Indiana Jones Renovation (2020)

Homemade Imagineering

It's certainly of that era where there was a push for edgier attractions with very loud sound effects, violent fiery explosions, as well as extremely elaborate waiting lines. It's very Universal Florida in the 90s.
Yes I totally see where you are coming from and this is exactly what I was talking about! It’s unfortunate that Disney and especially universal have moved away from this. Hopefully rise of the resistance will be like this.

PiratesMansion

Unfortunately so, but our attraction was the first version of that ride system and once it got to the third version in Tokyo they had time to work out many of the kinks.
So they're incapable of taking those solutions to those kinks from two subsequent rides so that the original ride functions effectively?

That doesn't hold water. They're just lazy.

Disneylover152

Indiana Jones Adventure was closed for refurbishment on my trip about two weeks ago. I wonder what they did then that couldn't have just waited two months until January comes.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Indiana Jones Adventure was closed for refurbishment on my trip about two weeks ago. I wonder what they did then that couldn't have just waited two months until January comes.
Probably something that affected the standard operation of the attraction as opposed to the changes they have planned next year that the basic operation of the attraction may not depend upon. Upgrades and cosmetic changes and much needed maintenance.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I've noticed that some more recent articles have been trying to connect the closure next year with the upcoming Indy 5 movie in 2021, while still only citing the permits as the only known knowledge of the refurb. Basically, they are drawing conclusions.

smooch

Yes I totally see where you are coming from and this is exactly what I was talking about! It’s unfortunate that Disney and especially universal have moved away from this. Hopefully rise of the resistance will be like this.

I hope RotR is like this since it is the big E Ticket of their pride and joy, hopefully the queue (especially the outdoor section) is more than just those rebel base turrets and then winding pathways amidst the forest area.

THE Monorail Lime

After 25 years of immense popularity, the ride deserves to be down for a year for a full refurb.

There's no excuses anymore for not fixing the Chamber of Destiny because they "can't get old parts" (if that's really the reason). Technology is plenty good enough now to tear it out and redo it with new and long lasting tech. Same with every other scene.
The building would come crashing down

Ismael Flores

I really hope they fix the queue effects and figure out a way to properly integrate the fastpass line without require half of the queue to spill out into the walkway while the themed queue area stays vacant.

The effects that were in the queue that required hands on interactivity should just be made to run automatically every so often. Yes i am talking about the falling roof in the spike room. They can maybe even add some projections in hte bat caves so that there is more activity in there as well.

Hoping here for a good update and refurb

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

If you go to the 6:40 mark, it's a dark video but you can see the car moves halfway across the bridge, stalls, and then car drops a bit (via the car, not the bridge), and then takes off again. If I remember correctly now, the car just speed over the bridge.

Just got off it. The car stalled on the bridge.

George Lucas on a Bench

On one of the last days of DLR operation, I went on Indiana Jones.

As a nearly lifelong fan of Universal Studios Florida, having gone to that park since it originally opened, I also have a fondness for various Disney attractions that emerged in the wake of Universal's opening. What really defined USF in those Ghostbusterian years were edgier attractions. Loud, turbulent, fiery PG-13 experiences with monsters, disasters and highly detailed waiting lines. I've always felt that Disney took cues from USF and suddenly various thrill attractions, many with movie and TV show tie-ins, appeared in their parks. Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Alien Encounter and, to a lesser extent, Soarin', which was a relaxing Back to the Future.

But Indiana Jones is probably Disney's greatest monument to the 1990s Universal attractions. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I was reminded how much I appreciate this one and am reminded of the best of Universal's OG attractions when I go on it. Everything on the ride was working as far as I could tell and as best as it does these days, which was a shocker. The waiting line is epic, the ride is extremely thrilling and the entire experience is satisfying. It feels like a great adventure. And yes, of course it's better than Rise of the Resistance.

TrainsOfDisney

As a nearly lifelong fan of Universal Studios Florida, having gone to that park since it originally opened, I also have a fondness for various Disney attractions that emerged in the wake of Universal's opening. What really defined USF in those Ghostbusterian years were edgier attractions. Loud, turbulent, fiery PG-13 experiences with monsters, disasters and highly detailed waiting lines. I've always felt that Disney took cues from USF and suddenly various thrill attractions, many with movie and TV show tie-ins, appeared in their parks. Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Alien Encounter and, to a lesser extent, Soarin', which was a relaxing Back to the Future.

But Indiana Jones is probably Disney's greatest monument to the 1990s Universal attractions. Maybe I was just in the right mood, but I was reminded how much I appreciate this one and am reminded of the best of Universal's OG attractions when I go on it. Everything on the ride was working as far as I could tell and as best as it does these days, which was a shocker. The waiting line is epic, the ride is extremely thrilling and the entire experience is satisfying. It feels like a great adventure. And yes, of course it's better than Rise of the Resistance.

I agree. Going across and under the bridge with flame, fog, and lasers working is probably the most impressive things Disney has done.

The line does a great job preparing you for the attraction and doesn’t pretend to be asking for “recruits” - rather it makes you smile and laugh.

smooch

Out of all the thrill rides, I think Indy is my absolute favorite in DLR. I used to say Tower of Terror was my favorite but sadly that ship has long sailed. Indy is just the most impressive ride for me in terms of concept, scale, and execution. Even with so many effects broken, it is still one of the most amazing attractions in the whole resort. It has the immersion and storytelling, it has physical thrill and excitement, it has repeatability. It is a must ride every time I'm in the park. I really miss the changing doors in the beginning instead of just projection mapping, and I wish something would be done about the silly bug projection room, but despite all that it's still so incredible to ride. Every time I ride, no matter how many times I've been on it and know what to expect, I am in awe when we enter the main chamber and see everything going on. Seeing the other vehicle going over the bridge, looking around and seeing all the different sections of the ride, it's just so amazing and the reveal is pulled off incredibly well.

smooch

I agree. Going across and under the bridge with flame, fog, and lasers working is probably the most impressive things Disney has done.

The line does a great job preparing you for the attraction and doesn’t pretend to be asking for “recruits” - rather it makes you smile and laugh.

The comment about the queue is so true. I absolutely love the whole queue of the ride, the outdoor jungle area is so cool and makes me feel like I'm actually out in the jungle. When you go inside the entrance I love how it starts out with a temple interior and as you move in you go into the caves like you really would to get into a huge underground chamber. I love the projection room the most, I truly don't mind how slow the line is moving when I'm in that room, the films playing on the projector are so fun and memorable. Especially the way Sallah talks about how there are SPECIAL BELTS to keep the riders safe 🤣

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
As great as Indy is the current state of the attraction is an embarrassment when you compare it to what it was. No more different motion profiles for the jeeps, no rotating door effect, slow moving snake, etc. You have to pray for the boulder scene to be working. At least they got the jeeps to be almost as rough like they used to be. There was a period of time when they were pretty pathetic in terms of motion.

Sailor310

You used to really get the sense that the bridge was going to collapse.
However, it IS a beautiful queue, the tall, jungley foliage, the river. Imagine if had they put it somewhere else-with blacktop and concrete.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom