish much at all.. I mean it is not really clear if the image is the dock, or the bus. The image could be interpreted either way. To me the big take away from the image is showing people standing... vs sitting. As that would radically impact what kind of motion things could be in play on the shuttle.

My point being is.. as the earlier post mentioned... people have to be willing participants.. and its on Disney to wow you and make those willing.. to have the best experience possible.

Incomudro

We all want to know what they will do here.. but I'll point back to the comment that spurred this tangent..
"If a guest isn't willing to suspend their disbelief for a short ride over to Batuu, they probably won't enjoy the rest of their time on the "ship.""

Point being that people questioning if it will 100% convincing and then set out to show how it won't aren't really in sync with the audience.. just like the comment quoted above highlights. Theme park entertainment requires a willing participant. The level of credibility and convincing can only go so far. We talk about the 'suspension of disbelief' -- not the idea of tricking people that they really are in space.

As it's been highlighted multiple times.. there are lots of ways Disney can be convincing here.. or basic... we just don't know until it's revealed. The concept art really doesn't establish much at all.. I mean it is not really clear if the image is the dock, or the bus. The image could be interpreted either way. To me the big take away from the image is showing people standing... vs sitting. As that would radically impact what kind of motion things could be in play on the shuttle.

My point being is.. as the earlier post mentioned... people have to be willing participants.. and its on Disney to wow you and make those willing.. to have the best experience possible.

I agree.
I just wonder how the underpinnings of a bus aren't going to be realized.
This transportation should fall into the realm of "How did they do that??!!"
Not "Oh, I just realized I'm on a bus but I can have fun with this if I allow myself to."
Point being that people who don't know how it's done ahead of time shouldn't be able to figure it out without trying to.
Hopefully it'll be amazing.

RobWDW1971

That's different.
And on that subject, Disney did their very best to control the part that they are responsible for - the land, the views etc.
Can't control the guests. ;)
Uh, pretty sure they were "responsible" for providing the wandering droids, aliens, bounty hunters, creatures, Jedi, light saber fights, etc. The dude who built rocks and beige buildings did what he was responsible for - everyone else, not so much.

The Empress Lilly

I really think this is going to be one of the challenges with this hotel. No matter how much Disney markets this as an "experience", there are still going to be guests who expect a normal hotel. It's going to be a tricky message to get across.
For forty years visitors to EPCOT have screamed for beer, coasters and toons. Because they paid for an amusement park, and therefore EPCOT should be just like any other amusement park. Oh well...

Your mechanism is strong and pervasive, no message can overcome it. This is why we can't have nice things at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom