Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TP2000

I can't believe no one mentioned how there really are 3 attractions in the land:

I know what he's getting at but...

Oh, geez. I wish they'd stop talking like that, it just makes them sound desperate. Or worse, like sock puppets controlled by 25 year old interns writing talking points for the Marketing team.

I mean. In all honesty he’s right. These hyper themed lands are an attraction in and by themselves.

Sure. I enjoy a sundown stroll through Cars Land as the neon turns on as much as anyone. Most of the World Showcase pavilions have no rides, but all are fun to poke around in for a bit. But when execs make public statements like this it just comes off sounding smarmy and like canned corporate-speak.

Like when Bob Chapek tried to say, with a straight face, that Star Wars Land had "the most characters of any land we've ever built, because every Cast Member has a story and is a character on Batuu!"

Very few people buy that kind of crap. Most people beyond the 8th grade have a good BS meter for this kind of talk.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I mean. In all honesty he’s right. These hyper themed lands are an attraction in and by themselves.
Personally, I just wish there was more actors/creatures/droids/something in the land. I'm fine with there being two rides as long as there is depth in the land. But when you talk up an app with some puzzles as being able to "interact" with the land then...yeah...

I love Star Wars but I just wish there was more. More what? I honestly don't know. I know WDI dumped their hearts into this project and intended there to be more so I want to point the blame at the budget people. When I take a friend into the land for their first time and their reaction is "why is everything a store or food? Where are the aliens and droids?" then you might have a problem. It just feels empty. I hope they flesh out the "interactivity" in the land with characters or just something that doesn't require me to use another ever lackluster Disney app. It's all stuff that can be fixed, but will they?

I hope they use that Hondo costume for daily use eventually. Or maybe some kind of Mandalorian tie in?

It'd be nice if they could use that Tie or XWing drone that's apparently sitting in a roped off section of the CM parking lot with Area 51 level security for regular flights.

I don't hate the land at all but it hurts to see so much potential being wasted for reasons that are probably all because "it won't bring extra money in".

RobWDW1971

Personally, I just wish there was more actors/creatures/droids/something in the land. I'm fine with there being two rides as long as there is depth in the land. But when you talk up an app with some puzzles as being able to "interact" with the land then...yeah...

I love Star Wars but I just wish there was more. More what? I honestly don't know. I know WDI dumped their hearts into this project and intended there to be more so I want to point the blame at the budget people. When I take a friend into the land for their first time and their reaction is "why is everything a store or food? Where are the aliens and droids?" then you might have a problem. It just feels empty. I hope they flesh out the "interactivity" in the land with characters or just something that doesn't require me to use another ever lackluster Disney app. It's all stuff that can be fixed, but will they?

I hope they use that Hondo costume for daily use eventually. Or maybe some kind of Mandalorian tie in?

It'd be nice if they could use that Tie or XWing drone that's apparently sitting in a roped off section of the CM parking lot with Area 51 level security for regular flights.

Careful now, that type of criticism will get you labeled a “paid (by some unknown nefarious entity) shill” around here ;)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Prove to us that you’re not. Post something anywhere on this messageboard not related to SWGE or some other crybaby slam at Disney.

EE05C803-D149-4365-AED7-0092C7FC80C0.gif

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

I don't hate the land at all but it hurts to see so much potential being wasted for reasons that are probably all because "it won't bring extra money in".

I do agree with most of this. Even though I really like the land it’s disappointing that they chose not to rollout more of the character and interactive stuff right away. The Kylo choking show, Vi, Chewie, Rey and the Storm troopers are all good but some random droids and aliens walking around would go along way. They don’t even really have to do much. Just every day Batuu life. Having Hondo out there on the bridge overlooking the Falcon would be awesome. That costume is too good just to use once.

Incomudro

I do agree with most of this. Even though I really like the land it’s disappointing that they chose not to rollout more of the character and interactive stuff right away. The Kylo choking show, Vi, Chewie, Rey and the Storm troopers are all good but some random droids and aliens walking around would go along way. They don’t even really have to do much. Just every day Batuu life. Having Hondo out there on the bridge overlooking the Falcon would be awesome. That costume is too good just to use once.

I've always thought and expected that there should be alien actors in the market area as there would be in a real bazaar.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

If The Mandalorian survives the show he should be one of the roaming characters in the land.

Nope! Sorry, since WDI in their infinite wisdom locked Star Wars land to VERY specific time and place, he can’t enter (or he’d have to be in a wheelchair gumming his Tip Yip through his helmet) because, um, immersion or something.

Good news though, he can still walk around Tomorrowland at his current age with Boba Fett and Darth Vader taking pictures with guests!!!

Genius, WDI, genius.

Favreau has said that The Mandalorianis set five years after the fall of the Empire in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) and 25 years before the rise of the First Order, the authoritarian regime that is firmly in control of the galaxy when Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) begins.

Last edited:

TP2000

Exactly! I couldn't agree more.

While all the stuff WDI had originally planned and designed for this land would have been nice; rooftop stunt shows, interactive characters in dark alleys, bounty hunters threatening you in the Cantina, roaming droids beep-booping around, etc., etc. All they really need to lift this land out of its sleepy doldrums is some continuity characters and some unique visuals.

Dare I say it, perhaps even some Instagrammable character visuals for Millennials desperate for Likes?

This isn't rocket science, it's only a theme park. And yet today we had senior WDI execs like Chris Beatty and Scott Trowbridge appearing on stage at IAAPA next to ornamentally placed women of color and announcing that there's a bunch of interactive characters and really unique, fun elements they can add to this land in the future.

And I'm sitting here thinking... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? The Falcon ride was kind of blah and your big ride doesn't work! Was a 3% attendance drop for 2019 not enough for you? Do you want to wait for attendance to drop 10% before you roll out all your cool stuff???

Okay, maybe that was a little over the top and I just need to go make a cocktail and relax. But you get my point. :)

Last edited:

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Exactly! I couldn't agree more.

While all the stuff WDI had originally planned and designed for this land would have been nice; rooftop stunt shows, interactive characters in dark alleys, bounty hunters threatening you in the Cantina, roaming droids beep-booping around, etc., etc. All they really need to lift this land out of its sleepy doldrums is some continuity characters and some unique visuals.

Dare I say it, perhaps even some Instagrammable character visuals for Millennials desperate for Likes?

This isn't rocket science, it's only a theme park. And yet today we had senior WDI execs like Chris Beatty and Scott Trowbridge appearing on stage at IAAPA next to ornamentally placed women of color and announcing that there's a bunch of interactive characters and really unique, fun elements they can add to this land in the future.

And I'm sitting here thinking... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? The Falcon ride was kind of blah and your big ride doesn't work! Was a 3% attendance drop for 2019 not enough for you? Do you want to wait for attendance to drop 10% before you roll out all your cool stuff???

Okay, maybe that was a little over the top and I just need to go make a cocktail and relax. But you get my point. :)
I’m not defending the mouse, more of playing the devils advocate.... could it be they are holding off on some of this as it will be part of their new hotel experience and by offering it in the land it reduces the “value” of the hotel when it opens? Just a thought.

Phil12

I want to see Buzz Lightyear, Woody and Marilyn Monroe in Batuu as an example of real life. We all know that the space-time fabric has several rips that allow matter and energy to travel from anywhere to anywhere.

TP2000

I’m not defending the mouse, more of playing the devils advocate.... could it be they are holding off on some of this as it will be part of their new hotel experience and by offering it in the land it reduces the “value” of the hotel when it opens? Just a thought.

Maybe. But that's kind of pathetic of Disney execs, if not just downright mean, if it's true.

All permit and online information points that the Star Wars Hotel will have no more than 100 rooms, perhaps a dozen or two less. But let's just say 100. At triple occupancy with every room booked that's 300 people per day. That's tiny. Like really, really tiny. There's 30,000 other Disney owned hotel rooms at WDW. The Star Wars Hotel represents 0.33% of the rooms on WDW property. That's one third of one percent (and I was told there wouldn't be math!).

Millennium Falcon gets 1,600 riders per hour. That means that the entire Star Wars Hotel with 100% occupancy per day gets you the amount of people who experience the Millennium Falcon ride in 12 minutes.

So they are saving all the coolest stuff they used to claim would be in the land generally (droids, interactive characters, stunt shows, entertainment, etc.) for one third of one percent who pay for the most expensive hotel on WDW property instead of offering that up to the average theme park customer who is so low down on the totem pole and is such trailer trash that all they did was buy a $100 ticket to DHS? :oops:

I'm not buying that was their plan. They obviously had lots of cool stuff planned for Star Wars Land, but then obviously it all got cut from the budget. Why is that? Who made that call? And how is it working out for them?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom